WC needs to change Imprinting

Unseen

Where I understand most arguing points, all of those that I've heard/read that oppose making it less of a chore seem to imply that someone who spends more time playing should get more while not understanding that decreasing total amount of time to breed/imprint/number of imprints required would "benefit casuals" and "no lifers". "No lifers" would not suddenly be lose the ability to imprint. The only reason to keep it as is, is simply to prevent casuals from being able to imprint. Seems a little childish

As I said, I understand the mentality "want more? work more" however we aren't talking about work. It's a videogame. Making it a little easier for "casuals" to imprint/breed would not make the game unbalanced and I'd argue the opposite, it creates the possibility of a more balanced game. Time invested is always going to separate "casuals" and "no lifers" however I fail to see why imprinting should be the line in the sand. Time invested should only affect grinding and rapid leveling. That should be the "line" and where I generally have a little wiggle room as more time should yield more mats.

Seeing as people like to use real world examples, I'll offer one. If you earn more than your neighbour due to having taken a more financially rewarding career path, due to them having chose to take a couple extra gap years, is it fair to tell your neighbour that despite them being willing to go back to college/university that they aren't allowed to. Despite it being possible for them to attend night classes, you aren't happy with them eventually being in the same financial situation as you. Not because it isn't possible, because it is/can be, but because you simply said no. Keeping the poor, well, poor. Ey lads? 

I actively encourage someone to reasonably explain why the neighbour shouldn't be allowed to at least try, given his willingness. Does effort/willingness/ability mean nothing or is it that you feel more entitled then he? The neighbour who had the head start, presuming both take the exact same route from here on out, still has several years of income/experience on the poorer neighbour.

9 hours ago, ninjaridz said:

I asked jat for tribe imprinting process during the extra life 24 hour stream and was told the standard thing "I'm sure there is a mod creater who could do that" I play official only on xbox so.. no mod will help me!

I find this rather despicable. Essentially a middle finger to all those who play on a console. Acknowledging the issue but passing responsibility onto someone who isn't under the employ of the company that sold/created the product.

If account sharing is truly the way forward I'd love to see wildcard contact microsoft and explain to them that they advise, that if xbox players wish to use an ingame feature, they need to potentially violate TOS. If they did so, please post the response on the forums. Would love to know how that conversation ends. GG & RIP.

I can't think of a wiggle or jive that makes that acceptable. If so, let me take a look at Wild Cards TOS........The Option of violating the TOS, right?...............because that's ok, it's an option they gave us.........I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. I'd be curious of the potential implications that could  have on a developer who wishes to continue publishing games on the platform.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Typh0n90 said:

Where I understand most arguing points, all of those that I've heard/read that oppose making it less of a chore seem to imply that someone who spends more time playing should get more while not understanding that decreasing total amount of time to breed/imprint/number of imprints required would "benefit casuals" and "no lifers". "No lifers" would not suddenly be lose the ability to imprint. The only reason to keep it as is, is simply to prevent casuals from being able to imprint. Seems a little childish

As I said, I understand the mentality "want more? work more" however we aren't talking about work. It's a videogame. Making it a little easier for "casuals" to imprint/breed would not make the game unbalanced and I'd argue the opposite, it creates the possibility of a more balanced game. Time invested is always going to separate "casuals" and "no lifers" however I fail to see why imprinting should be the line in the sand. Time invested should only affect grinding and rapid leveling. That should be the "line" and where I generally have a little wiggle room as more time should yield more mats.

Seeing as people like to use real world examples, I'll offer one. If you earn more than your neighbour due to having taken a more financially rewarding career path, due to them having chose to take a couple extra gap years, is it fair to tell your neighbour that despite them being willing to go back to college/university that they aren't allowed to. Despite it being possible for them to attend night classes, you aren't happy with them eventually being in the same financial situation as you. Not because it isn't possible, because it is/can be, but because you simply said no. Keeping the poor, well, poor. Ey lads? 

I actively encourage someone to reasonably explain why the neighbour shouldn't be allowed to at least try, given his willingness. Does effort/willingness/ability mean nothing or is it that you feel more entitled then he? The neighbour who had the head start, presuming both take the exact same route from here on out, still has several years of income/experience on the poorer neighbour.

