2017, the year of the nerfs.

Irk

One aspect of the game Stieglitz says he’d like to rework is how strong tamed Dinos have gotten.

Worried that no one would want to go to the hassle of taming an epic beast, the Studio Wildcard team made it worthwhile through major buffs for tamed dinos.

“There still too damn strong, We’re going to have to slowly wean players off these dinosaurs as we hit more of a final game balance.

“We will take that one step at a time, every time we add a new cool feature, we will weaken tamed dinosaurs a little bit more.”

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/749976/ARK-Survival-Evolved-PS4-PC-Jeremy-Stieglitz-Dino-nerf-Xbox-One-Scorpio

So, does anyone think he's talking about the recent giga nerfs or possibly more nerfs incoming for more dinos?

I think hes talking about more nerfs incoming for more dinos. Lets face it, once you have a kibble tamed 150 rex or giga you pretty much have nothing to fear except other players, alpha rexes and wild gigas. The PVE aspect of the game is pretty much moot by this time as there is little to nothing on the map that can touch you. 

13 minutes ago, Irk said:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/749976/ARK-Survival-Evolved-PS4-PC-Jeremy-Stieglitz-Dino-nerf-Xbox-One-Scorpio

So, does anyone think he's talking about the recent giga nerfs or possibly more nerfs incoming for more dinos?

Gigas especially.....unfortunately for us, we now have to spend months on getting the 15% health back. They nerfed brontos  and I'm assuming before too long that there will be a nerf to my bred battle dodos!

9 minutes ago, Dustrider said:

I think hes talking about more nerfs incoming for more dinos. Lets face it, once you have a kibble tamed 150 rex or giga you pretty much have nothing to fear except other players, alpha rexes and wild gigas. The PVE aspect of the game is pretty much moot by this time as there is little to nothing on the map that can touch you. 

Very true; you can kibble tame any 150 on PvE and be pretty safe out in the wild. Either you can fight back or live long enough to get away. Though, I feel as if a nerf to tamed dino's is a bit unfair. They should've implemented a "wild bonus" to wild dino's and boosted them instead. It'll make more sense and sting a bit less.

6 minutes ago, BigRed1227 said:

Gigas especially.....unfortunately for us, we now have to spend months on getting the 15% health back. They nerfed brontos  and I'm assuming before too long that there will be a nerf to my bred battle dodos!

Those poor dodo's! I forgot about the bronto nerf though. I foresee rex's getting hit soon.

Well there have been pretty significant buffs to the tamed dinos not long ago. 

First imprinting was added making imprinted dinos much much stronger. 

And the level was upped to 150 also making the dinos stronger.  You can argue that this made wild dinos stronger too but not by the same amount. The higher the base level the more bonus levels taming will give you.. 

So it is somehow expected that they need to tone it down a bit. 

8 minutes ago, Irk said:

Very true; you can kibble tame any 150 on PvE and be pretty safe out in the wild. Either you can fight back or live long enough to get away. Though, I feel as if a nerf to tamed dino's is a bit unfair. They should've implemented a "wild bonus" to wild dino's and boosted them instead. It'll make more sense and sting a bit less.

More than just pretty safe. Near invincible, I have a lvl 264 tamed rex (not bred, which would be more OP) and I can take on hordes of wild rexes, allos, spinos etc. without hardly a scratch. I understand that the higher the level the more powerful but I think the difference between the levels is too much. I could destroy a dozen rexes at the same time...doesnt make much sense.

52 minutes ago, Irk said:

Those poor dodo's! I forgot about the bronto nerf though. I foresee rex's getting hit soon.

Rex's will get hit, then spinos......and flyers will probably get hit a lot more....the ptera got nerfed I believe.....soon everything will be equal, and one won't be better than the next...

46 minutes ago, waterKeeper said:

Wildcard should buff the AI first, and then only after that see if nerfs are still necessary to make survival harder. Part of the problem is a wild dino is pretty stupid.

I'm all for this. Right now it's so easy because they're brainless. Troodons are harder to fight because they swarm, and have a better AI (comparatively). Also let's not forget the theri hitting you on top of your mount. It's not a lot and wouldn't stop any perfect tame but it would put some challenge back into the game. It looks like WC is testing out these mechanics and tweaks to possibly bring in when they do a full dino TLC pass as has been mentioned before.

