Mid to Late Game Question

Adelaar0355

So First off, we are on a PVP server on the PS4 that is managed well by the top 3 tribes. We have a tribe of about 12 of us, not the alpha on the server but decent standings and dinos. I am trying to stay ahead of anyone starting to tire out of the base building aspect and pack building we are currently going through. (Our group usually turns over a game after a month or so and wanting to make this our base game for a lot longer) 

So a few questions to all you veteran Survivors out there:

1. What does one do after you have a metal/stone base with Plant X and auto turrets with a decent pack of Trex, Allos, Brontos, etc. and levels 70 and above?
  2. Spelunking Caves?
  3. Have yet to tame a Quetz but working on the kibble, any tips? 
  4. What would you recommend we have in our possession before taking on any of the 3 bosses?
  5. What keeps YOU interested and still coming back once you are in the end game?

1. Taming a quetz is a must. Get a platform saddle for it and build an anky ramp, your metal harvesting will go through the roof. 

2. If you arent interested in PVPing on your home server, then conduct cross server raids to get better blueprints, kibble, loot etc. Its important to get as much PVP experience as you can now so that when war comes you will know what to do and what not to do.

3. Not interested in PVP some reason? Then make alliances with established tribes on other maps (center, scorched earth) and build up outposts on those maps. Now you have more areas to explore. 

ARK on PS4 is still relatively new. Most servers start off peaceful because nobody wants to risk getting wiped. But as the game progresses people will get bored and will start attacking or trolling. If you arent using a quetz to harvest metal than I can guarantee your base isnt as strong as you think. My advice would be to use this peaceful time to continue to build up your defenses.  

38 minutes ago, Adelaar0355 said:

So First off, we are on a PVP server on the PS4 that is managed well by the top 3 tribes. We have a tribe of about 12 of us, not the alpha on the server but decent standings and dinos. I am trying to stay ahead of anyone starting to tire out of the base building aspect and pack building we are currently going through. (Our group usually turns over a game after a month or so and wanting to make this our base game for a lot longer) 

1. What does one do after you have a metal/stone base with Plant X and auto turrets with a decent pack of Trex, Allos, Brontos, etc. and levels 70 and above?
  2. Spelunking Caves?
  4. What would you recommend we have in our possession before taking on any of the 3 bosses?
  5. What keeps YOU interested and still coming back once you are in the end game?

Great questions, and a lot of it has to do with your home server. 

(1) Get your end-game / raid tames (giga / rex, quetzal, turtles, brontos, pteras, wyverns, golems, paracers, etc ...), and then start taming for breeding (max taming for desired stat values). As far as infrastructure, believe me, you don't have enough to withstand a dedicated raid. Use structures to direct and impede land traffic, create no-fly zones, get rid of as much stone as is reasonable, glue up weak spots, and build more turrets and bullets. A lot more. 

(2) High-value caves, deep-sea / desert loot crates, fishing with quality rods. 

(3) Tame a Quetzal. It's the most important dino in the game by far. Grind your way up to level 85 as quickly as possible so you can build the platform saddle and your resource gathering rates will go up by at least 10x. Also, make sure you have crafting facilities set up for high-volume production: manufacturing room, kitchen, egg barns, etc ... 

(4) I have no idea. Until Tek Tier, there is no reason to fight bosses. 

(5) Raids! Big, super huge, cross ark raids. And the time invested into the game naturally puts its hooks in you.

Also, you probably need to get raided, or trolled, and lose a bunch of stuff. This helps show you your weakness and elements of the game you're not understanding yet. 

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, TimeSpiral said:

Great questions, and a lot of it has to do with your home server. 

(1) Get your end-game / raid tames (giga / rex, quetzal, turtles, brontos, pteras, wyverns, golems, paracers, etc ...), and then start taming for breeding (max taming for desired stat values). As far as infrastructure, believe me, you don't have enough to withstand a dedicated raid. Use structures to direct and impede land traffic, create no-fly zones, get rid of as much stone as is reasonable, glue up weak spots, and build more turrets and bullets. A lot more. 

(2) High-value caves, deep-sea / desert loot crates, fishing with quality rods. 

(3) Tame a Quetzal. It's the most important dino in the game by far. Grind your way up to level 85 as quickly as possible so you can build the platform saddle and your resource gathering rates will go up by at least 10x. Also, make sure you have crafting facilities set up for high-volume production: manufacturing room, kitchen, egg barns, etc ... 

(4) I have no idea. Until Tek Tier, there is no reason to fight bosses. 

(5) Raids! Big, super huge, cross ark raids. And the time invested into the game naturally puts its hooks in you.

Also, you probably need to get raided, or trolled, and lose a bunch of stuff. This helps show you your weakness and elements of the game you're not understanding yet. 

Hope this helps!

There is a lot of advice here and all of it is good and sound.

