Solo wyvern milking: REAL Tips?

DremoRaph

PLEASE DON'T IGNORE THIS POST BECAUSE IT'S LONG, IT'S NOT MEANT TO ONLY HELP ME: BUT EVERY OTHER PLAYERS IN A SIMILAR CONDITION LOOKING FOR SOLID INFORMATION ON THIS TOPIC(which dosen't exist at the moment). Consider this as a probable main reference/encyclopedia/information pool on this topic, on a "Professional" way

Ok so I was looking all over the internet: forums, videos, wikis, etc etc, just to find help and tips to an easy, cheap and safe way to get wyvern milk for hatching my FIRST wyvern in SOLO mode. I've seen everything: over 200% speed argys kite, overly expensive traps, paracer Platform with chain bolas, tribe aggro with golems, Rex army/ Auto turret fulled building to kill Alphas, Tapejaras squads, tranq traps on mountains, Metal safe boxes, Mantis with clubs madness... EVERYTHING! But the thing is I don't know the best way to do it from all of those or yet untold methods if I want it:

1- Cheap

2- Safe

3-Effective

4-Soloable

Here is some more spécifications to get a more precise answer(you might want to skip them, if so, just go where the specs end but be sure to give a decent answer on the topic! If you want some specs but not too much, only read those in bold characters):

1-I play in solo mode on Xbox, but I still have access a certain friend and maybe another one to help (See spec 3) but I have to say he/they is/are very unexperienced on Scorched earth and in any complex tasks in the game, if I need his/their help it must be for something simple or fast to learn

2- Being on Solo, I actually altered some of the game aspects to make it actually playable, notably hatch speed and baby dino growth rate(both at 6.0; 1.0 being default). I can alterate some other aspects if necessary for making it easier (like baby food comsumption) while keeping a certain "legit" aspect (no wild dino torpor debuff for example) to actually get the fame for hatching the egg. TL;DR: changing aspects and stats of the game concerning the Hatching and raising process is acceptable, while anything relevant to player or wild wyvern stats isn't, a temporary spoil time augmentation could be added if I see it's actually impossible to do it without that

3- Remember those friends I talked about? They owe me a service concerning taming or dino exchanges. My group of friend all plays alone on their games with some Survivor/dino/item transfers into each other games to trade services or goods. I'm the only one who actually keeps up with Scorched earth difficulty, so I have access to thingsd they don't and they have things that I can't get too. The other day, I helped one of my pals to tame a Quetzal because I'm the only one with a dino to actually tame it easily (A Tapejara actually,yes, my friends are incompetent enought to fail taming it or they are either too dumb to see it's huge utility) and with that being said, he owes me Something that I would normally don't even have access to on *SE*. TL;DR: I have access to anything outside of Scorched Earth, notably dinos (or their eggs) like Brontos, Spinos, Pteranodons and, most importantly, a Quetzal(I guess that one would be the most usefull)

4- My game is on difficulty 0.2 (default difficulty), most wyverns range from lvl 10 to 35/40, but can sometime reach up to 70 in rare cases.

5-My goal is to hatch an egg, more precisely a level 14 fire egg (with some time I could get a better one as I am pretty fluent in egg stealing, but it would get exponentially harder to raise threw it's growth phase... I don't have much information on that so maybe i'm wrong, all precisions are welcomed), I have no problem hatching any eggs ( I got a 3x3 closed wooden "incubator" room with 16 campfires) the only problem is the milk: how to get it easily and how many should I get, with maybe some tips on keeping it unspoiled for the time the wyvern grows or if I need to gather It WHILE it grows or if i'm ok mass gathering it BEFORE

6- There's no way I can defeat an Alpha with my current experience with them (I actually never fought one of them) the specified egg above is actually my possible way to defeat one(I heard tamed fire wyverns are the best way to 1v1 them easily) for other wyvern raisings (Friends don't have access to them, remember, If I get a good way to breed and raise several wyverns, i'll become pretty much a god in trading value for them) BUT if you have a simple, safe and ressource-friendly way to defeat one (I spotted a level 4 in the world scar, I guess he is pretty weak but he got like 8 other wyverns all over him, notably lvl40 Lightning and so on) I always welcome new ways to think when it comes to means to kill dangerous enemies.