I find this rather despicable. Essentially a middle finger to all those who play on a console. Acknowledging the issue but passing responsibility onto someone who isn't under the employ of the company that sold/created the product.

If account sharing is truly the way forward I'd love to see wildcard contact microsoft and explain to them that they advise, that if xbox players wish to use an ingame feature, they need to potentially violate TOS. If they did so, please post the response on the forums. Would love to know how that conversation ends. GG & RIP.

I can't think of a wiggle or jive that makes that acceptable. If so, let me take a look at Wild Cards TOS........The Option of violating the TOS, right?...............because that's ok, it's an option they gave us.........I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. I'd be curious of the potential implications that could  have on a developer who wishes to continue publishing games on the platform.

These guys are also the ones who put in the option to alter cuddle timers on dedicateds on consoles, but didnt do it correctly so the time never changes, so if you change your maturation settings past 2 you cant imprint 100% on over 50% of dino. It was broke when they put it in and still to this day have not fixed it. But yay, more new dino!

I actually raised a pteranodon from start to finsh this week.  Not the longest process but the imprinting is a strain.  I managed to not miss a single imprint. Only got 97% imprint and then it matured fully....  so it seems the care timers are what screwed me over.  Wanted care in 1 hr at the end right before maturing fully.  So now I only managed to get 97% because of timer length....  pretty irritating to spend all that time and not get what I should of had.....  100% imprint that is

I love how people say its "optional"

It is like they have never met a gamer in their lives.

Anything less than perfect is about worthless.

Imprinting should IMO just be removed.

The game, specifically the bosses, will be balanced around what a perfectly breed perfectly imprinted dino can do because that is what is "possible" and those who manage to get such dinos AKA freaks of nature who can survive on 2 hours of sleep a night AKA account sharers, would breeze through the fights if they were balanced around what a 150P tame could do, so anything less than an incredibly breed dinos with 100% imprint is trash.

It would be fine if it was every 8 hours but as it is now its just stupid, a tribe mate of mine pulled off a solo no account share 93% imprint on a que, then promptly deleted his toon and quit ARK. That's the level of stupid this mechanic is. When a mechanic in a game demands THAT much attention demands THAT much RL commitment it WILL drive players away, players who have put in thousands of hours and done hundreds of hatchings who just cannot stand that level of demand.

I firmly believe that the only people who LIKE this mechanic are people who share accounts as it provides them a leg up without ACTUALLY completing the demands of the imprint.

Would also love to see a dev attempt to pull of a 100% imprint on a que. I bet we would get imprinting re tuned realy fast!

Like one comment said it's not required, it's just a bonus. And usually people find it really hard cause they raise multiple babies at the same time. I'll admit I'm one of them, I've raised multiple quetzals and wyverns at the same time and got them all to 100%. Even raising a couple argys along with them just to save time. But it's because I choose the right time, when I'm actually free to do those. I think the difficulty of getting to 100% imprint is just right for the reward you get right after. If you don't like not having sleep, then just stick to raising one baby. How hard could waking up at 3am for just 5 minutes be. With wyverns, that's why it's best to raise with a tribe, so you get shifts in getting milk.

I've seen lots of people asking mods for a 2x maturity on events, on top of the permanent double and 3x harvesting and taming rates, but I think it's really unfair for those who have been breeding for so long. Lots of seasoned breeders even said they would totally hate ark for that since they spent days breeding perfect dinos before and now people just get to have it easily. New players have already had it easily cause of perma double.

So yeah, I don't think they should change how imprinting works as of now. If you can't do it then don't, nobody's forcing you to.

12 hours ago, Typh0n90 said:

No, having everybody else and their dilo run around with 100% imprint won't take the imprints away from those who achieved them the hard way. It does make full imprint the new standard, and thus relatively useless though. Not wanting others to have a shiny just because you can't (be bothered to) get that same shiny is a bit childish.
The entire point of imprinting is to give that extra reward to those that go that extra mile. It's not supposed to be the standard, it's not supposed to be on every bred animal - we already have the boosts of combining strong stats into one baby that rewards breeding with higher potential than wild tames! Imprinting is a bonus on top of the bonus for breeding to reward those that go beyond just breeding and raising the baby.

