P4 Dedicated Server Guide - Tutorial - Info

*** 7/1/17 Post rewritten to clear the clutter. Updated with more accurate info, also added information given by user QPDO ***
*** 11/1/17 Post updated with some more info/workarounds that have worked for our group ***
*** 24/1/17 Post updated with admin info and some extra info regarding maps. General cleanup. ***

Hello Survivors!

This guide/tutorial will provide all the information I currently have on setting up a dedicated server for Playstation 4. It's a long read but it will provide you with all the necessary information you need to run a server. It'll also answer a lot of questions you might have on the topic, If however something remains unanswered let me know so I can include it in the post.

My situation

• 2 PS4 pro's for myself and my girlfriend to game on.
  • 1 normal PS4 to run as a server
  • Server running from Belgium on a 200mbps download / 20mpbs upload fibre optic connection.
  • I have a router/modem combo with an extra switch connected just so I have got more network ports. The server ps4 is connected straight into the router ( just to be sure).
  • All playstations are on Nat Type 2.

Because I'm already game sharing with my girlfriend (games and ps plus) I was forced to buy a second copy of the game and get a second ps plus subscription for the server account as this is needed to host a server.

If you're not game sharing with anyone yet you can share the game and your ps plus subscription with your server ps4 account. User QPDO has given some more info about this. Please refer to his post below.

Situation Update

Recently I have swapped my router/modem combo for a modem only. So now my playstation server is connected straight to my modem. The rest of my network is connected to my own router.
As a result I now have Nat Type 1 on the server. However, this does not make any difference. I do get a slight increase on bandwidth when I do the network test on the ps4 (specially upload).
But it does not help for the server to be found more easily in the server browser within ARK.

In case people want to set up a similar situation, this is the layout of my network, starting from the modem:
Modem - Switch1 - Router - Switch2

Connections:
Switch1: PS4 server, digicorder for TV and my Router.
Router: Switch2 and my TV. Also any Wi-Fi appliances.
Switch2: PC, ps4 pro's

I used switch2 so I only needed 1 long cable to reach the pc and the ps4 pro's, if that makes sense.

Bandwidth

While running the server I'm still able to use my internet for everyday use. However, when I accidently launched my torrent client with 3 active torrents (capped at 1mb/sec), I instantly got a message on my gaming psn "lost connection to host". The torrents didn't even start yet, they was labeled "stalled". I must add that my router/modem combo provided from my ISP didn't include QoS or any other advanced features.
For some reason, after that I was unable to even find the server. Only when I restarted both server and gaming ps4 and relaunched the server I was able to connect again.

Update:
With the ps4 server now being connected straight to the modem, and using my own router,  this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I'm able to download 1-2 torrents capped at 2mb/sec without the clients on the server having any problems.
if your router allows it you can easily manage these type of things with QoS. But I'd make sure the server gets the sole biggest priority.

So in other words, I don't have problems with other internet use while running the server.

Bandwidth usage

I have been running the server 24/7 for about 3 weeks now and a rough estimate would be that I have used about 100-150gb on the server. This is with an rough average of 5-15 people connected.

Network settings with Nat Type 2

• Server ps4 has got a static IP on a wired connection. I'm using the DNS servers from my internet provider. Using Google DNS servers didn't seem to work very well for some reason.
  • Server ps4 is listed as DMZ on my router.
  • Server ps4 has got the following ports forwarded:
    UDP 7777
    UDP 7778
    TCP 80
    TCP 443
    TCP 1935
    TCP/UDP 3478
    TCP/UDP 27015
    TCP/UDP 27016
    TCP 3480
    UDP 3479
  • Gaming ps4 has not received any changes and is just connected to the network using the "easy" method (wired connection)

Network settings with Nat Type 1

I just let the server receive an IP from the modem. Port forwarding or DMZ is not necessary, and not even possible, because you have nat type 1.

Starting the server

• Join a non-password Dedicated server 
  • Create a character, wait to load and exit to main menu.
  • Start the server with your desired settings.
  • Pray to all the 7 gods.

