Server was Wiped and my Opinion

KommanderKyle

On 12/21/2016 at 6:33 PM, KommanderKyle said:

They came in droves, for us at least, like 40 of them. It is not a fun PvP experience in my opinion. 

did they ddos the server when they attacked? i was on a server that as soon as they started attacking, server ping went up by 6 times or more. 3-400 ping on an official server that usually pings 50ish. these were just griefers but anytime they would get near you the lag was almost unplayable. i know i'm opening myself up to lots of "get good" "sure blame the lag" etc here but everyone in tribe was saying the same thing. i am playing on a very OP box that never lags any other time and i even dropped a bunch of gfx settings seeing if that was the issue (pvp creating more artifacts for the client to render or whatever), shut off sound, everything i could think of.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2016 at 7:27 PM, Jostabeere said:

Region locks for servers. So Chineses stay on their servers. And if they don't have any, they can play singleplayer. Racism here or there, that's an issue. üuldn't even be surprised if theres a "Buy ARK ressources and dinos" site for Asians somewhere.

Frankly it doesn't even have to be about racism at all. Region lock because lag. Allow some cross region servers for those with friends out of country though.

Thoughts

The meta of this game has shifted--or at least will shift soon--to Ark vs Ark, not tribe vs. tribe. Massive server invasions will be the standard method of attack and retaliation.

A few things though: this game has no time limit and no win condition. That means, by it's very nature, that is can't be fair for all or even the majority of the players (though, feeling obligated to let players who payed to have early access because they worked really hard is an absurd argument when they also say "we're not required to support this product because it's early access" -- super super ridiculous argument, so don't even try).

40 vs 8 isn't fair? Nope. Definitely not. But that's the game you're playing. 

I read in this thread that people were upset that tribes were using servers to farm and supply the attacking tribes ... uhm ... that is the game, lol. You use a base (server) to farm and supply for attacks (or defense). 

Cross Ark is awesome. I love it. And one day, our tribe will be one the receiving end of some of what we've dished out, surely it must end that way, I suppose. But that's the game! We're all shaping it together.

1 hour ago, TimeSpiral said:

Thoughts

The meta of this game has shifted--or at least will shift soon--to Ark vs Ark, not tribe vs. tribe. Massive server invasions will be the standard method of attack and retaliation.

A few things though: this game has no time limit and no win condition. That means, by it's very nature, that is can't be fair for all or even the majority of the players (though, feeling obligated to let players who payed to have early access because they worked really hard is an absurd argument when they also say "we're not required to support this product because it's early access" -- super super ridiculous argument, so don't even try).

40 vs 8 isn't fair? Nope. Definitely not. But that's the game you're playing. 

I read in this thread that people were upset that tribes were using servers to farm and supply the attacking tribes ... uhm ... that is the game, lol. You use a base (server) to farm and supply for attacks (or defense). 

Cross Ark is awesome. I love it. And one day, our tribe will be one the receiving end of some of what we've dished out, surely it must end that way, I suppose. But that's the game! We're all shaping it together.

Man the meta off the game is not going to shift to ark v ark it will always be tribe v tribe sure some servers will rally together in the hope they can defend there server but it really does come down to large tribe v large tribe as smaller tribes just dont stand a chance Ive played against tons off alliances and they always crumble there coordination is always terrible and the fact that there do not have a singular pool of resources to work from gives them a massive disadvantage.

I also think people get ark is not fair all there want is a level playing field they don't care tribe X has been breeding for 1 year and has some nice dinos now they care that tribe X has a ton off ascendant poop from fishing or The Center cave challenge that they cant get now they care that the quez anky glitch has been removed making resources so much harder to get they care that duping was rife and now any large alpha has stacks of crap they should not have. 

The meta has always been a numbers game thats all, now i get that this is a team based game thats one of its strengths imo but when it comes to the point that only 60 man + tribes stand a chance thats pretty dull. As cross ark continues I honestly think mega alpha tribes will just continue to grow because the only method of 'wining' the numbers game is to get more tribe mates and i don't think this improves ark.