7- My current tames are: lvl 58 Argy (about 16X% mov speed, training him to get over 200), lvl 52 Tapejara (focused on weight, damage and stamina, he is my all-around tame principally meant for metal runs and land carnivores hunting). lvl 60-something Paracer with Platform ( focused on health and general stats, soon to be equiped with a canon on the rear of it's stone structure I added, meant to tame a golem), Rex pack around lvl 30-40(always growing because of tames and cross-breeding). Note that I have access to every other tames on the map except for Mantis, Wyvern(obviously) and Golem (still don't know if i'm gonna be able to aim correctly with the canon...)

8- Ressource-wise, I don't want to touch anything higher than stone-tier if possible, electric devices and late game crafts needs a lot of ressources I can hardly get in massive quantities alone

9-Character is lvl 68, all stats increases in game rules are at 1.0, Leveling on SE is really easy so I can easily get to 80 and above

11- Another fact: you are either tired reading all the specs or you didn't read them at all...

12- You didn't realised number 10 is missing

13- Yes, I'm making jokes to decrease your boredom so i'll get decent answers =D

SPECIFICATIONS ENDS HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer, please follow the model i'll write below. Dosen't really matter if you do or if you don't care about the specs listed above, just share your methods and tips in a "Professional" way with lots of détails!

NAME OF THE METHOD

WHAT IT'S MEANT FOR: (by default I want wyvern milking tips concerning knocking out females, but feel free to share methods on hatching, Alpha takedowns, or anything I mentionned in the specs)

PERSONAL RATING:(opinion here)

DIFFICULTY AND SAFETY: X/10, 10 being as safe as 1v1 a raptor

RESSOURCES CONSUMPTION: X/10, 10 being as cheap as making a thatch tower

EFFECTIVENESS: X/10, 10 being comparable to get an amount milk as much as having literally a wyvern milking station

SOLOABLE?: Easily made in solo/Can be used in solo, but highly suggested to get help/ Need light help/ Bring an army dude

YOU NEED: (actual list of ressources or final products) (specific tame with specific recommended stats if needed)

THE PROCESS: (actually explain your method)

SPECIFICATIONS: (Tips, personnal advice and experience, détails, we need to make those methods understandable by any member of the community, not only those in my conditions!)

Thanks for reading (if you did...) and I'm already really gratefull for any answers i'll get! Don't forget: those informations are not only for me, but for the whole community, precisely those who have difficulties on this topic because, like I already said, informations on the internet for that kind of help is either VERY light or scattered across versions, conditions and fake information!

Once again thank you!!!And sorry for bad English, of course!

P.S.: Another thing about this Topic: if anyone could give answers on the question about milk regenaration on wild and tamed female wyverns, it would be more than welcome! A lot of players spreads fake information and the wiki still could be wrong about it like many things, please give us the thruth about it with actual expérimentations behind it to prove it!

1. Seems like you have plenty of answers already based on the methods you listed.  None of them are extremely difficult, just time consuming.

2. Wyverns are end game content, so there is no easy answer for what you're asking... read #1 above.

That said the most effective method I've used consistently is kiting wyverns into a relatively simple, but large stone trapping cage.  Metal is better, but stone will get you started.  Foundation base needs to be 7 wide x 13 long... so you'll need a very large flat area near the wyvern trench.  There's a couple of ridges running out perpendicular from the trench that are good for this.  Most have 100% wind in the area too, so you can run all your power needs off a single windmill turbine. 

The kiting entrance should be a Behemoth Gate (so build your walls and ceiling up to that height); the "exit" should have pillars wide enough to fly an Argie through.  You'll want to build a walkway coming away from the exit that is 21 foundations long (this is the distance from which a Lightening Wyvern can strike).  At the end of the walkway, you can build whatever you want, but I've turned my area into a outpost with a small Metal/Adobe structure for storm protection and storage (w/ Salts, Preserving Bin, etc.) and another large structure for hatching eggs and raising Wyvern younglings.  At the end of the walkway however, you will want a Keypad tied to the Behemoth Gate.

From here it's pretty straight forward.  Tame a new Argie... power level it and pump all XP into speed and some stamina.  Open the Behemoth Gate entrance to your trap.  Kite a female Wyvern into it... fly straight out between the exit pillars to the end of the path where you quickly jump off and use the Keypad to shut the Behemoth Gate.  Then from the end of the pathway, pound the Wyvern with Tranq Darts until it's down.  Walk up, steal milk, store in frigde... rinse/repeat.