Finding/joining the server on your client

To find the server I selected "player dedicated ark's", ticked on "show password protected" and I made sure the session list was only showing ARK servers set on PVP.
Normally I'm able to find the server straight away. I just select join, enter the password and then it launches me into the game.

If you can't find the server in the list your best chance is to restart your game and refresh your server list until it pops up. You'll notice when you restart your game you'll either get the exact same server list, or you'll get a different one. Keep trying until you find it. Don't bother bookmarking it if you do find it, it doesn't work.

Best way to connect to a dedicated server (most likely you won't find the server you are looking for in the ark server browser)

Let me start with saying that the Ark server browser is buggy at best. It's slow, you can't cancel and for some reason when you restart the game you'll get a totally different list of dedicated servers thrown at you. I have given up on using the Ark server browser and with the below method you don't even need it.

This works best if you run a private server with a small to medium player base. Here's how I handle my invitations:

• Every player adds the server psn to their friends list
  • I created a message group on psn with all the players added (not necessary but useful for communication)
  • When I start/restart the server I send every player a game invite

Taking these steps will allow players to join the server whenever they want by using this method:

• Start the game and press start so you're at the main menu
  • Keep hold of the PS button so the quick menu appears
  • Go to Ark: Survival Evolved
  • Go to Other Sessions
  • You will now see the game session of the server's psn
  • Select it to view details
  • Select join
  • You'll go back to the game and wait. It might take a few seconds to start loading but you'll join the server. You won't need to enter a password

Keep in mind that when the host restarts the server he or she will need to send out a game invite to all the players for this to work. As soon as you have played on the server once or received an invite since server restart it will work.

Admin commands

The admin commands do not work as the host psn. You will need to add a player to the "administrator players" to use the admin commands. In my case I've just added my player account so I do all the admin stuff from there.
To do this, go to the player you want to add in the connected players list, press X to select the player and press X on "add admin". The player will now show up in the administrator players list on the right.
The player will need to restart his game for it to work.

Once admin, just press options and you'll see a bar at the top of your screen with an "admin command" button.
From there you can enter your admin commands, for example "admincheat destroywilddinos" (without quotes)

Server maps

The dedicated server creates a save file for each of the maps.
So when you start a server on "the island" you'll have a save for that map.
If you restart the server and select the center or scorched earth, it'll create a save for these.
If later you want to return to the island, it will load up your save from before.

Player capacity

So far my standard ps4 is doing a great job handling up to 18 players. That said, I don't think much more would guarantee a lag free gaming experience, not with my bandwidth connection anyway.
My guess is that the maximum player capacity will lay around 20-25 for the standard ps4.

Hopefully this guide helps! Good luck survivor!

So far the server is running as planned. I'll be doing some more testing but I'm hoping to leave it running 24/7 by saturday 7/1/17.

If you're interested in playing on the server and would like some more details, visit https://goo.gl/vE1RrY

Hopefully the guide above has helped you people set a server up! I'll be happy to help with any questions or problems.

Hey Jurikagaming,

I just picked up an extra ps4 last night and am going to host for just a few of my friends.  I've read mixed answers about the additional copy, and the additional PS+ account.  Now that you've had a couple days of play on your server, did you discover it to be necessary on the host machine?

Thanks!

miked

14 hours ago, sinimiked said:

Hey Jurikagaming,

I just picked up an extra ps4 last night and am going to host for just a few of my friends.  I've read mixed answers about the additional copy, and the additional PS+ account.  Now that you've had a couple days of play on your server, did you discover it to be necessary on the host machine?

Thanks!

miked

I can confirm that you need the additional copy as long you arent running it on a primary ps4 of someone who owns ARK. Account Sharing rules apply here.
Concerning PS+: You need PS+ to host a dedicated ARK (server) from a seperate account. I tried to host without PS+ on our Hausgast account and it prompted me straight to the "Buy PS+" screen. It does NOT work to start on the dedicated ark with a PS+ and then log into PSN with your actual gaming account/console. The server will enter suspended mode as soon the account is closed.

