PGM Issues

I GENERATED A MAP AND IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!! (XBOX NOT PC)

Too bad I cannot play it. I thought I would share my experience with you guys as I have been playing Ark since the beginning and have been waiting for this feature for quite some time. Honestly, Ark, amazing job at this new feature, I just wish it actually worked. Here are the issues, please help us get these bugs corrected so we can finally start playing Ark again:

Before I begin, take a look at this crazy map I generated! I mean, I was so excited to play this and host this as a dedicated server! 

2016-12-18_11-17-31_AM.jpg

It is too bad this is unplayable, in fact, I cannot even re-load the map even though it has already been generated. Here are the issues for anyone trying to achieve what I am trying to achieve (host a dedicated PGM) 

The Issues:

• It takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes to generate a single map, seriously, I have timed this. I was able to play 5 ranked matches of overwatch before generating a single map. Think of generating a PGM like playing primitive plus and multiply the time it takes to load primitive by 5 (minus the crashing) 
  • You may be able to generate a map but playing on it is near impossible. 
  • Even when the map is generated, you will take 20-40 minutes to load the map, keep in mind I have fiber optic speed at 80MB/s with the brand new Xbox One S. 
  • The game will most likely crash when it says (writing to cache) at the last second even if you have waited 30 minutes. 
  • I have tested this 26 times now, thinking, it was at all possible, it is not.
  • YOU CANNOT HOST A DEDICATED PGM AT THE MOMENT, LET ALONE PLAY ONE.
  • If you do get one hosted, good luck getting your players to join, it won't happen, I was in a party with 6 people trying to load my map and every one of them could not pass the generating terrain loading screen, a couple times people got it but it was very rare. 

Conclusion:

• This feature is amazing, however, at the current moment it should not even be in the game, you cannot play, load or enjoy this new feature at all, I spent 4 hours this Saturday waiting for maps to generate only to be unplayable. 
  • There is a reason you are not seeing any PGM's in the dedicated server discussions! Nobody can actually get one up and running. If you have one up and running please tell me and I will be amazed. 

What needs to be done on Ark's side:

• Stop promising us features that are half-baked, if you are a contractor, would you build a house and give it to the owner half complete? No. I would rather get this feature when it is fully functional then pissing off your loyal customers, getting them excited and then leaving them in the dirt. 
  • Fix the loading time! I get it, it takes a while to generate a map, that is fine, at least work on the time just a bit! 30 minutes to load or generate is out of the question. 
  • Actually, make the map playable. 
  • Let us know the limits of all of the options, I believe these settings can easily break the map, making it so it does not load. Let us know the max limits so it atleast works. 

What I need from you guys!

• Please let me know your experience with PGM's.
  • Voice your opinion in hopes that ARK sees this post and begins to work on these issues. 

Probably xbox issues.

On PC:

Load time under 5 minutes. After I generated the map it's normal time to join the map like the island or the center.

I've created a lot of maps now and I haven't crashed yet. Now i'm just waiting for some updates to happen. 

You're constantly telling that you can't play on the map and they need to make it 'playable' Can you rectify this?

Running one right now.  Been running for about 8 hrs.  Maxed out at 14 people.  Many people spawned in trees, punch till your torp knocks you out should get you out.  There are some people that cannot join but a hard restart helped a few of them.  Also I think it has to be the first thing you load after you start ARK.  Other words if you were on a different server first it may not let you get on a PGM map.

10 hours ago, AllThingsArk said:

I GENERATED A MAP AND IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!! (XBOX NOT PC)

Too bad I cannot play it. I thought I would share my experience with you guys as I have been playing Ark since the beginning and have been waiting for this feature for quite some time. Honestly, Ark, amazing job at this new feature, I just wish it actually worked. Here are the issues, please help us get these bugs corrected so we can finally start playing Ark again:

Before I begin, take a look at this crazy map I generated! I mean, I was so excited to play this and host this as a dedicated server! 

2016-12-18_11-17-31_AM.jpg

It is too bad this is unplayable, in fact, I cannot even re-load the map even though it has already been generated. Here are the issues for anyone trying to achieve what I am trying to achieve (host a dedicated PGM) 

The Issues:

• It takes anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes to generate a single map, seriously, I have timed this. I was able to play 5 ranked matches of overwatch before generating a single map. Think of generating a PGM like playing primitive plus and multiply the time it takes to load primitive by 5 (minus the crashing) 
  • You may be able to generate a map but playing on it is near impossible. 
  • Even when the map is generated, you will take 20-40 minutes to load the map, keep in mind I have fiber optic speed at 80MB/s with the brand new Xbox One S. 
  • The game will most likely crash when it says (writing to cache) at the last second even if you have waited 30 minutes. 
  • I have tested this 26 times now, thinking, it was at all possible, it is not.
  • YOU CANNOT HOST A DEDICATED PGM AT THE MOMENT, LET ALONE PLAY ONE.
  • If you do get one hosted, good luck getting your players to join, it won't happen, I was in a party with 6 people trying to load my map and every one of them could not pass the generating terrain loading screen, a couple times people got it but it was very rare. 