Again... simple... but not quick.  If you want better, faster, stronger... use cheat codes... because again, this is end-game Scorched Earth content, and there is no quick and easy way to the finish line.

First of all low lv wyvern are HARDER to raise due to the fact that they have less food to start with and will starve fast.

Second, I lost way to my argen, ptera, and tapejara trying to get the first milk. All had above 200% speed. AFTER THE FIRST FEEDING I HAD 0 FLYING CREATURES.

Howerver, I had a 150 golem (rock elemental) and a trap.  Shoot the wyvern with a longneck or sniper rifle. then jump on your golem and head inside the trap. Mine had 10K hp and I only lost 400-600 in the 30sec. it took to get inside the trap and knock it out.

Remember to set the golem to passive. Tranc the wyvern, grab the milk and then either kill the wyvern with the golem or leave it in the trap so

you can retranc it in an hour for milk.( remember not to leave the golem inside the trap if your going to retranc it.)  I solo raised 3 wyverns on an official server

this way with no problems after I started using the golem.. just remember that alpha wyverns will tear up a low lv golem, and 3 or more wyverns at once will chip

away at it's health fast.

Alternativly, now that you can download gigas to Scorched Earth you can us a high lv giga to kill alpha wyverns for supper easy 50 milk.

As a side note. Golems regain health much faster if you have them next to your baby wyverns where you are at. Being outside of render distance puts them in stasis

and slows down the healing process, which is rather long if it took a while to get the wyvern knocked out.

What I used:  150+ rock elemental, gas mask for poison wyverns, spyglass, fab sniper riffle, a standard wyvern trap, a xbow with 225% damage.

Rock elementals take no damage from wyvern breath attacks, and 1/2 damage from wyvern melee attacks.  I kept the golem in the trap with foundations for the base to keep deathworms from attacking it while i waited for time to get more milk.

7 minutes ago, Shizolator said:

Seems like you have plenty of answers already based on the methods you listed.  None of them are extremely difficult, just time consuming.

The fact is that I can't use those listed methods because they are either meant for mass production on servers with 5+ high leveled tribe members assistance to get the stronger the fastest or for cheated solo plays. While a lot of them are applicable (like your fairly common trap, that I am highly considering because of it's very simple ressource needs but that are yet "kinda" long to gather solo) in a lot of situations, I was primarily looking for something simple as I'm not looking to get beasts over lvl 120, just something to start off and have fun in solo without competition and maximum output. Actually, I kinda hoped someone in the same gameplay style of me (which is kinda rare beside my friends I mentioned) to say he knocked only one or two with a speed/stamina ptera  by only kiting dismount/shoot/flee kinda strategy. But well I guess it's more like a fantasy and I should try to get myself in the bigger leagues to get effective outcomes

34 minutes ago, neocirus said:

First of all low lv wyvern are HARDER to raise due to the fact that they have less food to start with and will starve fast.

Kinda vital information I really needed, I had no real information on this since the wiki was reaaaaally unclear on that point last time I checked and it seemed like a common knowledge in the community, most of eggs I hatched at level 80-110 were things like Rexes or raptor, so I didnt really bother verifying that fact since I generally just force fed until it could hold enought food to last more than 20 minuttes. But yet I need to ask another question for the same reasons: does the level have an impact on the time it needs to mature? Like, would a lvl 80 baby take more time compared to a level 20, or is it the same for both?

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, DremoRaph said:

But yet I need to ask another question for the same reasons: does the level have an impact on the time it needs to mature? Like, would a lvl 80 baby take more time compared to a level 20, or is it the same for both?

Level doesn't affect maturation time.

I've yet to see a reliable tip on how to solo anything on Scorched for the one, simple, and unavoidable fact for us Xbox One players: the dashboard. The dreaded definitely-going-to-happen dashboard crash. 

Perfect bird > perfect egg > perfect trap > all in all, a perfect soloing method ... can't do it reliably because of the dashboard error. Lame.  

OK, another reason to only tame a high level.

First, I've never completely tamed one, but doing one right now on an official server for PC players because I was incubating my eggs to get them ready to tame (like a 5 hour incubation time) and forgot to set a timer and hatched a level 190 Poison wyvern.

So I thought, I'm not ready, don't have time off from work, I'll just let it die. About 10 hours later it was still not dead.