The solution is pretty obvious limit tribe sizes and alliances. 

Cross Ark is awesome agreed only the number game is dull. 

On 30/12/2016 at 2:16 AM, usrevenge said:

Frankly it doesn't even have to be about racism at all. Region lock because lag. Allow some cross region servers for those with friends out of country though.

Doesn't really work for the AUS/NZ crowd.  If we got stuck with the ...... ah............ western pacific types we just wouldn't be able to play.  Because while we get doxxed for even whispering the C word on a forum (not that one, the other one) they have no qualms just trolling anyone who speaks english off of servers with zergs.

I need access to NA/EU to be a gamer, period.

Besides, one zerg is as bad as another.  We should deal with zergs and not apply the solution to regions.

So basically you all mean "Excuse me Mr Dev, we come across a tribe that was more powerful than us. Could you please delete their stuff or stop them coming here?"

Newsflash - new players, or even experienced solo players have to put up with this all the time from even moderately powerful tribes yet they don't complain. Just because your not top dog doesn't mean everybody else has to suffer from a server wipe.

On 12/21/2016 at 0:11 PM, KommanderKyle said:

I have played Ark now since the start, I have close to 4k hours and know the game pretty well, like most of all of you do. I have been the leader of an alpha tribe, jumped servers before transferring was a thing and I absolutely love the game. I love taming, Breeding, Pvp, Trading etc. One thing I am not a fan of is cross ark transfer. I like the idea if I get wiped I can transfer my character over and start over if I ever needed to but dinos, items etc. I do not like. 

I played on an official server, of course, and love the official setting. One super early morning last week when the population of the server I play on was asleep, they invaded. The Chinese came on, brought pteranodons of all the same color, ( I suspect Duped from a few weeks past, but can't point fingers without cause) Quetzals, a 250 Giga etc. They quickly tamed a titan and began rampaging on the server. They first hit a base that was a cube that every wall had a cat walk on it with turrets. Loaded is a good term for this base. They used Pacers and the titan to stomp the base. Game over. They took it as fast as they could. Proceeded to take on the alpha tribe at Volcano and soon enough, wiped them off and planted down at volcano. I knew once they through up the uber amount of turrets up there it was over. Soon enough they soon wiped everyone they could and the alpha and called it a day. After it was done we gathered what we could to jump ship, I jumped around on 9 different official servers, here is what I found; 7 of the 9 were Chinese owned and I was told I am not welcome to play. Then the other two servers had alphas that blocked the supply drops with a foundation and a vault, and "wouldn't" let players build above 50 latitude or they would be wiped. So we decided to stay and hide away on a ice berg, quickly being discovered and decimated. 

I do not mind if a tribe comes on, farms, levels, tames and then stands up and fights. That is part of the nature of the game. Transferring so many items and tames, using thousands of rockets to take everything, using dragons and more to take servers to wipe progress and leave just plain sucks. Our bases were rather defended and tanky but how can one compete with 40 members vs 8 in one tribe. 

I know there have been many many forum post about "Wipe Officials, Etc." My opinion, yeah they need to on release. If I just discovered the game and jumped in a server to soon lose progress to the invaders would not be fun. After jumping servers the other night and looking on the forums this is a problem. It does need to be addressed, I know as a member of the community I would love the Devs to at least give us a statement on the status of what their plan is. Even if their isnt one. I would love to return to officials and come back and rebuild. Though until something changes I guess I will leave the official life for now. 

Thank you for reading, I just wanted to post my opinion. I am not trying to get people upset, I am not looking for a Get good post. I simply wanted to state my opinion. 

Merry Christmas! :Jerblove:

Hey op. What server is that by any chance? And hopefully it is on Xbox. If so can you go on that server and tell them that server 813 said that there is no way they could take it over and that they are weak and don't stand a chance.

thatwould be awesome if you could do that.

