Troodon Ridiculousness

Daedros

So, i found a Lvl 120 Troodon earlier and snatched it up with my Quetzal and threw it in my Taming pen. After reading up on how to tame them, i proceeded to feed it about half the low level dinos in my Egg Farm, all on Neutral with the bigger tames (Trikes, Stegos, Ankylos, etc) unconscious. I fed it about a dozen Dodos, 6 Dilophosaurus, 3 Trikes, 2 Stegos, a Pachy and a Parasaur. All of that, and the Troodon's bar was only about 5% full. So i decided to go for some bigger, higher Exp tames.

I proceeded to tame 6 Paracers (two of which were Lvl 100+), then i set them to Neutral, knocked them out (that's a buttload of darts...), and got them to low health. Then i threw on a full Mastercraft Riot Gear set with a Journeyman Riot Shield. I dropped the Troodon near the Paracers, and got him to attack me while i was standing next to the Paracers, blocking his attacks with my shield. The Troodon ate all 6 Paracers, and his Taming Bar barely went up. This is on an unofficial server which has 10x Exp/Taming rates (so equivalent to the old 20x, the admin still hasn't adjusted the rates by halving them).  I've seen videos of them being tamed after eating just 3 lvl 10-20 Paracers. The Ark Wiki states that all Troodons require 1000 combat Exp to tame, regardless of their level. That appears to be wrong. Btw, Troodon likes to circle around to your sides and back while attacking, which gets past your shield. This is one of the most infuriating tames that i've had to deal with.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Slik101 said:

Try not knocking them unconscious or don't take away all their health that might help

Dead Troodons then. For something like a Paracer, it must be unconscious for it to not kill the Troodon. Yeah, waiting on a Troodon to kill a 6k+ Health Lvl 100+ Paracer would take forever. My shield would break before then. The Troodon won't attack even unconscious Paracers on it's own, it hits them at the same time it's biting at me.

I've had the same problem on a x5 unofficial server. I solved this problem by dropping more Troodon together in a pen and taming multiples at once. The ones that tamed before others I plucked out of the pen with a bird, and left the rest to continue their slaughter.

To tame, what we used was dino babies whistled to neutral. It ripped apart 2 Level 210 baby turtles and we had a Level 50 tamed. As long as the Troodon don't eat your standing torches you should be able to tame them with fert eggs of egger dinos. They're easier for Troodon to kill and count towards the tame bar.

Yeah, i just fed 4 Baby Trikes, and 2 Baby Carnotaurus, all Lvl 170+, to the same Lvl 120 Troodon. He was only half tame after that, then i DCed and it turned day...Whoever wrote that taming list for Troodon on the Ark Wiki, was talking out their ass.

Tried again, this time with Baby Stegos and Baby Allosaurus, but the Troodon refused to attack them, and my tribemate's Quetzal attacked and killed the Troodon...

Seriously wasted like 5-6 hours trying to tame that 120 Troodon.

I'll just have to stock up on Fertilized Trike/Carnotaurus Eggs, get them near to hatching and then throw them in the fridge. Then the next time i find a Lvl 120 Troodon, i can throw him in my taming pen, wait until almost night, then pull the eggs out and hatch them, then feed him a buttload of baby Trikes and Carnos. Maybe then i'll get a tame Troodon.

honestly, the troodons dont seem worth the hastle, really i would have thought maybe 20 dodos or maybe a stego should be enough to tame one of this instantly, not having to feed it a damn giga or 2 baby rexs that are lvl 158 or above. honestly at that point i might as well keep the baby rexs, at least then i can have something that can actually kill things. I know this is suppose to be a cool mechanic, and honestly if this was for a rex or something bigger then maybe a paracer or 3 would be ok, but for a troodon.... sorry, not worth it 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2016 at 0:38 AM, Daedros said:

Yeah, i just fed 4 Baby Trikes, and 2 Baby Carnotaurus, all Lvl 170+, to the same Lvl 120 Troodon. He was only half tame after that, then i DCed and it turned day...Whoever wrote that taming list for Troodon on the Ark Wiki, was talking out their ass.

Tried again, this time with Baby Stegos and Baby Allosaurus, but the Troodon refused to attack them, and my tribemate's Quetzal attacked and killed the Troodon...

Seriously wasted like 5-6 hours trying to tame that 120 Troodon.

I'll just have to stock up on Fertilized Trike/Carnotaurus Eggs, get them near to hatching and then throw them in the fridge. Then the next time i find a Lvl 120 Troodon, i can throw him in my taming pen, wait until almost night, then pull the eggs out and hatch them, then feed him a buttload of baby Trikes and Carnos. Maybe then i'll get a tame Troodon.