I think a lot of people are missing the point this isn't about no lifers vs Avrg players our tribe had to make a Xbox account that we can all use to imprint because the in game mechanic is just plain wrong. Game like ark are addictive we out thousands of hours to be the best and with imprinting it draws us in. Asking some one to log on every four hours for 12 days is nothing to do with being a good gamer and everything to do with encouraging unhealthy gaming. And yes gaming addiction is a thing and yes people have died from over gaming.    Me personally I don't breed no more why go through all that trouble for it to die to a black screen or a glitch :) 

1 hour ago, LE4SoDeadly said:

I think a lot of people are missing the point this isn't about no lifers vs Avrg players our tribe had to make a Xbox account that we can all use to imprint because the in game mechanic is just plain wrong. Game like ark are addictive we out thousands of hours to be the best and with imprinting it draws us in. Asking some one to log on every four hours for 12 days is nothing to do with being a good gamer and everything to do with encouraging unhealthy gaming. And yes gaming addiction is a thing and yes people have died from over gaming.    Me personally I don't breed no more why go through all that trouble for it to die to a black screen or a glitch :) 

Again... you act like WC forces you into these supposedly "unhealthy" habits... besides the fact that you know nothing about sleep cycles and how to effectively use them in combination with imprinting, this entire game is optional, the devs have repeatedly stated that not everything is or works for everyone and if you feel negative towards it than you should play on a dedicated, single player,  or just take a break from the game entirely. How about ppl start being adults and quit whining cause they can't do everything equally as compared to others.

Just implement tribe imprinting. So it's not up to a single player. Then take turns having unhealthy sleep cycles. 

I've only 100% imprinted a ptera but I have a 90% Spino and 3 rexes above 80%.  They just need to boost imprinting effectiveness enough to give a good 12 hour buffer on some larger dinos, so I don't have to either wake up at absurd times or leave work on my lunch to imprint.

But having that said I don't care if you keep it the same or not. This game will always be ruled by players putting in more time. 

5 hours ago, LE4SoDeadly said:

I spoke to a rep about account sharing. Just going to copy and paste the response for you (bit fiddly because of the formatting)

It was less in regards to damage to the console but rather if their is a clause which states that multiple users, from different parts of the world are allowed to share accounts (a group of 9 in this case) without risking their online accounts being banned or temporarily suspended. In this case we all play the same game. however, it's beneficial to share gamertags

To further explain, the gamertag receives an in game buff that is easier to obtain with 24/7 play. Next to impossible with just myself playing on my gamertag.

The response was

We do recommend not to use the same profile as this may cause authorize charge or may hacked your account, we take this case seriously and if in case our server detected that the same profile was used in different part of the world, this may cause a suspension or banned. All the activities is being recorded and monitored by our Enforcement team.

And what we can suggest is to use or create a new profile if your friends want to be a part of Xbox live community and we will be glad to welcome them.

The bit that caught my attention was this "we take this case seriously and if in case our server detected that the same profile was used in different part of the world, this may cause a suspension or banned."

Incase someone is curious, I had to specify as they thought I was referring to the console. " Just a heads up, you will be able to download profiles on your console as long you allowed them to use your console and their account region is with the same location as yours. And please note that if you will download a profile on your console and you set your profile as your home Xbox you will be able to share your games and subscription on all the profiles downloaded on your console."

However, both seem to imply that they don't want people from around the world sharing accounts. I know that in your case it's a spare account but it might help others.

6 hours ago, Housatonic said:

No, having everybody else and their dilo run around with 100% imprint won't take the imprints away from those who achieved them the hard way. It does make full imprint the new standard, and thus relatively useless though. Not wanting others to have a shiny just because you can't (be bothered to) get that same shiny is a bit childish.
The entire point of imprinting is to give that extra reward to those that go that extra mile. It's not supposed to be the standard, it's not supposed to be on every bred animal - we already have the boosts of combining strong stats into one baby that rewards breeding with higher potential than wild tames! Imprinting is a bonus on top of the bonus for breeding to reward those that go beyond just breeding and raising the baby.