What the wiki doesn't say, is that even after the baby has no food left, it doesn't die until the health hits 0. A level 190 has a little over 2000 food and over 2500 health right off the bat when it is hatched. Right off the bat, you can basically fill it with food and leave for work, come home and then feed it immediately and it won't die. You can't do that with a level 50 hatch.

All these leaving it for long times assumes you just really want a wyvern and don't care about 100% imprinting. Just let go of the imprinting requirement (that is for the hard core players) and you can do this.

Now solo (which I think you mean single player mode), you should even be able to imprint with your increased rates and all. Still, you don't need to feed them that often (so less dangerous hunts of wyverns and knocking them out).

OP,

I'm glad you started this thread, but am hoping you get some responses from official PvP players. Would you clarify if by "solo mode" you mean "single player"? Major difference, as solo mode could just mean you're not in a tribe and are trying to "solo" it (a common term for someone trying to accomplish something without tribemember assistance), whereas "single player" is technically very different. For instance, when you log off in single player time is not passing (unless you set up a dedicated server and you're the only one playing it and you keep the server running). So if you're trying to raise a dragon in single player mode ... I mean ... It's just going to take forever because time is only passing when you're logged on.

My recommendation is consider joining a tribe on Scorched Earth and earn your way up to the rank required to hatch a dragon. It would be an awesome experience for you, and since you're in a tribe, you don't have to worry about the limitations you have on playtime (if you're up front with that in the beginning). Just a thought for you to consider. Because really, in single player mode, if you just want to experience a dragon, you could spawn one in. And if you're looking to experience the difficulty and nuances involved with raising a dragon, then I recommend joining a tribe and playing on a dedicated server or an official server. 

2 hours ago, wildbill said:

OK, another reason to only tame a high level.

First, I've never completely tamed one, but doing one right now on an official server for PC players because I was incubating my eggs to get them ready to tame (like a 5 hour incubation time) and forgot to set a timer and hatched a level 190 Poison wyvern.

So I thought, I'm not ready, don't have time off from work, I'll just let it die. About 10 hours later it was still not dead.

What the wiki doesn't say, is that even after the baby has no food left, it doesn't die until the health hits 0. A level 190 has a little over 2000 food and over 2500 health right off the bat when it is hatched. Right off the bat, you can basically fill it with food and leave for work, come home and then feed it immediately and it won't die. You can't do that with a level 50 hatch.

All these leaving it for long times assumes you just really want a wyvern and don't care about 100% imprinting. Just let go of the imprinting requirement (that is for the hard core players) and you can do this.

Now solo (which I think you mean single player mode), you should even be able to imprint with your increased rates and all. Still, you don't need to feed them that often (so less dangerous hunts of wyverns and knocking them out).

I'm curious ... does a starving baby that is losing health still mature at the same rate? I'm assuming it does--and I've raised plenty of dinos--but I've never actually bothered testing that out. Maybe you, or another reader, has. 

Hearsay

I've also heard that if you're going to raise dragons, you may as well raise five at once, the reason being: they only eat milk, and the only "kibble" they ask for when imprinting is milk (#PrayForCuddleOrWalk), and when you drain a female wyvern you get five bottles of milk (much more for an alpha). Is this standard practice?

Spoilage

I know the milk spoils extremely fast, however; I recall reading somewhere that there was some sort of spoilage trick you could use by uploading it through the terminal. Anyone have any experience with this in the latest version of the game on Official servers?

2 minutes ago, TimeSpiral said:

OP,

I'm glad you started this thread, but am hoping you get some responses from official PvP players. Would you clarify if by "solo mode" you mean "single player"? Major difference, as solo mode could just mean you're not in a tribe and are trying to "solo" it (a common term for someone trying to accomplish something without tribemember assistance), whereas "single player" is technically very different. For instance, when you log off in single player time is not passing (unless you set up a dedicated server and you're the only one playing it and you keep the server running). So if you're trying to raise a dragon in single player mode ... I mean ... It's just going to take forever because time is only passing when you're logged on.

My recommendation is consider joining a tribe on Scorched Earth and earn your way up to the rank required to hatch a dragon. It would be an awesome experience for you, and since you're in a tribe, you don't have to worry about the limitations you have on playtime (if you're up front with that in the beginning). Just a thought for you to consider. Because really, in single player mode, if you just want to experience a dragon, you could spawn one in. And if you're looking to experience the difficulty and nuances involved with raising a dragon, then I recommend joining a tribe and playing on a dedicated server or an official server. 

