Best Practice for maintaining Scorched Earth & The Island maps

Charlie12345

Good morning,

I am playing on PS4 and was wanting to use 'The Island' and 'Scorched Earth' as PVP on official servers.  I am aware you can transfer players between these two servers and I can transfer dinos from SE to the Island/The Center.

What is was wondering is what is the best way of maintaining a tribe in both.  Is it to have a high fortitude player for SE (with SE tools unlocked) and a separate player who stays on the Island (without any SE engrams unlocked).  The SE player can then tame SE dinos and transfer them to the other player on the Island.  

Or is it best to have a single character who you move back and forth between the two map types and has a mix SE and normal engrams?

Thanks everyone,

Charlie

3 hours ago, Charlie12345 said:

Housatonic a very good point.  That explains why the alpha tribe on our xbox server had closed in the obelisk.  However, I thought you could use obelisks or simple drops to upload/download stuff?

You can, but there's many complaints all over about official PvP servers where all these points are blocked. It's how big tribes fight off invasions from other servers. They do it specifically to prevent people from getting to the transfers.

Im on the 2 separate characters train, I am on PvE but It much easier to manage with 2 separate. I like building up on The Island then moving the stuff to SE without having a cooldown timer on my player. It was a little hard to swallow at first having a level 81 character going down to a level 25 (Old player save) but its worth it in the long run, as long as you can supply your needs. 

11 hours ago, Charlie12345 said:

Good morning,

I am playing on PS4 and was wanting to use 'The Island' and 'Scorched Earth' as PVP on official servers.  I am aware you can transfer players between these two servers and I can transfer dinos from SE to the Island/The Center.

What is was wondering is what is the best way of maintaining a tribe in both.  Is it to have a high fortitude player for SE (with SE tools unlocked) and a separate player who stays on the Island (without any SE engrams unlocked).  The SE player can then tame SE dinos and transfer them to the other player on the Island.  

Or is it best to have a single character who you move back and forth between the two map types and has a mix SE and normal engrams?

Thanks everyone,

Charlie

Build bases on both servers around a supply drop, box it in urself to have unlimited xfers.. before they block them

3 hours ago, Rancor said:

I personally have been using two characters, one on each server. I felt that if i got captured, or blocked in on one server I couldn't transfer over to help/imprint/play on the other. Especially with some severs going down for over 24 hours... Safer option but slows the progress of my characters levels. 

Hmm. If you have one account, but characters on two servers, I know there are no problem with that. 

But if you transfer one of the characters to be on the same server as the other character, seems like something bad will happen to one of them. You can only login as one character, and the game doesn't give you an option as to which (at least on the PC, this is tied to your steam account, not the character name if understand how it works).

Are you thinking you would upload both characters to the cloud, then just download the one you want to play with on the server you want to play on?

It can't really help the other character on the other server. I think what you are really doing is giving yourself a backup server. If one server goes south, you can continue playing on the other server. Also if not all killed, you can transfer the dinos from one server to the other server. You would need to unclaim them, and then claim them with your other character.

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, BaMxBooZeLLed said:

Only downside to having separate characters is you don't get the Imprint bonus on tames you have transferred to the other player. 

You sure about that? 

I've transferred wyverns to the Island, created a new character there, and I do get the imprint bonus.

The characters are linked through your steam ID, not the character name or anything like that. As long as you are actually the one that did the imprinting and you use the same steam ID on any server where you transfer a creature, I think you still get the imprint bonus.

Similar thing happens for transferring stuff. Anything you put in the ARK under the same steam ID for a character is retrievable.

The only downside I have found so far of having two characters, is that you can't transfer stuff over in your inventory. There are a small amount of items that will only transfer that way. One of which is wyvern milk.

You would think the other downside would be the character leveling, but in one hour on the Island I can level to about 65. Just one run of the swamp cave on a high level frog does the trick :D I like leveling, so not a problem for me. A couple more swamp cave runs (maybe about 5, I don't recall), gets me to level 80 and I can pretty much do anything I need to do at that point.

On 1/6/2017 at 0:40 PM, BaMxBooZeLLed said:

Im on the 2 separate characters train, I am on PvE but It much easier to manage with 2 separate. I like building up on The Island then moving the stuff to SE without having a cooldown timer on my player. It was a little hard to swallow at first having a level 81 character going down to a level 25 (Old player save) but its worth it in the long run, as long as you can supply your needs. 

I did the same thing, until I lost the SE character in some freak accident (But with the DCs, wyverns kited to our bases, and whatnot I just haven't returned. I play official PvE, and found the 2 character was the easiest. 

22 hours ago, wildbill said:

*Snip*

Im on Xbox One. Just to clarify I'm referring to the "Brofist" bonus in the top right when you are riding the tame, not the overall stats you gain from imprinting. So even though I named my character the exact same on both servers it doesnt like the other me I guess. 

7 minutes ago, BaMxBooZeLLed said:

Im on Xbox One. Just to clarify I'm referring to the "Brofist" bonus in the top right when you are riding the tame, not the overall stats you gain from imprinting. So even though I named my character the exact same on both servers it doesnt like the other me I guess. 

Yup i also tried this. Makes sense. I like the idea, then you need to raise on the server you play most.

1 hour ago, BaMxBooZeLLed said:

Ah, so maybe this works differently between steam and Xbox One. Possibly this is a bug, and should be posted there. I'm thinking that way it works on the PC is the correct way, where you do get the "Brofist" bonus after transferring a creature and using it with a different character under the same steam ID.

Archived