Winter/Cold Survival Help

BuckMcSkeet

Hey there brothers, fellow ARK survivor, Buck, here. Wondering if any of you guys had any tips or advice to survive in the Northern parts of the Island. I love the atmosphere up there and its natural white beauty. However, many malicious creatures lurk around this paradise and prefer to make my ARK life miserable. And on top of that, its so darn cold that my nut sack freezes. I seek tips, tricks, and any kind of advice, to help counter these problems. 

Great thanks and enormous sincerity,

BuckMcSkeet

Most people I know of find flat areas or build on the shore, but one constant is you need a metal base or at least stone. Be best to make a starter base somewhere to farm mats for it. And you need to carry around torches or make around apprentice+ quality fur, raptor clause dropped a lot, bound to be one person who would let you make it if you don't.

it has been a while since i have tamed a Rex but its best to lure it up to a cliff where it cant bite you with a ptera then use a crossbow + tranq arrows to knock it out.

Apart from that all you need for a low level is some pulmonoscorpius kibble, a stack or 2 of narcotics and around an hour so you can tame it and walk it back to base.

11 minutes ago, JaHakk said:

Increase your fortitude also

I was gonna add that one. I have a feeling that like SE having 30 fort would work great up there. Ask around on your server if anyone has bps for the fur armour. Takes a bit to get the fur for some of the higher quality, the MS legs I have take over 1200 pelts. Same with the asc fur boots...

If you have access to a chainsaw... use that on the mammoths and things. You will have more pelts than you know what to do with in no time.

1 hour ago, BuckMcSkeet said:

@BobbleHead30 I am working on fur armor, and will look into taming a T-Rex. I play with a couple friends, but their skills are lacking. Any advice on taming a rex? I might end up conquering that beast solo.

Thanks for the advice,

BuckMcSkeet

Many tips to help, even with the rex:

-Fortitude is your friend. It takes a lot of points, but once you have your other stats where you want them, dump the rest into fort! (I do 150-200 health, 400 weight, 300 oxygen, and the rest fort)

-Always carry a torch. Great for lighting up an area, but does a lot to help with cold. Always have some flint handy to repair it

-keep a lot of campfires in your base. They provide great heat and plenty of cooking spots, you'll need it!

-Cooked meat provides a minor health gain. Cold drops your food quicker, and sometimes health (when freezing) but cooked meat will regen a little of that health

-Fur armor, as people above have said. Hide works really well when you have lots of fort, but fur has more armor as well

-Dire wolves provide heat for you when mounted. They're some of the strongest mounts in the game, and don't require saddles, but they're tough to tame

now for the rex, it's one of the "easier" tames for a large carnivore, as they turn slow, are easily distracted, and have pretty slow torpor loss. What I like to do (if you don't have a nearby cliff or really high rock handy) is to have a ptero handy. Land nearby, and blast it with a tranq arrow, then remount and fly over and a ways past it. It takes time to turn, and then catch up to you (bonus if it has to pass over a river or rocks, rexes are terrible with rocky terrain). Don't rush, their torpor drops slowly, so you can be careful and take your time. 

Just be careful that you don't do this near mammoths, sabers or wolves. The sabers and wolves will aggro you relentlessly, and the rexes love to attack mammoths who can easilly kill it. But once you DO have a rex, your life will be much, much easier, as (most) animals smaller then it will ignore you while you're riding it until you attack them

Hey there brothers, Buck here. Sorry to be posting this so late, but I want to thank each and everyone of of the individuals who politely replied to me on this post. I was not able to reply to everyone the day I posted this because you are limited to four posts per day (which is absolute blasphemy). Once I was able to reply again, I was occupied with my ARK adventures. 

At this point in time, I would like to thank @BobbleHead30, @Superficial, @ilShadow, @JaHakk, @Jamagh, and @Airthrow.

I have read all of your replies, and have integrated your advice into my ARK experience. I currently live in a house located in the western midlands of the Island. I have picked a nice spot just north of the blue obelisk, and have been carrying supplies via Hanz, a high performance pteranodon, to and from my northern and western estates.

I am a proud owner of three penguins, Sebastian, Susanne, and Siegfried. They keep me very warm along with a full set of fur armor. 

I tamed one Carno, Heidi, who's existence is a pure blessing to me. She is a phenomenal hunter, protector, and best of all, a great friend. 

Finally, fire has become my greatest ally. Coinciding with upgraded fortitude, fire keeps me pleasantly warm in the harsh and relentless atmosphere of the northern region.

Utilizing fire, fur and friendly creatures, the F Trifecta, I have equipped myself with the necessary tools to live a successful life in the north. 

"Operation Freezo" has begun, and is currently an active project on my agenda. I will soon establish a shelter, and make my move into the frozen tundra.

Once again, thank you to all who helped me with this journey, I hope everyone here, including my self, finds themselves embarking on wondrous journeys in the world of ARK.

Wishing you pleasant endeavors, 

BuckMcSkeet

Jurg on.

Here are a few times,

You shouldnt be moving into the snow if youre a low level..you're going to need some higher lvl engrams to sufficiently live there.

Fireplace, AC units are your friend. Always pass out by the ac units.  Always have a torch out during the ice cube nights. 

Pump fortitude

Tame mated boosted sabers and hunt mammoths and rhinos for pelt. 

Do not build on cliff side, good chance a wild giga will one day wander into your base and ruin your life.

Experience: lived on the cliff next to the snow cave for over a year :)

@At0mic109

Appreciate the advice friend.

I have been waiting until I believed I was a sufficient level to take the plunge. At the moment, I am level 67, and totally agree that higher level engrams are necessary to survive such a monstrous environment. I have plenty of engram points, and start unlocking electricity related engrams, so I can eventually use air conditioners. My estate does not reside on a cliff, so I feel fairly safe.

God bless,

BuckMcSkeet

@DeweyDecimal

That's great to know! I live in an area where bears roam freely, and often find myself wanting to tame one. I heard they are very useful mounts, and now intend to befriend the furry fellas.

Thanks for the input,

BuckMcSkeet

P.S.

Thanks to your ingenious system, I am able to locate my library books with ease!

Fur armor is basically a necessity. Even 1 piece will drastically reduce the odds of freezing. Increase fortitude a bit too.

Packs of wolves and rex are all over the north too. Stone walls and spikes in front are a minimum defense.

Fires stack as do torches. If you can't get warm inside start 3 fires and pull a torch out, eat some cooked meat while warm enough to get most your health back before venturing out for more wood or something.

Archived