What would be wrong with more tribes/players being able to achieve the same buff? As for breeding in general, it makes perfect sense. People breed dogs to promote certain traits. Size/strength being one of them. Just incase it matters, I've been around breeding. You do not have to do what this game expects. Mum feeds and provides primary care for the pups.

If imprinting is as OP as you think it is, surely no one should be able to do it? If it is going to be kept as a feature on official (wildcard decide on the settings) I fail to see why something couldn't/shouldn't be done to help with the process. Maybe something in the tech tier that allows you to put a baby in stasis.

If possible, could you or another individual put forth an argument which explains why it should require constant play, from one account, rather than any other work around that people have presented? It's hard to discuss something when all I'm reading in this thread is "it's because I deserve it more because I said so." there is no skill in 24/7 play and I don't see why constant play should be the barrier on imprinting. More play time should perhaps decrease the amount of time imprinting takes (no need to put them in stasis) and provide more time to gather mats, collect drops etc. I feel that it shouldn't provide constant, with no way to counter it, permanent advantages to dinos. Other then leveling them that is.

Just so everyone is clear. I do have a lot of free time at the minute and could imprint larger tames. I function fine on limited sleep/naps. However I understand that not everyone does. Thus why I'm trying to see it from another perspective. To me, that's what should be done during any debate. It's the ability to share knowledge in order to arrive arrive at a reasonable conclusion. This means that for any healthy and reasonable debate, the parties involved need to be prepared to take in new knowledge/opinions/experience in order to arrive at a reasonable conclusion.

Like I said, it's the whole point of imrpinting. Something completely and utterly optional that gives those that can and want to put in that kind of time/effort something to strive for.
What's wrong with allowing people something to do just because you choose not to do them? Not every part of the game has to be tailored to every individual.
You need to have some things that casuals like, something for the more hardcore crowd to aim for, something for the PvPer to get their game on, and something for the PvEr to chill out with, ...
I honestly, seriously, just do not see what is wrong with someone else having something too? I'm a PvE player, does that mean the titano should be removed? After all, its feeding is bugged, and it serves no purpose to my personal playstyle and preferences. Clearly PvPers don't need it, because I can't get the same amount of use out of it!
No, that's just silly! It's ok for other people to enjoy other things about the game, or in a different way from me. It's ok for them to have and enjoy things that I'll never have or enjoy. Because it's one of the game's greatest strengths that it can cater to so many different playstyles, that it gives you all these options. At the end of the day, the only reason I miss out on some things is because I choose to, because I can choose which parts of the game appeal to me, or suit my agenda, and which do not. That's on me, not on the game, not on anyone else.

1 minute ago, Housatonic said:

Like I said, it's the whole point of imrpinting. Something completely and utterly optional that gives those that can and want to put in that kind of time/effort something to strive for.
What's wrong with allowing people something to do just because you choose not to do them? Not every part of the game has to be tailored to every individual.
You need to have some things that casuals like, something for the more hardcore crowd to aim for, something for the PvPer to get their game on, and something for the PvEr to chill out with, ...
I honestly, seriously, just do not see what is wrong with someone else having something too? I'm a PvE player, does that mean the titano should be removed? After all, its feeding is bugged, and it serves no purpose to my personal playstyle and preferences. Clearly PvPers don't need it, because I can't get the same amount of use out of it!
No, that's just silly! It's ok for other people to enjoy other things about the game, or in a different way from me. It's ok for them to have and enjoy things that I'll never have or enjoy. Because it's one of the game's greatest strengths that it can cater to so many different playstyles, that it gives you all these options. At the end of the day, the only reason I miss out on some things is because I choose to, because I can choose which parts of the game appeal to me, or suit my agenda, and which do not. That's on me, not on the game, not on anyone else.

Please tell me about the other wildly successful games that require players to log in every 3 hours for over a week in order to obtain an edge in PVP or in the PVE boss encounters?

List just one with a mechanic this extreme.

It does seem pretty crazy, but again no one is forcing you to get 100% imprinting. I think they wanted it to be a challenge and not something that every Joe smo has. 