Conclusion:

• This feature is amazing, however, at the current moment it should not even be in the game, you cannot play, load or enjoy this new feature at all, I spent 4 hours this Saturday waiting for maps to generate only to be unplayable. 
  • There is a reason you are not seeing any PGM's in the dedicated server discussions! Nobody can actually get one up and running. If you have one up and running please tell me and I will be amazed. 

What needs to be done on Ark's side:

• Stop promising us features that are half-baked, if you are a contractor, would you build a house and give it to the owner half complete? No. I would rather get this feature when it is fully functional then pissing off your loyal customers, getting them excited and then leaving them in the dirt. 
  • Fix the loading time! I get it, it takes a while to generate a map, that is fine, at least work on the time just a bit! 30 minutes to load or generate is out of the question. 
  • Actually, make the map playable. 
  • Let us know the limits of all of the options, I believe these settings can easily break the map, making it so it does not load. Let us know the max limits so it atleast works. 

What I need from you guys!

• Please let me know your experience with PGM's.
  • Voice your opinion in hopes that ARK sees this post and begins to work on these issues. 

When i created my map i did randomized stats. I evened out all the huge decimals to round numbers. Started in single player and saved it. Took 2 tries to get it loaded and took the 10 players on currently 2-8 tries to get in. But we are up and running a pgm extinction. GT ArkServer661

• 2 weeks later...

Little late to the party but as far as not being able to load a PGM on xbox, uninstall Ark, reinstall(with Scorch if applicable) and it should work. I was having a problem where I could create a PGM Ark but when I'd go load it as a Dedicated I'd keep dashboarding. Is currently running! 

Downside. Graphics took a hit with PGM :(

What we need here is two (or 3) separate subforms.  Xbox PGArk & PC PGArk.  Many of the crash reports are from XBOX users.

There needs to be much more info of the individual settings that go in to generating a PGArk.  You should not be able to generate an unplayable world.  This needs addressing ASAP.

FWIW for me at least the PC version of the game has none of these issues, only errors in generation due to the lack of setup information.

• 4 weeks later...

Still not playable, people should just stop playing ark, you can add all the items and dinos in the world but we have been playing the island and the center (bugged) since the game released, we need variety in maps or watch the fanbase go down the drain. Do us a favor and suprise us with a random expansion. Winter wonderland? Space map for tek tier? Extreme jungle map? Do something please!!!!!

18 hours ago, ArkOverwatch said:

Still not playable, people should just stop playing ark, you can add all the items and dinos in the world but we have been playing the island and the center (bugged) since the game released, we need variety in maps or watch the fanbase go down the drain. Do us a favor and suprise us with a random expansion. Winter wonderland? Space map for tek tier? Extreme jungle map? Do something please!!!!!

You are literally posting in the PGM section saying we need more variety in maps. I'm playing on PGM and it's fine. Working as intended. 

1 hour ago, natures said:

You are literally posting in the PGM section saying we need more variety in maps. I'm playing on PGM and it's fine. Working as intended. 

So working as intended means long load times, disconnects, and players forced to use these crap maps on extinction servers? I fail to see the logic. Most of the posts here have been about disappointment, not applause. Yet not one word from wildcard, and not an update to this amazing "feature" in months.B|

Guest BubbaCrawfish

I'm still using PGM... I don't find any issues with disconnects, the only thing that needs to happen is the old reconnect when connecting if from a cluster.

On 02/02/2017 at 0:27 PM, Redkiller said:

So working as intended means long load times, disconnects, and players forced to use these crap maps on extinction servers? I fail to see the logic. Most of the posts here have been about disappointment, not applause. Yet not one word from wildcard, and not an update to this amazing "feature" in months.B|

Yeah, I'm enjoying it. The map I am on is amazing, and the rates make my experience much better which is why I prefer it to official. The only thing that seems broken is the Extinction timer. 

On 2/8/2017 at 8:47 PM, natures said:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it. The map I am on is amazing, and the rates make my experience much better which is why I prefer it to official. The only thing that seems broken is the Extinction timer. 

Well I'm happy for you, but I have my own issues with these overstatements from wildcard. Funny how there is not one reply from the devs, on any their multiple forums they run....

"Yeah rifles are made of thatch.... Yeah thatch!" - K.H.

• 1 month later...

i tried PGM once, loaded fast-ish even with all my mods. however the ground was so rippled that running was not an option, and the redwoods became a maze to get around as alot of the trees were so close together a jerboa couldn't squeeze through lol. when i exited to main menu, i couldn't delete my PGM, i had to get into the shootergame folder, find it and delete it manually instead.

Archived