Random Mutations Color or Stat based?

Sapphira

4 hours ago, Scotty8319 said:

The next breeding pass will make it so inbreeding can also cause defects to show up. However, inbreeding in real life (usually called line breeding) is not always a bad thing. There are many cases where line breeding animals IS beneficial when done correctly, so I would assume the same could be said for Ark even after the next breeding pass. The potential benefits may outweigh the risks for some breeders - while others may choose to steer clear of inbreeding at all costs. To each their own.

You can get mutations in both stats and colour with inbreeding as well as with unrelated breeders. I've had mutations show up in a baby from 2 wild caught adults, as well as multi-generation heavily inbred lines. Just depends on what you as a breeder are willing to try.

Thank you very much for that information just came back to ark and im a big fan of breeding.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:49 PM, SapphiraTigress said:

Oh wow that's insane!! I play on Xbox so I'm wondering if we will get color mutations as blunt as this! That would be awesome :D We just got the update and I've got some ptera eggs ready. I'm pumped.

I'm on xbox on my last server I have a black and green Ptera really dark black and almost and emeralds green! it looked so awesome. I named it green lantern

There are a few people I've seen here and there with bear mutation. I've heard of someone having a blue bear mutation. I think I've seen pictures of a yellow bear too. I think that would be amazing. Me personally, I would LOVE to see someone else post a Spino mutation. I'm looking, but it seems as if they are more rare than anything else. Even gigas seem to get them more often. I'll hopefully be doing a spino raise soon so we'll see what we get. 

On 1/17/2017 at 9:50 PM, WarlordAlye said:

My red on red ptera mother and father. Took me 2 weeks to merge a red wing female with a red body male and then another 2 weeks to get a female version. Male (with saddle) is 287 and female is 299. Working on a male 299

redptera.jpg

This is exactly the color combo that I a have been trying for months!!! Great job! If you were on Xbox I would trade anything for this! I am at 290 on my birds with decent stats but these red/black are the color goal. Just gave me more motivation to keep at it. 

To answer the title, both.

If i wanted to show off any mutations, i wouldn't have much. Just two different Thorny Dragons with different shades of green on their backs and mild stat mutations. The male says it only has 1 from the F, but it got the color and 2 extra points in Melee. The most recent hatched F has 2 listed, and has a darker shade of green than the male, while instead of melee got 2 extra points in HP.

On 2/4/2017 at 0:07 AM, Solyth said:

This is exactly the color combo that I a have been trying for months!!! Great job! If you were on Xbox I would trade anything for this! I am at 290 on my birds with decent stats but these red/black are the color goal. Just gave me more motivation to keep at it. 

Do you use the fences for mating them so they don't move?

On 02/02/2017 at 6:33 PM, Scotty8319 said:

Also, some people may find this interesting if they haven't done a lot of breeding yet - but the 0/20 mutations that show on each parent's side CAN in fact be surpassed by an incredible amount of mutations - at least for now, this may be fine tuned in the next breeding pass.

As I've seen a similar screenshot before I have come up with a theory. I think that the 20 might stand for unique mutations and that the same mutation appearing all over the family tree, while visible, doesn't actually count towards the possible 20/20 cap. I don't know if I'm right, so I'm slowly trying to figure it out (I bet they'll rework the breeding mechanics before I've come to any conclusion). :P

On 02/02/2017 at 7:50 PM, Sapphira said:

There are a few people I've seen here and there with bear mutation. I've heard of someone having a blue bear mutation. I think I've seen pictures of a yellow bear too. I think that would be amazing. Me personally, I would LOVE to see someone else post a Spino mutation. I'm looking, but it seems as if they are more rare than anything else. Even gigas seem to get them more often. I'll hopefully be doing a spino raise soon so we'll see what we get. 

These are my current direbear mutations. The baby bear next to red bear in top photo is olive green. Very interesting color. The bottom bear is currently the color reds I am breeding for trade.

tmp_8053-1486668005283-1125x1125-985291017.jpg

On 2/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, BronzeCJ said:

On Xbox they my babies lol

Your kidding me...I might have to trade you eggs lol. 

On 2/9/2017 at 2:24 PM, StoneyDiagram2008 said:

These are my current direbear mutations. The baby bear next to red bear in top photo is olive green. Very interesting color. The bottom bear is currently the color reds I am breeding for trade.

tmp_8053-1486668005283-1125x1125-985291017.jpg

That red bear is the prettiest color mutation on a bear I've seen yet. I really like the dark red color angle on the top picture. 

Archived