2 hours ago, waterKeeper said:

Wildcard should buff the AI first, and then only after that see if nerfs are still necessary to make survival harder. Part of the problem is a wild dino is pretty stupid.

You are right! The first thing they should "fix" at this point is the stupid "Let the Dino run against the wall" thing.
When you attack a dino, which is passive (wild), its just runs straight away from you. If you know that, its easy to force them into a wall. And when you just have to knock them out. No big deal. Also, they should fix the fact that at (I belive) 75% of torpor, the dino runs away. Even if you are fighting with a dino to get it knocked out, at 75% it starts running again and if you know that again, you force it into a wall and finish your work with no big deal!

We need smater Dinos that actually challange us! See a wall 10m in front of you? Run Right/Left! See a cliff? Turn around! Are you at 90% torpor but the player is 1 hit from death? KILL IT! Not that I want to be killed but I want to have a challange in games. Otherwise they get boring!

Its always very exciting for me to start a new game of ARK. But once I see I am at the point where nothing can beat me (especially on PVE), I get bored. As you just walk around, gather materials and breed or ... go offline. We need more challanges at this point!

Also: A tamed dino should not attack faster/better than a wild or unridden dino. I never get this point where you can swing 5 Attacks while your enemy (same wild, unridden dino) only gets out 1 attack. Thats pretty unrealistic and unfair.

I hope to see these changes in a TLC sometime soon. :)

Greetings

It's hard to interpret what he means based on just those two sentences, but if the goal is to make wild creatures more threatening then I don't think that just making our dinosaurs weak is going to solve anything. First off, even if they brought all tamed dinosaurs down to Dodo level the wild dinosaurs would still pose no threat when you're sitting comfy in your turret-covered metal fortress. If they really want to make every day a terrifying, desperate fight for survival then a better answer would probably be to make alpha creatures spawn more often and let them destroy metal bases. Basically turn them into aggressive, untamable Titanosaurs.

Also, raw strength is not everything. Creatures that can directly kill the rider such as the Kapro, Therizo, and Wyvern already force the player to be a LOT more cautious when entering their territory. And putting threats in the air would likewise make travel a lot more dangerous. Imagine cruising along on your flyer and having a wild Pteranodon swoop in, grab you off your bird, and carry you off to feed to it's babies. There's a lot that they could do without making tamed dinosaurs weak.

12 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

If they really want to make every day a terrifying, desperate fight for survival then a better answer would probably be to make alpha creatures spawn more often and let them destroy metal bases. Basically turn them into aggressive, untamable Titanosaurs.

oh pls no T.T I honestly cannot see the fun in that. The fun is already being severely tested by the troodon and theri being as populous and devastating as they are. 

3 minutes ago, JacyKoi said:

oh pls no T.T I honestly cannot see the fun in that. The fun is already being severely tested by the troodon and theri being as populous and devastating as they are. 

Haha I'm honestly not sure that I'd like it if they did that either. Just throwing out a suggestion on how the wild could be scarier for maxed players who are complaining that they're bored.

13 minutes ago, Leviticus said:

Its clearly a nerf not a balance,  please explain how you think this is a balance?

11 hours ago, Danouk said:

What you call nerf I call balancing.

It's clearly balance not a nerf, please explain how you think this is a nerf?  Lol  :)

(waiting on answers from you both with popcorn...)

3 hours ago, Leviticus said:

Its clearly a nerf not a balance,  please explain how you think this is a balance?

Very easy. They need to make it so your Dino does not come so powerful it can one shot everything. Anything a dino does effects other things so that is taken in consideration. It's not an easy thing as they will have to tweek it until full release. 

3 hours ago, Mendoza said:

It's clearly balance not a nerf, please explain how you think this is a nerf?  Lol  :)

(waiting on answers from you both with popcorn...)

You take butter on your popcorn?

48 minutes ago, Week said:

The giga has been nerfed way to much. 

I don't support nerfing all tamed dinos across the board, but Giga is one dino that needs to get nerfed into the ground. As much as it has been nerfed already it still needs to be nerfed more. The thing about balancing a game is that you need to compare it to everything else currently in the game, not compare it to it's former self.

Archived