You can gain some significant increases in stats, especially over several generations and now with mutations even more so. Its a game balance decision so that every player that decides to breed a tame doesn't have OP dinos right off the bat. 

41 minutes ago, Rancor said:

It does seem pretty crazy, but again no one is forcing you to get 100% imprinting. I think they wanted it to be a challenge and not something that every Joe smo has. 

You can gain some significant increases in stats, especially over several generations and now with mutations even more so. Its a game balance decision so that every player that decides to breed a tame doesn't have OP dinos right off the bat. 

Have you ever met gamers?

Seriously i know people who paid over a thousand dollars of Real life money to buy less than what the advantage of imprinting represents in other games.

Saying something is optional in a game is pretty pathetic as a defense of that mechanic, the entire GAME is optional. In a game that has PVP it is even more pathetic as an argument.

Still waiting to hear about the other wildly successful games that require you to log in every 3 hours for over as week, or to see a dev do a 100% imprint on a que solo.

• Volunteer Moderator
19 hours ago, Typh0n90 said:

There is nothing stopping anyone from imprinting, not even the current imprinting mechanics. All the current mechanics does is prevent "casuals", as you called them, from getting a 100% imprint.

14 minutes ago, Franhi said:

Seriously i know people who paid over a thousand dollars of Real life money to buy less than what the advantage of imprinting represents in other games.

Saying something is optional in a game is pretty pathetic as a defense of that mechanic, the entire GAME is optional. In a game that has PVP it is even more pathetic as an argument.

Still waiting to hear about the other wildly successful games that require you to log in every 3 hours for over as week, or to see a dev do a 100% imprint on a que solo.

Sounds to me like those people need help if they are suffering from Gamer Addiction. If you have those kind of issues it is most definitely not Wildcard's fault. Like you said the whole game is optional and if you can handle it in a healthy manner maybe you shouldn't be playing it.

By this logic Wildcard should also give us unlimited metal structures and one minute tames because someone might get to into grinding, stay up late, or call in sick to farm which would be the same thing imprint timers cause. 

This is a player issue not a game issue. 

http://www.video-game-addiction.org/

1 minute ago, Rancor said:

Sounds to me like those people need help if they are suffering from Gamer Addiction. If you have those kind of issues it is most definitely not Wildcard's fault. Like you said the whole game is optional and if you can handle it in a healthy manner maybe you shouldn't be playing it.

By this logic Wildcard should also give us unlimited metal structures and one minute tames because someone might get to into grinding, stay up late, or call in sick to farm which would be the same thing imprint timers cause. 

This is a player issue not a game issue. 

The fact remains wildcard is encouraging players to share their steam accounts with this mechanic and that will not end well, further all those things you mention can be done WITHOUT logging in every 3 hours, 100% imprints CANNOT, trying to excuse a broken mechanic that requires you to log in every 3 hours for over a week on the basis that other aspects of grinding can be taken too far is weak. All of those other things CAN be done over a long period of time the longest tame in the game to my knowledge is still under 4 hours start to finish most of them fall well short of the INTERVAL between imprints.

Still waiting to hear about the other wildly successful games that require you to log in every 3 hours for over a week to complete any mechanic, or to see a dev do a 100% imprint on a que solo.

• Volunteer Moderator
16 minutes ago, Franhi said:

Saying something is optional in a game is pretty pathetic as a defense of that mechanic, the entire GAME is optional.

That has less to do with the game design and more to do with the mental state of the person playing. If they reach the point where they spend more money than the game would require for you to play it, then they either have enough disposable income for them to throw at hedonistic pursuits, or are ruining themselves by adding that extra purchasing into their living expenses.

3 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

That has less to do with the game design and more to do with the mental state of the person playing. If they reach the point where they spend more money than the game would require for you to play it, then they either have enough disposable income for them to throw at hedonistic pursuits, or are ruining themselves by adding that extra purchasing into their living expenses.

Still waiting to hear about the other wildly successful games that require you to log in every 3 hours for over a week to complete any mechanic, or to see a dev do a 100% imprint on a que solo.

