Leeches and a tough learning experience

Zoukatron

Hi all, just thought I'd share an experience I had today playing Ark single-player (really struggling to play online). I was riding my allosaur, accompanied by a couple rexes, having a jolly old time hunting just about anything we wanted. I got a few leeches on my allo, which I spotted and took off with a torch (I'd gotten them on myself before so new to use fire). Didn't realise my two rexes had been leeched as well. I was very confused when my two badasses seemed to be getting more and more bloody when they'd been tearing carnos apart so quickly and easily before. Got even more confused when the lower level one dropped dead behind me, downright shocked when the second did the same. Only later did I realise it was leeches. Damn leeches. It's the smallest creatures in this game that will get you the worst. Enjoy.

16 hours ago, Zoukatron said:

Hi all, just thought I'd share an experience I had today playing Ark single-player (really struggling to play online). I was riding my allosaur, accompanied by a couple rexes, having a jolly old time hunting just about anything we wanted. I got a few leeches on my allo, which I spotted and took off with a torch (I'd gotten them on myself before so new to use fire). Didn't realise my two rexes had been leeched as well. I was very confused when my two badasses seemed to be getting more and more bloody when they'd been tearing carnos apart so quickly and easily before. Got even more confused when the lower level one dropped dead behind me, downright shocked when the second did the same. Only later did I realise it was leeches. Damn leeches. It's the smallest creatures in this game that will get you the worst. Enjoy.

Yar, they are the worst. An easy thing to get rid of them (on rexes, haven't tried other creatures) is to pull up the radial and at the very top, there is an option to hold "remove leech"

Yeah, I found out about that option the following day after looking up leeches on the wiki. Not knowing that that option is there, and having no reason to expect it to be there, is very frustrating. I'm also pretty shocked by how powerful alpha raptors are - just lost a pack of 5 regular raptors (average level 50 I guess) and my level 68 allo to a single level 1 alpha raptor. Again, no reason why I should expect an alpha raptor (having not fought one before) to be so absurdly powerful.

24 minutes ago, Zoukatron said:

Yeah, I found out about that option the following day after looking up leeches on the wiki. Not knowing that that option is there, and having no reason to expect it to be there, is very frustrating. I'm also pretty shocked by how powerful alpha raptors are - just lost a pack of 5 regular raptors (average level 50 I guess) and my level 68 allo to a single level 1 alpha raptor. Again, no reason why I should expect an alpha raptor (having not fought one before) to be so absurdly powerful.

A trike, or other dino with a knockback and a small hill is an easy way to deal with alpha raptors :)
Just push them down and wait for them to run up again, repeat. Time it and they'll never hit you.

35 minutes ago, Zoukatron said:

Ya alphas are absurd, but the rewards are great (most of the time). The problem is if one of your small tames dies, or a wild animal dies and it gets to eat it, it regains TONS of health, and snowballs your chances of losing. Also, raptors are pretty weak mounts, better for movement and small game, not so much prolonged combat. An alphas dmg is so high compared to a raptors very low health; same goes for Allosaurs, which are handicapped when they are in a group of less than 3. The best thing to do is either just beat it up with a much larger animal (like a rex) or try and cheat it to death with knockback, like Gelatinous said above. 

I'm on a new server so I don't have quetzals anymore (champion alpha killers) so I use Argents and rexes. Argents are good because they can usually float juuuuust above and hit it without being hit in return, but be sure and carry lots of meat to regen your bird when it does get hit. 

Note that this only really applies to alpha raptors and carnos, alpha rexes should NOT be trifled with unless you have quetzals or a pack of very, very high rexes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Never realised I had a leech on my rex and logged off. It had the cyber skin so I couldn't see the blood. Over 10k health, and jumped on him with <200 health left. MAJOR panic force feeding meat while trying to get a fire lit (the remove leech option wasn't working for some reason)

Terrified for about 30 minutes!!

On 16/01/2017 at 6:27 PM, Zoukatron said:

Thanks for all the advice guys. And I hadn't actually thought that allos were actually that week. A shame, as I think they are my favourite predatory dino in the game - I like their sleekness and stance. Rexes and carnos look like brawlers, the allo looks like a hunter. :)

A high level Allo is deadly, and a pack of them even more so.

Almost had the same happen to my rex, good thing my tribemate noticed the leech symbol at the top when he rode it. literally didn't even know x.x

Regarding allos, yeah they are weak when alone but in a pack they're so much stronger. I got an allo that ended with 480% melee after 100% imprint and an allo with only 430% after 100% imprint. before leveling i tested them on a dummy. the 480% got like 2410 damage then the 430% one got like 5k damage and I was so confused xD turns out the 430% one got joined in my nearby pack while the 480% for some reason didnt. so yeah. as you can see, the pack bonus gives you more than double the damage.

1 hour ago, IoIipop said:

Almost had the same happen to my rex, good thing my tribemate noticed the leech symbol at the top when he rode it. literally didn't even know x.x

Regarding allos, yeah they are weak when alone but in a pack they're so much stronger. I got an allo that ended with 480% melee after 100% imprint and an allo with only 430% after 100% imprint. before leveling i tested them on a dummy. the 480% got like 2410 damage then the 430% one got like 5k damage and I was so confused xD turns out the 430% one got joined in my nearby pack while the 480% for some reason didnt. so yeah. as you can see, the pack bonus gives you more than double the damage.

You have to divide the dummy damage by roughly 11 I believe. l because the damage the dummy is showing is dino damage against thatch structures, and not their actual damage.

Archived