3 hours ago, TheRedExemplar said:

So basically you all mean "Excuse me Mr Dev, we come across a tribe that was more powerful than us. Could you please delete their stuff or stop them coming here?"

Newsflash - new players, or even experienced solo players have to put up with this all the time from even moderately powerful tribes yet they don't complain. Just because your not top dog doesn't mean everybody else has to suffer from a server wipe.

Wow complain a bit more about having no one to play with 

This is becoming a real issue, I have been on 7 official servers after getting sick of non official servers being wiped so frequently because I wanted to make proper progress and enjoy the game but on all the official servers I have been on the alpha tribes vault drop all the supply drops and build bases at all the obi's so it's hard to make progress as the only way to get any items of quality is from caves and underwater drops but you need to be level 80 for those... the server I'm currently on has a Chinese alpha tribe they blocked off all the supply drops, obi's and cave entrances so there is no way to transfer off the server and I don't want to start all over as I've done that too many times... they also set server rules such as no taming quetz, gig as or turtles and if you do they will wipe you in my opinion the game's intended experience  is being ruined as I'm sure this is not what wildcard had in mind when hey made server transfers for Dinos and items a thing

I think they need to make it so the supply drop breaks any structure in its path when landing so at least they can't be blocked, I also think they should make obi's off limits for building so that people can come and go as they please and should introduce population caps for tribes to combat the huge mega tribes destroying everyone, keep in mind when you server transfer you keep the items that are on your character (well I have when I transferred) so blocking supply drops is pointless if it's for stopping alpha tribes as they can spawn in with rockets and just blow the foundation and spawn in their army.... the only people blocking supply drops hurts is the new people and smaller tribes trying to build up.... I really think we need to try and bring some attention to this issue as wildcard really needs to do something about this, they have worked way too hard and created a game that we all really enjoy but some people a ruining the experience... imagine just joining with a group of friends and you are building a base and exploring and enjoying what wildcats has created you spend hours and hours taming feeling great that your making progress and slowly growing... all is great until one day you log in and see that you have completely been wiped by an alpha tribe killing every single Dino you have and levelling your entire base.... I also think dinos set to passive should be immune to offline damage.... you can still be raided that's part of the game you lose your stuff but can at least recover if your doed and anky, argy are still alive... but what benefit is there for killing passive dinos If you have already looted everything, people only kill passives to grief others as there is no gain especially if you have already looted the base...

On 31/12/2016 at 11:02 PM, TheRedExemplar said:

That's not really the point of this forum topic... a server wipe will not fix anything... so I agree with you in regards to it not being necessary.... yet. but will need to be done when they do the official launch... the important changes to resolve this issue in my opinion is to stop blocking of supply drops and oblisks and introducing population caps on tribes, too many official servers are locked down and are being used as private servers for mega tribes

Yeah that's not cool. I was attacked by server jumpers trying to take out alphas. Hing was, i wasn't even the alpha. I managed to fight them off. THey killed all my non essential dinos, but both my Quetz were moved, my anky n doedics were also. They did get my beaver. Even those i had two other bases, its just too easy to hop and get back safety 

On 12/31/2016 at 9:07 AM, Volcano637 said:

Hey op. What server is that by any chance? And hopefully it is on Xbox. If so can you go on that server and tell them that server 813 said that there is no way they could take it over and that they are weak and don't stand a chance.

thatwould be awesome if you could do that.

It was an official pvp PC server. 

