What is that noise?!?!

JacyKoi

So, the noise started a few months ago I assume after a patch or update. It's a dinosaur-like groan/growl that sounds like it's either coming from you or from a mount you're riding. It happens maybe every half hour, randomly. If I could find a sample I'd play it. My question is, what on earth is it?! It has no bearing on:

Hunger, Heat, Mounted or not, Thirst, Whatever dino you're by (it's not a dino sound), Status effect, altitude, time of day, or anything else I can measure. 

This is trivial but is driving me bonkers. Even when I'm near the world border in the air it still sounds and again, sounds very close as if coming from yourself. So it can't be ambiance. Anyone know what I'm talking about or can give an answer?

8 minutes ago, Sn1per0 said:

I think its the Chalicorthium (sp?) that is making that sound. I hear it to when I am flying. I am guessing the sound animation is bugged because you are right it does sound like it is coming from the player/mount.

I just tested it, I think you're on the dot there. When I killed a chali it made the exact same sound. So it's the chali death sound? Playing at random. It must be bugged.

2 hours ago, Sn1per0 said:

I think its the Chalicorthium (sp?) that is making that sound. I hear it to when I am flying. I am guessing the sound animation is bugged because you are right it does sound like it is coming from the player/mount.

This ... I hear it when I'm flying in the snow.  I thought it was either me or my bird freezing lol.

6 hours ago, psychosaurus409 said:

Its the sound of a Chilcotherium dying so watch out it means something strong enough to kill a Chilco is in the area, even if the Chilco died a mile away it still is just as loud

You mean that level 20 dilo that attacked a 120 slot? And the sloth wandered around ignoring the dilo until it died. I get near them and they start throwing poo at me and chasing me. The dino bites it int he butt and it just ignores that. Makes sense.

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, January 03, 2017 at 5:14 PM, JacyKoi said:

So, the noise started a few months ago I assume after a patch or update. It's a dinosaur-like groan/growl that sounds like it's either coming from you or from a mount you're riding. It happens maybe every half hour, randomly. If I could find a sample I'd play it. My question is, what on earth is it?! It has no bearing on:

Hunger, Heat, Mounted or not, Thirst, Whatever dino you're by (it's not a dino sound), Status effect, altitude, time of day, or anything else I can measure. 

This is trivial but is driving me bonkers. Even when I'm near the world border in the air it still sounds and again, sounds very close as if coming from yourself. So it can't be ambiance. Anyone know what I'm talking about or can give an answer?

It's been driving me batpoop crazy.

3 minutes ago, wildbill said:

There was a bug with the ballista turret that made a sound when it rendered. Most people describe it as a kind of whoosh sound.

i guess that could be it =/ never really noticed if there was a turret when that happened ill have to check it out when it happens again. thanks =)

• Volunteer Moderator

wildbill is correct, the whoosh is from a ballista. we fly over/close to them regularly and it always happens. sometimes we get the sound before the ballista has rendered, which made it interesting figuring out exactly what was going on the first time or two. really thought someone was shooting it at us until we found the turret and there was no one in/around it. 

• Volunteer Moderator
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:51 PM, ThzNutz said:

wildbill is correct, the whoosh is from a ballista. we fly over/close to them regularly and it always happens. sometimes we get the sound before the ballista has rendered, which made it interesting figuring out exactly what was going on the first time or two. really thought someone was shooting it at us until we found the turret and there was no one in/around it. 

really I hear I the swoosh all the time in the swap headed up river near green oblisk  on hills no bases anywhere around. I always thought it was someone behind me too.. lol its always in the same spots too..wierd ...

Archived