I'm curious ... does a starving baby that is losing health still mature at the same rate? I'm assuming it does--and I've raised plenty of dinos--but I've never actually bothered testing that out. Maybe you, or another reader, has. 

Hearsay

I've also heard that if you're going to raise dragons, you may as well raise five at once, the reason being: they only eat milk, and the only "kibble" they ask for when imprinting is milk (#PrayForCuddleOrWalk), and when you drain a female wyvern you get five bottles of milk (much more for an alpha). Is this standard practice?

Spoilage

I know the milk spoils extremely fast, however; I recall reading somewhere that there was some sort of spoilage trick you could use by uploading it through the terminal. Anyone have any experience with this in the latest version of the game on Official servers?

The starving baby wyvern seemed to still be maturing, although it look pretty bloody :D

I do plan to raise 5 this weekend, for the very reason you mention, you get 5 milk from an unconscious female wyvern. 50 if you kill the alpha. I will try to kill the alpha, but I've not always been able to find it. For me (already have a wyvern that I traded for), it is quicker and costs less resources to just kill the alpha wyvern. Also I've designed my wyvern base around the idea of raising 5. You do not want to try and raise them in a base that does not have enough room for them when they become adults. That would not be a good idea.

The milk lasts almost 3 hours if you always transport it with preserving salts in the inventory and also in the preserving bin. I've never tried the terminal trick. 

6 hours ago, TimeSpiral said:

OP,

For the technical aspect of it, yes, it is what you call "single player". While time dosen't pass while i'm disonnected, this has a VERY VERY low impact on it. since the single player game is owned by me, I can always edit aspects of the game, like all of those related to time, so im pretty much equiped with unlimited possibilities. This is actually what I've done to my game, as I mentionned in the SPECS section of my headline post. This means that while you mention it would take "forever", that rule dosen't apply to me because of those obvious reasons. I could actually edit all of those aspects to make the baby grow in 3,5 seconds, but whats the fun? I already mentioned that I edited my game to make it viable in Solo and make it's difficulty comparable to official games.

And as for your recommendation, i'll repeat once again that I am on XBOX, which means official servers are:

1- rarely joinable due to their lack of space or to oh-so-common BUGS in the game

2- 4 times out of 5 controlled by HugeTribes taking their control over all the map and making the gameplay toxic

3-really really really boring, since growth is either limited or absolutely boosted by other players

4-stressfull as hell compared to relaxed solo or friend based games

And as for Dedicated servers... everyone knows that they are a real joke on console, literrally a running gag

The only way I could ever get a healthy gameplay on official servers would be to get Pre-Invited into an already experienced and settled Tribe with lots to learn from , which is nearly impossible due to the almost complete lack of established communities on console

Cheap and effective wyvern trap! I use it on an official server, and it always works.

If you use remote pin pads, you can reduce the dangers of closing the gate. Though, if you position your entrance (gate) away from the middle of the map, they wyverns won't be smart enough to leave 90% of the time, and I don't even  bother to close the gate while tranqing them.

With preserving salt and preserving bins close by, you can have milk last up to 3 hours. If you have your barn close to your trap so that the female doesn't despawn, you can re-tranq and milk her once every hour.

Most babies will need to be fed every 2-3 hours safely (vanilla settings) and less so as they become juvenile and adolescent. Incubate your eggs prior to when you're ready to raise, then begin early in your day. On the final days, you'll barely have to feed them but a couple times.

I've found that a good, high level ptera with 175+ speed is more than enough to outfly a wyvern. Be sure to get a quality saddle and invest in health and stamina also. (2.5k+hp, 2k stam, 175-200speed)

I solo raised several wyverns at 100% imprint on an official scorched earth server on xbox. It is possible with proper teqnique and careful planning. Good luck!

7 hours ago, DremoRaph said:

For the technical aspect of it, yes, it is what you call "single player". While time dosen't pass while i'm disonnected, this has a VERY VERY low impact on it. since the single player game is owned by me, I can always edit aspects of the game, like all of those related to time, so im pretty much equiped with unlimited possibilities. This is actually what I've done to my game, as I mentionned in the SPECS section of my headline post. This means that while you mention it would take "forever", that rule dosen't apply to me because of those obvious reasons. I could actually edit all of those aspects to make the baby grow in 3,5 seconds, but whats the fun? I already mentioned that I edited my game to make it viable in Solo and make it's difficulty comparable to official games.