@Jurika: Please mention that the necessity to join a non-dedi game is actually a WORKAROUND for the invite and join issue. Having the hosting account and your client accounts in one party also keep up the invites and people can try to join over and over again until it works.

The most successful joining procure this far was:

Host start pre-host sequence with the non-dedi join-exit workaround. (Seems to register the PSN ID at the Wildcard Matchmaker)

Starts the server and sends party invites to all clients.

Clients join the party.

Host sends server invites when everybody is in the party. (Seems to register the server at WC and PSN, also allows joining a paswordserver without password)

Clients ignore the invite and start the game.

Clients wait in the A-Start screen, hold down PS button and select "ARK" in the Quick Menu.

Clients search the running session of the host account and click join.

clients Will now notice "Loading..." in the lower right of the A-Screen. Don't press start. Just wait.

After 30 to 60 seconds Clients either switch into the main menu without doing anything and the server loads automatically, or they close the game and try again.

You mean joining a non password dedicated first? I don't know, not tried. Since I got the server running and people are able to connect I've not taken it down yet. But so far for me the invites from the host don't seem to work. I always get "join failed" when I try.

For me the best way seems to look in the server browser to find the server. If the server is not listed I restart the game and refresh the list. Normally it comes up after a few tries.

I can confirm that a dedicated server with password protection does not appear as a joinable game session via PSN Party or Quick Menu until the ID looking for it has recieved an invite. From this point the invited client no longer needs a password but joins directly into the server.

Concerning PVE / PVP: If the host has ticked PVE Mode on the Server it appears on the PVE Dedicated Server list. If not its on PVP. Still needs ages to appear though.

I am currently doing some research concerning Allosaurus Attacks. We currently have a pack of 12 lounging outside our premises. I was checking if the Host could deactivate Allosaurus spawn on the dedicated server with a console command. But I havent found one yet. Only a .ini change on PC server.

Speaking of console/admin commands:

The admin controls on ps4 dedicated server are a bit buggy I think.

Sending a message to global chat
To send a message you need to first select the message, then select the server psn (the one with no character and ID "0") and then click send.
However, a lot of times I'll be typing the message and I'll be stuck in the message box where you type in. It'll have the yellow selection rectangle around it but you can't move the cursor. I then need to press the PS button to go to the home screen of the ps4, go back to the game and the cursor will be free again.
I've also tried selecting the server id first and then typing the message but then while typing the message the server id get's unselected and you end up stuck on the message box.

Broadcast message
Is working just fine. Type in the message, hit R2 and the message comes up straight away.

Not tested yet (I'll update at later time)

• Add admin
  • Whitelist, kick ban
  • Any cheat commands (Can't really test this tho as I won't be using cheat commands on a live dedicated server I'm running)

Might update the initial tutorial post with the information about admin controls because I can't seem to find a whole lot of accurate information, apart from how to use the cheats.

One thing I'm definitely missing on the private server is the ability to have all boxes and structures lock by default without PIN code.

We didn't realize this, and opened up the server to add to the fun.  Immediately caught thieves in our smithy stealing armor!  :(  Boo on them!

I can't seem to find an admin command to overcome this on PS4.

On 3-1-2017 at 0:34 PM, jurikagaming said:

*** 7/1/17 Post rewritten to clear the clutter. Updated with more accurate info, also added information given by user QPDO ***
*** 11/1/17 Post updated with some more info/workarounds that have worked for our group ***
*** 24/1/17 Post updated with admin info and some extra info regarding maps. General cleanup. ***

Hello Survivors!

This guide/tutorial will provide all the information I currently have on setting up a dedicated server for Playstation 4. It's a long read but it will provide you with all the necessary information you need to run a server. It'll also answer a lot of questions you might have on the topic, If however something remains unanswered let me know so I can include it in the post.