On 04/01/2017 at 8:16 AM, Gladiator88 said:

I think they need to make it so the supply drop breaks any structure in its path when landing so at least they can't be blocked, I also think they should make obi's off limits for building so that people can come and go as they please and should introduce population caps for tribes to combat the huge mega tribes destroying everyone, keep in mind when you server transfer you keep the items that are on your character (well I have when I transferred) so blocking supply drops is pointless if it's for stopping alpha tribes as they can spawn in with rockets and just blow the foundation and spawn in their army.... the only people blocking supply drops hurts is the new people and smaller tribes trying to build up.... I really think we need to try and bring some attention to this issue as wildcard really needs to do something about this, they have worked way too hard and created a game that we all really enjoy but some people a ruining the experience... imagine just joining with a group of friends and you are building a base and exploring and enjoying what wildcats has created you spend hours and hours taming feeling great that your making progress and slowly growing... all is great until one day you log in and see that you have completely been wiped by an alpha tribe killing every single Dino you have and levelling your entire base.... I also think dinos set to passive should be immune to offline damage.... you can still be raided that's part of the game you lose your stuff but can at least recover if your doed and anky, argy are still alive... but what benefit is there for killing passive dinos If you have already looted everything, people only kill passives to grief others as there is no gain especially if you have already looted the base...

(When the multi-server mega tribe wipes are balanced) I'd be ok if beacon drops destroy buildings underneath them, unless they randomize the above ground drops, which I prefer. If they do randomize the drops, I'd rather they have collision detection and sit on top of buildings if they happen to appear above someones base.

I kinda like the offline immune from damage for passive tames, but I can guarantee you will find everyone putting their good loot in dinos before logging off, thus raids will be not as productive...maybe that's a good thing, at least for starting players? maybe not for others, depends on your perspective?

1 hour ago, Mendoza said:

(When the multi-server mega tribe wipes are balanced) I'd be ok if beacon drops destroy buildings underneath them, unless they randomize the above ground drops, which I prefer. If they do randomize the drops, I'd rather they have collision detection and sit on top of buildings if they happen to appear above someones base.

I kinda like the offline immune from damage for passive tames, but I can guarantee you will find everyone putting their good loot in dinos before logging off, thus raids will be not as productive...maybe that's a good thing, at least for starting players? maybe not for others, depends on your perspective?

Offline immune for passive tames but give players the ability to check their inventory?

This and many similar stories sounds really bad. I am quite new to the game (ps4) but I was wondering how can they coordinate 40 person to enter a server? Our ps4 servers are always full, and the lowest count I have ever seen was around 40/70 in the early morning.

Anyway, yes I think the only correct design solution is to limit the transfers:

you can transfer your character freely but the items and dinos are limited: only x dinos and x items. Also, they could be transferred very slowly, so that you have to wait some days to recover items from an obelisk/supply drop. During those days, residents of the server can spot you and your new base and try to catch your supplies. Make sense?

On 1/5/2017 at 5:19 AM, ken81 said:

This and many similar stories sounds really bad. I am quite new to the game (ps4) but I was wondering how can they coordinate 40 person to enter a server? Our ps4 servers are always full, and the lowest count I have ever seen was around 40/70 in the early morning.

Anyway, yes I think the only correct design solution is to limit the transfers:

you can transfer your character freely but the items and dinos are limited: only x dinos and x items. Also, they could be transferred very slowly, so that you have to wait some days to recover items from an obelisk/supply drop. During those days, residents of the server can spot you and your new base and try to catch your supplies. Make sense?

Excellent point.  The busiest servers would be the most difficult to raid.  My server however is rarely over 30 players at one time making it an opportune target.  The Alphas of course know this and have blocked almost all the drops as well as the Obs.  We've never had a massive raid against our server making me wonder if these few open drops makes this whole blocking thing pointless, thoughts?

• 5 weeks later...

Region locking ark server transfers might be a good idea. This way the players from cultures that have strong national focus and drive would have to fight between each other instead of having this .. lets invade west type (my asumption) mentality. 

Other possible solution might be ping limits. After all poor pings likely affect all players on a server. 

Not allowing ppl who have bought the game to build up on any server by means of blocking drops and obi's is completely wrong...what gives these ppl the impression that they can dictate where ppl play....they have to accept that they may get wiped if they are not on their A game...it's what the game is about...imo they should be happy for the competition and welcome it! Afterall it gives them the chance to prove their alpha status 

Archived