And as for your recommendation, i'll repeat once again that I am on XBOX, which means official servers are:

1- rarely joinable due to their lack of space or to oh-so-common BUGS in the game

2- 4 times out of 5 controlled by HugeTribes taking their control over all the map and making the gameplay toxic

3-really really really boring, since growth is either limited or absolutely boosted by other players

4-stressfull as hell compared to relaxed solo or friend based games

And as for Dedicated servers... everyone knows that they are a real joke on console, literrally a running gag

The only way I could ever get a healthy gameplay on official servers would be to get Pre-Invited into an already experienced and settled Tribe with lots to learn from , which is nearly impossible due to the almost complete lack of established communities on console

Sure, brother. Just tryin' to help you out. I'll touch on some of these points:

1. Definitely not true. Plenty of room on tons of servers, especially Center servers. 
  2. Also not true. With the meta changing to Cross Ark toxic Alpha tribes are getting crushed. Server DNA will gradually shift to a more-united culture as the danger of an invading tribe will band them together. 
  3. Not gonna argue about what you consider boring xD
  4. Yup. The danger of being in an official PvP environment is part of the fun. The alternative would be PvE where other players cannot attack you, your dinos, or your structures. 
  5. Dedicated Servers - ok, well, lots of people do it, so it must be playable enough for them. 
  6. Your final point, about an invitation, is exactly what I'm talking about. There is a robust and thriving Ark Xbox One Facebook page where people talk, recruit, join tribes, help each other out, and all sorts of other stuff. With a little bit of looking you will likely find exactly what you're looking for, which sounds to me like: A PvE Scorched Earth tribe with the capabilities to raise Wyverns.

As for your entire premise of editing the single-player settings ... I mean, I just don't get it. You're trying to edit the settings to make it difficult for you by boosting the speed in which everything happens, so when you're logged off nothing bad can happen, and when you're logged in everything goes super fast? Hey, man. Whatever you want, brother! I don't get it, but that doesn't mean it isn't awesome for you!  

7 hours ago, m4Marci said:

Cheap and effective wyvern trap! I use it on an official server, and it always works.

If you use remote pin pads, you can reduce the dangers of closing the gate. Though, if you position your entrance (gate) away from the middle of the map, they wyverns won't be smart enough to leave 90% of the time, and I don't even  bother to close the gate while tranqing them.

With preserving salt and preserving bins close by, you can have milk last up to 3 hours. If you have your barn close to your trap so that the female doesn't despawn, you can re-tranq and milk her once every hour.

Most babies will need to be fed every 2-3 hours safely (vanilla settings) and less so as they become juvenile and adolescent. Incubate your eggs prior to when you're ready to raise, then begin early in your day. On the final days, you'll barely have to feed them but a couple times.

I've found that a good, high level ptera with 175+ speed is more than enough to outfly a wyvern. Be sure to get a quality saddle and invest in health and stamina also. (2.5k+hp, 2k stam, 175-200speed)

I solo raised several wyverns at 100% imprint on an official scorched earth server on xbox. It is possible with proper teqnique and careful planning. Good luck!

Fresonis is great!

I've also seen people keep a Rock Golem near their trap to keep the Wyvern rendered. 

11 hours ago, m4Marci said:

Yes, I think this is the best video of how to make a trap, but do keep in mind that if you don't put this on perfectly level area, the wyvern will escape. In later videos of his, you will see that he adds more ceiling pieces on some of his traps. That is also what I've done. I've also found that you can just space the door frames with one fence foundation between them instead of two if you have the entrance away from 50/50 and use a remote pad.

The first trap i built was about 60 pillars, 10 ceilings, and a behemoth gate.  This is essentially the layout and it can be built on almost any terrain.  Build a wind turbine nearby from a supply drop and keypad to close the gate and you're good to go.  

X     X

X                X

X                X

X-------------X

Just throw ceilings on it so that there aren't any 2x2 wid gaps and you'll be fine.  Upgrade to metal if you want to catch alphas.  There are lots of variants of the box but even an elaborate one won't take that long to farm especially with the 2x rates that are standard now.  Err on the side of overbuilding a little bit I'd say.