My situation

• 2 PS4 pro's for myself and my girlfriend to game on.
  • 1 normal PS4 to run as a server
  • Server running from Belgium on a 200mbps download / 20mpbs upload fibre optic connection.
  • I have a router/modem combo with an extra switch connected just so I have got more network ports. The server ps4 is connected straight into the router ( just to be sure).
  • All playstations are on Nat Type 2.

Because I'm already game sharing with my girlfriend (games and ps plus) I was forced to buy a second copy of the game and get a second ps plus subscription for the server account as this is needed to host a server.

If you're not game sharing with anyone yet you can share the game and your ps plus subscription with your server ps4 account. User QPDO has given some more info about this. Please refer to his post below.

Situation Update

Recently I have swapped my router/modem combo for a modem only. So now my playstation server is connected straight to my modem. The rest of my network is connected to my own router.
As a result I now have Nat Type 1 on the server. However, this does not make any difference. I do get a slight increase on bandwidth when I do the network test on the ps4 (specially upload).
But it does not help for the server to be found more easily in the server browser within ARK.

In case people want to set up a similar situation, this is the layout of my network, starting from the modem:
Modem - Switch1 - Router - Switch2

Connections:
Switch1: PS4 server, digicorder for TV and my Router.
Router: Switch2 and my TV. Also any Wi-Fi appliances.
Switch2: PC, ps4 pro's

I used switch2 so I only needed 1 long cable to reach the pc and the ps4 pro's, if that makes sense.

Bandwidth

While running the server I'm still able to use my internet for everyday use. However, when I accidently launched my torrent client with 3 active torrents (capped at 1mb/sec), I instantly got a message on my gaming psn "lost connection to host". The torrents didn't even start yet, they was labeled "stalled". I must add that my router/modem combo provided from my ISP didn't include QoS or any other advanced features.
For some reason, after that I was unable to even find the server. Only when I restarted both server and gaming ps4 and relaunched the server I was able to connect again.

Update:
With the ps4 server now being connected straight to the modem, and using my own router,  this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. I'm able to download 1-2 torrents capped at 2mb/sec without the clients on the server having any problems.
if your router allows it you can easily manage these type of things with QoS. But I'd make sure the server gets the sole biggest priority.

So in other words, I don't have problems with other internet use while running the server.

Bandwidth usage

I have been running the server 24/7 for about 3 weeks now and a rough estimate would be that I have used about 100-150gb on the server. This is with an rough average of 5-15 people connected.

Network settings with Nat Type 2

• Server ps4 has got a static IP on a wired connection. I'm using the DNS servers from my internet provider. Using Google DNS servers didn't seem to work very well for some reason.
  • Server ps4 is listed as DMZ on my router.
  • Server ps4 has got the following ports forwarded:
    UDP 7777
    UDP 7778
    TCP 80
    TCP 443
    TCP 1935
    TCP/UDP 3478
    TCP/UDP 27015
    TCP/UDP 27016
    TCP 3480
    UDP 3479
  • Gaming ps4 has not received any changes and is just connected to the network using the "easy" method (wired connection)

Network settings with Nat Type 1

I just let the server receive an IP from the modem. Port forwarding or DMZ is not necessary, and not even possible, because you have nat type 1.

Starting the server

• Join a non-password Dedicated server 
  • Create a character, wait to load and exit to main menu.
  • Start the server with your desired settings.
  • Pray to all the 7 gods.

Finding/joining the server on your client

To find the server I selected "player dedicated ark's", ticked on "show password protected" and I made sure the session list was only showing ARK servers set on PVP.
Normally I'm able to find the server straight away. I just select join, enter the password and then it launches me into the game.

If you can't find the server in the list your best chance is to restart your game and refresh your server list until it pops up. You'll notice when you restart your game you'll either get the exact same server list, or you'll get a different one. Keep trying until you find it. Don't bother bookmarking it if you do find it, it doesn't work.