32 minutes ago, ciabattaroll said:

There is nothing stopping anyone from imprinting, not even the current imprinting mechanics. All the current mechanics does is prevent "casuals", as you called them, from getting a 100% imprint.

I use the terms "casuals" and "no lifers" because it's what others seem to like to. I'd prefer to simply say gamers, or people, but the world loves to judge and give people a name based on what they do with themselves, and often don't do. Choose a topic. Race, religion, monetary income, weight, size, gender, country of birth, education. The majority of any group loves to judge and often impede another. People often place themselves within a labeled group, but more often than not, it's others who view them as that and thus place them within said group with said label.

Using the it can be done argument implies that if it is in any way possible to achieve 100% imprinting, it should be left as is.

I'd be curious, not that I'm arguing for this, but would those who believe that it shouldn't be altered in order to benefit the majority (those with less time to play) also argue against it taking longer. Increase the need to imprint to every 30 minutes and make breeding take roughly 10 times longer. Using the approach that if it can be done, it's fine approach  makes it so that's it's perfectly fine for it to be changed to this as in theory, it's definitely possible. This would make it even more of a "challenge" to achieve and make imprinted tames rarer which seems to be what those who are against a change want. To have to earn, via increased time spent, 100% imprinting. More time = they earned it more.

Edit: This would prevent some of those who are currently able to imprint from being able to do so. However, not being able to do so due to platform/not having enough people to play with/not being able to invest enough time has already been made clear by those against making it less about time consumption as being irrelevant. As such I find that this would be an invalid/hypocritical stance to take. 

Nothing worth doing should be easy, old saying that holds true here.  Not everyone should easily be able to get the 100% as the bonus is quite significant.  Its very doable and yes you will be tired but its not dangerous to your health unless you have other existing issues which are no ones problem but yours.  Too many people on this game saying "this is hard, fix it for me!"  witch I interpret like "I am lazy and bad at this game, change the game so it is easier for me so I dont have to put forth any effort!"

35 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Nothing worth doing should be easy, old saying that holds true here.  Not everyone should easily be able to get the 100% as the bonus is quite significant.  Its very doable and yes you will be tired but its not dangerous to your health unless you have other existing issues which are no ones problem but yours.  Too many people on this game saying "this is hard, fix it for me!"  witch I interpret like "I am lazy and bad at this game, change the game so it is easier for me so I dont have to put forth any effort!"

The imprinting mechanic is dumb as is, in nature a creature imprints on the first thing it sees, in the game it requires anywhere from 4 to 70 imrpints to complete, depending on dino. I used Dodo to Giganotosaurus. 70 Imprints is a metric buttload of imprints. That is 245 hours. thats nearly 10 days of getting 2 hours of sleep, not being able to work, and a whole host of other things. That is way too much to ask of one person. An allosaurus is 12 imprints thats 42 hours. Raptor? 35 hours. I can see someone devoting 12-14 hours to imrprint a dino, thats reasonable to ask, and mind you that should be a standard unit across all dinos, 12-14 hours to imprint.

The breeding can still take all forever, but the imprinting needs to drop down to be reasonable but still challenging. I think asking for something withing reason isnt too unreasonable.

Too many people in this thread just playing devils advocate, plenty of people have been doing the breeding and imprinting since the inception of these mechanics without any real complaints.  Is it a serious challenge?  Yes it is, so is playing mlg for any of the FPS games out there, guess what not everyone can do it and that is not the fault of the game devs. People are not honest with themselves, admit if your are unwilling or unable to do things and dont blame others because you cant do something.

8 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Too many people in this thread just playing devils advocate, plenty of people have been doing the breeding and imprinting since the inception of these mechanics without any real complaints.  Is it a serious challenge?  Yes it is, so is playing mlg for any of the FPS games out there, guess what not everyone can do it and that is not the fault of the game devs. People are not honest with themselves, admit if your are unwilling or unable to do things and dont blame others because you cant do something.

so if someone has a family, or a job you support barring them from the upper echelons of the game not because they aren't willing to put in the time, not because they have bad reflexes or are just bad at game but solely because they cannot tell the real world to go away for 10 days at a time.

Archived