Taming the wyverns in SP is surprisingly easy I think you'll find.  Just be prepared to go snag a wyvern every 3 hours or so.  Unlike most tames you can pretty much ignore the growing baby for the rest of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I play on a Xbox pvp se server, I have a trap set up but found that trying to close gate doors solo got all my flying tames killed. First you want to stay away from poison wyverns as they will shot you off your mount. I use a golem tucked into the side of a mountain. On one side of the golem I have a set of stone walls, I'd say I have 9 to 12 walls(making a triangle /\). I leave the golem on aggressive to take the agro. I fly around the golem and then I whistle the golem passive and start knocking it out. Lvl of the wyvern matters when knocking it out but I'm sure you know that. When it comes to rasing one hatch the highest egg you find. 1200 food lasts about 2 1/2 hours and each milk is about 1200 food. The milk only lasts 2 hrs 55mim with salt if you get it in the bin right away. I have noticed that the milk will spoil faster if the salt isn't kept up. 

Hi,

I'm actually also a single player attempting to raise a wyvern myself. 

What I've done so far:
1. tame the highest level male (mine was 130) and female argy (mine was 150) and mate them. This already should improve the offspring's stats.
2. I then imprinted the baby as much as I could (i got to imprint 54%) that wil boost at least it's health, and some other stats (mine increased speed with 10%).
3. And level it's speed to 200% (use Focal Chilly to increase speed even more for a short duration when you go egg hunting).
With this argy I got 2 wyvern eggs without much problems (tip: don't hesitate and fly your but off across the map to outrun the wyvern mob).

Before hatching one I plan to:
1. build a wyvern trap with remote keypad as described earlier
2. make sure I have preserving salts and a preserving bin on standby: this will increase the spoil time significantly (about 4x, but I'm not sure)
3. use my super speed argy to kite a wyvern in the trap as mentioned before, tranq it, get milk, feed the baby, rince and repeat till mature, I hope :) .

I do have reduced times for egg hatching and maturation on my single player. I haven't touched spoil timers.

Didn't read due to wall of text.  To easily solo milk AFTER you already have a wyvern, just carry a gas mask with you, get a female to chase you to a nest or to an area where no other wyverns are around.  If it's a female poison, put on your gas mask.  Dismount and hide close to your wyvern.  Tranq out the female, grab the milk and run.  Your wyvern will do all the tanking for you and should tank long enough for you to get the KO on the female.

If you don't already have a wyvern, I imagine you could use a super high HP argie but it would be a lot more difficult.  Instead try using a rock golem to tank while you tranq out a wyvern.  The trap method is nice, but a lot of things can go wrong.  Using a high HP dino to tank while you you tranq has always worked for me... just don't be surprised when other people try to milk the wyvern you knocked out and get upset when it is empty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Loads of stuff in this thread, one of the most important things that I have found to help when trapping wyverns is to always build your trap with its opening parrallel to the scar. So when your wyvern goes to flee or loses Aggro on you it will turn into the wall of your trap and not be successful at flying away.  That way you don't even need a gateway to keep them in place while your tranq them. 

Hi there,

I'd like to add that the procoptodon is a viable and comparably easy to come by option to tranq and milk wyverns, as no training in speed is necessary, but beneficial, has decent manuverability, as well as allows mounted weaponry. I haven't used these methodes for gathering milk, but for hunting wyverns in general, but these tactics are just as viable for that purpose.

Hit and run method

With their base speed procoptodons are not fast enough to outspeed wyverns, however by using continous jumps, they build up speed rather quickly. They have ridiculously low stamina drop to begin with, but due to them regenerating stamina mid jump, it is effectively unlimited. The open desert is optimal to jump boost to build distance and then get 1-3 shot of with a longneck, or 2-5 arrows with a compound bow while the latter might require some practice. Better be safe than sorry with lightning wyverns and skip the last shot.

Melee(?) method

Abusing the wyverns' horrible turn radius you don't even have to kite them. Using this method, you may want to avoid lightning wyverns altogether, unless you like your procoptodon (and yourself (and maybe your jerboa)) toasted by a deathray aimbot AI. Simply circle inside their turnradius and shoot them from you mount, until they drops. If you do spend points into movement speed, you can also just run after the wing pointing towards the middle of the turning circle and hit it with electric prods or clubs (requires high melee and maybe a decent club blueprint to be viable, but is the most economic option I can think of).