Best way to connect to a dedicated server (most likely you won't find the server you are looking for in the ark server browser)

Let me start with saying that the Ark server browser is buggy at best. It's slow, you can't cancel and for some reason when you restart the game you'll get a totally different list of dedicated servers thrown at you. I have given up on using the Ark server browser and with the below method you don't even need it.

This works best if you run a private server with a small to medium player base. Here's how I handle my invitations:

• I created a message group on psn with all the players added (not necessary but useful for communication)

Taking these steps will allow players to join the server whenever they want by using this method:

• Go to Other Sessions
  • Select join
  • You'll go back to the game and wait. It might take a few seconds to start loading but you'll join the server. You won't need to enter a password

Keep in mind that when the host restarts the server he or she will need to send out a game invite to all the players for this to work. As soon as you have played on the server once or received an invite since server restart it will work.

Admin commands

The admin commands do not work as the host psn. You will need to add a player to the "administrator players" to use the admin commands. In my case I've just added my player account so I do all the admin stuff from there.
To do this, go to the player you want to add in the connected players list, press X to select the player and press X on "add admin". The player will now show up in the administrator players list on the right.
The player will need to restart his game for it to work.

Once admin, just press options and you'll see a bar at the top of your screen with an "admin command" button.
From there you can enter your admin commands, for example "admincheat destroywilddinos" (without quotes)

Server maps

The dedicated server creates a save file for each of the maps.
So when you start a server on "the island" you'll have a save for that map.
If you restart the server and select the center or scorched earth, it'll create a save for these.
If later you want to return to the island, it will load up your save from before.

Player capacity

So far my standard ps4 is doing a great job handling up to 18 players. That said, I don't think much more would guarantee a lag free gaming experience, not with my bandwidth connection anyway.
My guess is that the maximum player capacity will lay around 20-25 for the standard ps4.

Hopefully this guide helps! Good luck survivor!

Yo man i refresh and refresh i even disconnected internet and restart my ps4 but i can't find the server anymore...it makes me sad cause i was pretty far. Do you know any other solution???

Only other suggestion I have is written down in the guide:

• Go to Other Sessions
  • Select join

TLDR: Add the server psn account, make sure you received an invite and/or played on the server once and then join the server through your psn friend's list by selecting the server psn account and selecting "join session"

4 hours ago, EyePharTed said:

Hello...

I have my own PvP server running on ps4 pro.  

My community is complaining about lack of Dino's.  Someone suggested I use DestroyWildDinos to kill all wild Dino's.. They say that new ones will respawn. 

Is this true?  Anyone have any success with this?

Thanks

Yes, when you use the command destroywilddinos it will kill all wild dinos and new ones will spawn. It will take a good few minutes for the whole map to become populated again.

I use this to clear up big packs of dino's or just to try get higher level dino's to spawn after we've been killing low level ones.

Hi, just started my own dedicated hosted at the game compagny I work at, very good bandwidth and no lag at all. Only problem is stability, we have ran it for the past 4 days and had to reboot it each 24-30 hours time because it eventually disconnect everybody. Did you encounter this ? Could be due to our company network architecture but normally all PSN stuff is open. I think its like the same thing that used to happen when I left my minecraft server running on my home PS4, eventually it boots people out. It could have been related to the PS4 heating, so I have put a fan directly on it in case. I wish we could run it for at least 4-5 days so it doesnt hang on the Week ends, it sucks to have to physically go to work to reboot the PS4 and the game. (I dont have VPN access so cant remote to it). Any suggestions/clues/settings could be responsible for that ?

Note : there is never more than 5 people connected on the server.

I've got similar problems at random times.. Sometimes the server runs fine for up to 80 hours, sometimes it happens after 24 hours or less.
Most of time clients get a disconnected message and are not able to re-join. When I check the server it's still up and running, no blue screen.

This happened when my server was connected through a router/modem combo and still happens since it's connected straight into the modem.

I've not found any cause or solution for this, just letting you know you're not the only one with the problem and I think it's not something we can fix.

Archived