There is a cool down period, the same with all passive tames. You have to feed them and then wait. I have not seen anyone who has figured out exactly what the cool down period is, though.

Another strategy I use:

Troodons will attack tamed dinos they normally don't target if you mount them. I would ride saddled Paracers set on neutral into the pen and let them eat them from under me, and the bar would go up. If you get the Trood aggro on you, and you jump onto the mount, it will start attacking the mount.

On 1/10/2017 at 10:57 PM, NathanAndDaddy said:

There is a cool down period, the same with all passive tames. You have to feed them and then wait. I have not seen anyone who has figured out exactly what the cool down period is, though.

If so, that's pretty ridiculous. Putting a cool down period on something that tames best at night, when night doesn't last that long.

3 hours ago, Tycoon01 said:

Taming troodons is easy when you get the hang of it. Fight through the misinformation, build a strategy, profit. I would love to give you the recipe but the battle is the reward. Good luck!

^ In other words "I have no idea how to do it but wanted to sound awesome anyways!"  lol

I've only been able to tame one troodon. A level 110 which tamed after one kill during the night with the last 3x taming we had. His kill was a level 95 wyvern baby. It took me around an hour from the time I led him into my taming pen to the time he tamed. I had to weaken the wyvern first, and sat atop a raptor while the troodon attacked me/the baby. Most of the time was chasing the wyvern around the pen (it flees when on neutral) and trying to keep the troodon hits ON the baby.
Also, the troodon are annoying as they seem to randomly decide to just spin circles or try to run away instead of attack, even during the night. Maybe my pen was too small (2x4) and it messed with his AI, or maybe he just had some brain damage from attacking my stone walls most of the time. 

Since we are again at 3x (rather 1.5x with the new default) taming until Monday on officials, I hope to try to get another troodon with a wyvern baby as his kill. I'm also hoping it goes more smooth than the first one did because that was kind of a cluster of confusion and hit-and-miss tactics on my part. lol

Overall, troodon are definitely a headache. Their torpor is much too strong, I've run into packs containing 8 troodon which proceeded to eat my face, and they are a pain in the butt to tame.  The question remains, however, are they useful? On pve for me, not at all. Like the pegomastax, my troodon just stands in the barn looking useless. But what doesn't work for me could be someone elses perfect dino, so more power to anyone that wants to tame the little buttheads!

They are not hard to tame. Just costly. Basically you sacrifice a high level spino to them and boom you're done. Now you have a nearly useless compy that does lots of torpor. Leave some on aggressive in your crafting room for a last line of defense? 

Imagine how useful it would be if we could set them to not attack unconscious players. Muhaha the new jail guard. 

On 12/27/2016 at 11:17 PM, Firestorm672 said:

honestly, the troodons dont seem worth the hastle, really i would have thought maybe 20 dodos or maybe a stego should be enough to tame one of this instantly, not having to feed it a damn giga or 2 baby rexs that are lvl 158 or above. honestly at that point i might as well keep the baby rexs, at least then i can have something that can actually kill things. I know this is suppose to be a cool mechanic, and honestly if this was for a rex or something bigger then maybe a paracer or 3 would be ok, but for a troodon.... sorry, not worth it 

Troodons have basic "cheat" abilities. Not only do they knock out players but they can locate players, tames, traps, and wild dinos with in a range every 60 seconds so you can always know whats going on around you. 

On 12/27/2016 at 8:13 PM, LilNastyGurl said:

I've had the same problem on a x5 unofficial server. I solved this problem by dropping more Troodon together in a pen and taming multiples at once. The ones that tamed before others I plucked out of the pen with a bird, and left the rest to continue their slaughter.

To tame, what we used was dino babies whistled to neutral. It ripped apart 2 Level 210 baby turtles and we had a Level 50 tamed. As long as the Troodon don't eat your standing torches you should be able to tame them with fert eggs of egger dinos. They're easier for Troodon to kill and count towards the tame bar.

good info right there, thx.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:14 AM, LilNastyGurl said:

Another strategy I use:

Troodons will attack tamed dinos they normally don't target if you mount them. I would ride saddled Paracers set on neutral into the pen and let them eat them from under me, and the bar would go up. If you get the Trood aggro on you, and you jump onto the mount, it will start attacking the mount.

thanks for the tip

SPOILER ALERT: They're super easy with a wyvern baby. Just make sure it's night, and make sure you hatch minimum lvl 75 egg. Wyvern babys don't need to be fed for a few hours after hatching so you have plenty of time to get it done. Just put the baby on neutral, injure it down to like ~25 hits points, aggro the troodon, stand on top of the baby while the troodon attacks you. He'll also damage the baby and when he kills it. Boom. Insta-tamed.

Archived