I can speak from personal experience on the getting wiped.  Also go on YouTube for about an hour or two and just watch raids, look at base builds, look at base locations, and look at base defenses.  You will spend a lot of time and see a lot of silly stuff, but some of it is useful, whether it be what to do or what NOT to do.  As a side note, if you're watching someone who is just spawning stuff in, it's interesting, but mostly academic because unless you've put a lot of time into grinding materials and actually building stuff and knowing that every piece of your build/base has a finite cost and amount of time to achieve that cost, it won't be helpful or realistic.

Also get some water tames.  The ocean is a vast and wonderful place... But seriously it's like starting a whole new game once you start going down there.

49 minutes ago, PlatinumCore16 said:

There is a lot of advice here and all of it is good and sound.

I can speak from personal experience on the getting wiped.  Also go on YouTube for about an hour or two and just watch raids, look at base builds, look at base locations, and look at base defenses.  You will spend a lot of time and see a lot of silly stuff, but some of it is useful, whether it be what to do or what NOT to do.  As a side note, if you're watching someone who is just spawning stuff in, it's interesting, but mostly academic because unless you've put a lot of time into grinding materials and actually building stuff and knowing that every piece of your build/base has a finite cost and amount of time to achieve that cost, it won't be helpful or realistic.

Also get some water tames.  The ocean is a vast and wonderful place... But seriously it's like starting a whole new game once you start going down there.

For the water tames, any advice on a pen or something of the like for it? We have a few cross creatures like the toads and crocs but nothing more than those. Would love to start that exploration and get into the other half of the world of arc :). 

45 minutes ago, Adelaar0355 said:

For the water tames, any advice on a pen or something of the like for it? We have a few cross creatures like the toads and crocs but nothing more than those. Would love to start that exploration and get into the other half of the world of arc :). 

Start with a dolphin. It's essentially the first water tame; basically the pteranodon of the sea. If you didn't build your base near water, you will need a water pen to house the dolphin. This could be difficult, logistically. Coordinate with an ally, or prefab a building with turrets and plants before you tame the dolphin. Sometimes you can find like caves and waterways that are easily defensible (but watch out, because sometimes building in caves is a no-no).   

I would say yes.  Scorched is a little different due to the nature of the environment.  If you're not running at least 30 fort, you're crazy.  For PvP you might want to consider lots of health/stamina/movement speed.  Possibly melee damage if you're going to be using any melee weapons.  You're also going to want some weight because gear during a raid does tend to add up a bit, so you probably don't want to be running base weight.  Especially because if your raid is successful, you have to at least get the loot to your dinos.

As far as other roles, builders are going to want a lot of weight and crafting speed and possibly some stamina and movement speed.  If you're going to be playing in the water at all, you really want to pump a bunch of oxygen.  It increases your speed in the water and allows you to stay underwater longer.  Yes there is the Laz chowder and the scuba gear which will help you stay under for very long periods, but the speed increase from oxygen is invaluable, especially before you can build the fabricator and swim fins.  You would also want stamina and fortitude because it gets cold under there and if you want to stay under for a long time, you're going to need the stamina.

As far as taming, you can kind of build to however else you play. You'll need some weight, health, stamina, and depending on how you're knocking them out, melee damage.  Once you get to the longneck, this isn't as necessary though.

Personally, I'm running 200 health/stam, 100 food/water, 300 weight, 140 melee, 120 movement, 40 fort, and 160 crafting speed.  I do a lot of the crafting/building/harvesting for my tribe and the weight comes in super handy.  The crafting speed is something I pumped a little later just to get through the crafting queues faster (bullets and electronics omg...).  Likje I said, I play on Scorched, so the fortitude is super necessary, and the stamina and health just make it easier to survive when I'm thirsty or hungry, or when I get dismounted from whatever I'm on and have to tank a few hits.  The movement speed is just something I found I like to have because before you get a bunch of tames, you'll end up running from a lot of dinos and 120 movement gets you away from most anything except the largest predators.  And a terror bird.  You have to 122% to just barely outrun them.

Wow that got long fast...

On 1/4/2017 at 10:29 AM, Adelaar0355 said:

2. Spelunking Caves?

1. Improve the base, there is a never ending swing in the ways base designs go and how PvP players end up cracking them. You can never have enough turrets and you can never have enough bullets.

2. Yea you can do caves, the ones i would recommend are Swamp cave with sabers/deer/frogs and then underwater caves (the new ones) with mosa's

3. Don't let it drop into the river, aim for the head, use tranq darts if possible, arrows will work, but if its a low level one it gets bloody fast. After you get your first quetz, immediately what you should do is look up how to build a quetz catcher platform (they are built on top of existing quetz platforms) and that will make taming quetz's infinity easier in the future and less stressful

4. Extremely good rex's, paracers with mini guns, packs and packs of allo's, rocket launchers....etc... up to you how you want to do it.

5. We are to the point where breeding is the biggest thing, improving our dino DNA is always at the forefront of our minds, improving our gear, there is always something more you can do to get better.

Archived