Most of the time you just need to avoid the first breath attack:

• Poison Wyvern shots are easily dodgeable by sprinting sideways, or just straight through them, as poison balls won't kill you instantly from my experience. You can also abuse their ballistic-ish aiming by changing directions after it fires, wait until it fires and then sprint past it or sprint sideways until it fires and just stop. The latter method can result in taking a bite.
  • Fire Wyverns, having a wonky breath hitbox, can often be dodged just by running straight at and then below the wyvern, giving you a chance for easy headshots or even a smack with an electric prod. You may want to avoid elevated ground, unless you spent some points into movement speed. However even if you take hit from the fire breath, from my experience the procoptodon appears to be somewhat resistant to fire damage, surviving several hits without dying (using a default 25 armor saddle).

This might not be as effective as some of the methods mentioned above, but to me it seems a bit more accessable than 200% speed argentavises, since the focus was on solo taming wyverns.

I hope that was helpful.

20 hours ago, SpellFoX said:

Hi there,

I'd like to add that the procoptodon is a viable and comparably easy to come by option to tranq and milk wyverns, as no training in speed is necessary, but beneficial, has decent manuverability, as well as allows mounted weaponry. I haven't used these methodes for gathering milk, but for hunting wyverns in general, but these tactics are just as viable for that purpose.

Hit and run method

With their base speed procoptodons are not fast enough to outspeed wyverns, however by using continous jumps, they build up speed rather quickly. They have ridiculously low stamina drop to begin with, but due to them regenerating stamina mid jump, it is effectively unlimited. The open desert is optimal to jump boost to build distance and then get 1-3 shot of with a longneck, or 2-5 arrows with a compound bow while the latter might require some practice. Better be safe than sorry with lightning wyverns and skip the last shot.

Melee(?) method

Abusing the wyverns' horrible turn radius you don't even have to kite them. Using this method, you may want to avoid lightning wyverns altogether, unless you like your procoptodon (and yourself (and maybe your jerboa)) toasted by a deathray aimbot AI. Simply circle inside their turnradius and shoot them from you mount, until they drops. If you do spend points into movement speed, you can also just run after the wing pointing towards the middle of the turning circle and hit it with electric prods or clubs (requires high melee and maybe a decent club blueprint to be viable, but is the most economic option I can think of).

Most of the time you just need to avoid the first breath attack:

• Poison Wyvern shots are easily dodgeable by sprinting sideways, or just straight through them, as poison balls won't kill you instantly from my experience. You can also abuse their ballistic-ish aiming by changing directions after it fires, wait until it fires and then sprint past it or sprint sideways until it fires and just stop. The latter method can result in taking a bite.
  • Fire Wyverns, having a wonky breath hitbox, can often be dodged just by running straight at and then below the wyvern, giving you a chance for easy headshots or even a smack with an electric prod. You may want to avoid elevated ground, unless you spent some points into movement speed. However even if you take hit from the fire breath, from my experience the procoptodon appears to be somewhat resistant to fire damage, surviving several hits without dying (using a default 25 armor saddle).

This might not be as effective as some of the methods mentioned above, but to me it seems a bit more accessable than 200% speed argentavises, since the focus was on solo taming wyverns.

I hope that was helpful.

You are an absolute madman. I love it. 

Never in a million years would I have tried kiting a milker with a kangaroo. That's just bonkers lol!

I agree with most of the ones here that suggest using a high speed Argie to lure the Wyvern into a trap. I went a little over the top with mine and made it from stone, but used a more elaborate design, just for aesthetics. Was basically a behemoth gate, with a series of pillars spaced half a tile apart, all the same height, with ceilings at the top. It was about 13 long and as wide as the gateframe. I put a windmill and lights at the top for nighttime trapping, and about 21 tiles away I build a shelter from Adobe with a preserving bin and salts for milk storage, and a grill for cooking the prime I get from killing it after milking, and a keypad. I didn't bother with the waiting an hour, as I didn't want to stay in the area for 5 days on official, and we did the actual raising across the map from the trap.

For the record, I wasn't completely solo. I had one other person in my tribe. The process though was soloable. We just made it easier by having one person standing ready to close the door with the keypad, just to save a couple seconds. 

As stated before, hatch higher level eggs, but trap low level females as they use less shots to tranq.

Of course, if you are as daring as I was, you could take out your first Wyvern like I did.... When one attacked my base and was killing everything, I shot its tail with a grapple hook and reeled myself up to it, which allowed me to whack away at it with a sword until it fled. It ignored my tames and focused on me, flying in circles trying to bite me but couldn't. You could substitute with tranqs if you prefer. Just have a parachute handy to save you when it decides to drop you.

Archived