Can you solo tame mantis

Billyray

Yes you can! I have tamed about 12 mantis, four 150's, solo. If you have a Wyvern it's the easiest because you step on the mantis with your wing and it cannot move until you stand up out of the seating position. When you feed it, jump back on the wyvern and stand on it again, wait 3 minutes, dismount follow and feed, then get back on and stand on it...... 150 takes about 15 horns, I usually have 18 with me at all times. I wear my desert gear and use about 3-4 things of bug repellent for a 150. The mantis will not aggro on the wyvern unless you stand up without bug repellent on. If you do accidentally aggro you'll need to fly away until the mantis is rendered out of the screen then come back and that should reset it's temperament. Before you start you'll want to coax your target away from any other mantis and kill the the others before you start. Also kill every vulture you can see!

Bug repellent last for 600 seconds so about every 180 seconds it'll be ready to eat. depending on how many seconds it takes you to dismount, follow and feed you may get 4 feedings out of 600 seconds. That's what I strive to do.  If you use this just remember these two things: 1. DO NOT stand up if the bug repellent is not activated; 2. Keep the vultures in the whole area killed because the mantis will aggro on to any vulture near it and it usually dies from the vultures.

If you don't have a wyvern yet (such as my first 150 tamed mantis), you would best be served using a Rex. Mantis will not aggro on Rex's either so you sit on the Rex until time to feed, make sure your BR is active, jump off and feed. When using the Rex you cannot stand on the mantis to keep it in place so you'll want to keep constant patrol killing off any vulture you see in the area.  I also kill the other things off around the mantis too. The mantis will not aggro on you unless you kill another mantis around it or stand up without BR.

The purpose for standing on the mantis with the wyvern is to keep it from walking around and being killed by a vulture.  

Hope this helps! Good Luck

1 minute ago, Kandria said:

Make a tame cage that is small (like mine was 1x2) with solid walls, and use bug repellent, and ghillie, or the cactus broth.

Air drop them in and let them calm down then approach with very, slow caution and feed, most of the time they won't aggro through the walls (most of the time..)

If you use this method (PvP) because you cannot pick up wild in PvE or if you build a trap and coax it into your trap- what I have found if it aggros on your walls just replace your wall it's fighting with a new stone wall and it'll lose aggro. 

• 2 weeks later...

They don't aggro to Rex's either and you can use the rex's face to trap them.  Dismount, feed horn, re-mount and wait 3 minutes.  Make sure bug repellent is on before you dismount.  If you aggro the mantis, quickly re-mount and don't move.  As long as you don't do any more damage to the mantis you won't screw up your taming bar and it will de-aggro rather quickly.

The wiki gives an example of a smaller trap that does not require the use of bug repellent.

1 foundation. Put 4 walls around it. Put 3 walls on the next level. Place a ramp in the gap leading to the ground. I use a stone foundation and walls and an adobe ramp so the trap doesn't get destroyed if the mantis aggros on it.

Then you can aggro the mantis however you like. Dismount your rex or wyvern long enough to get its attention or use a flyer, then just walk around the trap and lead it in. It will be completely stuck and you have no need for bug juice, plus they tend to face the ramp as a default position when not aggroed so you can feed the butt from the flat side of the trap. Sometimes depending on the slope of wherever I made the trap I'll put a second foundation on the flat side so I don't have to jump to feed it. It can be pretty difficult to get the mantis to aggro on you again if it's taken to hitting the trap, but if you're using a wyvern you can just use the c key to try to push it in.

So you can tame it even if aggro'd?

55 minutes ago, Nim said:

The wiki gives an example of a smaller trap that does not require the use of bug repellent.

1 foundation. Put 4 walls around it. Put 3 walls on the next level. Place a ramp in the gap leading to the ground. I use a stone foundation and walls and an adobe ramp so the trap doesn't get destroyed if the mantis aggros on it.

Then you can aggro the mantis however you like. Dismount your rex or wyvern long enough to get its attention or use a flyer, then just walk around the trap and lead it in. It will be completely stuck and you have no need for bug juice, plus they tend to face the ramp as a default position when not aggroed so you can feed the butt from the flat side of the trap. Sometimes depending on the slope of wherever I made the trap I'll put a second foundation on the flat side so I don't have to jump to feed it. It can be pretty difficult to get the mantis to aggro on you again if it's taken to hitting the trap, but if you're using a wyvern you can just use the c key to try to push it in.

I used the wyvern method after reading about it here. Was able to tame a level 145 very easily.

Works even better if you have 2 wyvern. The reason is that when you dismount the wyvern to feed it a horn, it will then be able to move. If one player on a wyvern (or Rex I assume) sits on the mantis through the whole tame, the other player can do the feeding and the mantis will never move from its spot the whole time. You still need to take all the normal cautions such as: always have bug repellent active when dismounted, wear ghille armor, only approach from the rear, and don't touch the mantis. Cool thing is, if you do aggro it, you just move away and it can't kill you and will lose aggro same as normal even though it can't move.

• 5 months later...

I know this thread is a bit older, however what wasnt mentioned is, that since hte mantis ignores the wyvern, when you aggro it while taming, just hop on it and wait out the running while nailing the mantis in place. after about 30s it will go back to normal and you can feed it again. No need to go out of render (maybe they fixed this in recent patches).

As most people have said the Wyvern technique is the best way. Just make sure you have bug repellent on you, also do not attack the mantis no matter what. If the mantis attacks it is fine, but if something attacks the mantis your taming progress will drop, I have a natural taming pen in the mountains where I blocked the land with two behemoths and I throw mantis's in there so nothing can attack them.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 1:58 PM, Razorsharp said:

Yes you can! I have tamed about 12 mantis, four 150's, solo. If you have a Wyvern it's the easiest because you step on the mantis with your wing and it cannot move until you stand up out of the seating position. When you feed it, jump back on the wyvern and stand on it again, wait 3 minutes, dismount follow and feed, then get back on and stand on it...... 150 takes about 15 horns, I usually have 18 with me at all times. I wear my desert gear and use about 3-4 things of bug repellent for a 150. The mantis will not aggro on the wyvern unless you stand up without bug repellent on. If you do accidentally aggro you'll need to fly away until the mantis is rendered out of the screen then come back and that should reset it's temperament. Before you start you'll want to coax your target away from any other mantis and kill the the others before you start. Also kill every vulture you can see!

Bug repellent last for 600 seconds so about every 180 seconds it'll be ready to eat. depending on how many seconds it takes you to dismount, follow and feed you may get 4 feedings out of 600 seconds. That's what I strive to do.  If you use this just remember these two things: 1. DO NOT stand up if the bug repellent is not activated; 2. Keep the vultures in the whole area killed because the mantis will aggro on to any vulture near it and it usually dies from the vultures.

If you don't have a wyvern yet (such as my first 150 tamed mantis), you would best be served using a Rex. Mantis will not aggro on Rex's either so you sit on the Rex until time to feed, make sure your BR is active, jump off and feed. When using the Rex you cannot stand on the mantis to keep it in place so you'll want to keep constant patrol killing off any vulture you see in the area.  I also kill the other things off around the mantis too. The mantis will not aggro on you unless you kill another mantis around it or stand up without BR.

The purpose for standing on the mantis with the wyvern is to keep it from walking around and being killed by a vulture.  

Hope this helps! Good Luck

This helps ALOT! Ty!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived