UI Discussion: Dino Inventory & Overlay, Engram Page, Player HUD, + Multi Wheel

Jatheish

On 17/12/2016 at 9:05 AM, thedogowl said:

A simple text/icon size scaling method would be a good start, just saw someone say they're playing on a big TV and find the text too small, I also play on a big TV but would say I have the opposite problem, so probably a way to enable people to customise it, even just to a certain degree would probably solve a lot of size related issues!

Totally agree with this

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/17/2016 at 1:05 AM, thedogowl said:

A simple text/icon size scaling method would be a good start, just saw someone say they're playing on a big TV and find the text too small, I also play on a big TV but would say I have the opposite problem, so probably a way to enable people to customise it, even just to a certain degree would probably solve a lot of size related issues!

I don't know enough about this game engine, but doing text resizing in some game engines on the fly is very difficult to do and make it work well.  Doing layout in applications is an expensive thing to do CPU/GPU/etc wise depending on the UI.  Would like to see text resizing, just letting you know that it's hard to do and make right in a game that fits into specific resolutions and on all the systems it runs on.

This may be a little late to the party as it also has to do with inventory of both dinos and storage but...

would like to set search/listing options as default: such as I always want this particular dino/box to always sort Metal first - similar to the folder system that is already in place, the problem with the folder system is you cant set that as the new default, so you have to manually move items into that folder every time....not helpful at all when you are constantly moving things in and out of storage.

would love the Ability to sort by Quality of items and then set it as my default sorting mechanism for that box/animal, so I can have a vault that starts off at Ascendant items and moves down the quality list, another variant option would be to list by quality and similar type (i.e. a full set of mastercraft fur armor would group together)

5 hours ago, LordWolfBreeder said:

This may be a little late to the party as it also has to do with inventory of both dinos and storage but...

would like to set search/listing options as default: such as I always want this particular dino/box to always sort Metal first - similar to the folder system that is already in place, the problem with the folder system is you cant set that as the new default, so you have to manually move items into that folder every time....not helpful at all when you are constantly moving things in and out of storage.

would love the Ability to sort by Quality of items and then set it as my default sorting mechanism for that box/animal, so I can have a vault that starts off at Ascendant items and moves down the quality list, another variant option would be to list by quality and similar type (i.e. a full set of mastercraft fur armor would group together)

This is also a very good idea.

13 hours ago, mleii said:

I don't know enough about this game engine, but doing text resizing in some game engines on the fly is very difficult to do and make it work well.  Doing layout in applications is an expensive thing to do CPU/GPU/etc wise depending on the UI.  Would like to see text resizing, just letting you know that it's hard to do and make right in a game that fits into specific resolutions and on all the systems it runs on.

Thanks for the info!

13 hours ago, LordWolfBreeder said:

Yeah something along these lines would be good! When the loot starts to pile up and you want to find the best version of something for a specific task it starts to take like 30 secs per item to find! Maybe we should also have a clear out...

I think that on PC one of the biggest things is easily the settings menu. Because:

• It is very difficult to rebind keys to something like mouse buttons or macros when everything is on one page.
  • A lot of the names of graphical options are unfamiliar. Aside from shading, lightshafts, clutter, etc a lot of them arent very clear, and so optomising settings is difficult without a lot of fiddling. A big QOL thing here would also be to have "ratings" for the settings. For each setting there would be a score out of 5 for resource taxation and a score out of 5 for graphical improvement. This system in used in Depth, for reference.

***more to come later***

I believe these were already mentioned, but in case not: 

1. When you collect resources or put items in your inventory, they should show up on top where you need them, not at the bottom (just like recently learned engrams show up on top)

2. When playing split screen on Xbox both players cannot transfer items at the same time without issues.

Would like one if the hot keys to work on the mount you're riding, for example if I had berries or meat in LB + Y  and used it when riding a tame, it would consume the food instead of my player.  Or just make a button that forces the dino to eat what it would without your interference. Just bypass the food meter do you can heal on the fly

51 minutes ago, TimeSpiral said:

I've put together a massive article addressing this issue. I spent hours putting this together and would love it if all of you checked it out. 

I believe I've come up with a control schematic that requires minimal changes to the existing UI while dramatically enhancing its effectiveness. 

The whole thread quoted by @TimeSpiral should receive a closer look from the devs!

On 1/10/2017 at 3:12 PM, Marksman00048 said:

Would like one if the hot keys to work on the mount you're riding, for example if I had berries or meat in LB + Y  and used it when riding a tame, it would consume the food instead of my player.  Or just make a button that forces the dino to eat what it would without your interference. Just bypass the food meter do you can heal on the fly

this 100% maybe adding an extra button to the hot bar just for force feeding the dino you are riding , i know this could be considered op but what a great qol improvement this would be 

1.Any Dino that is following you should have an icon of its face with a distance number by it, this icon will rotate like objectives points do in fps games.

the icon will flash in colors depending if the following Dino is combat or not.

2.also add a face icon for any Dino on your shoulder next to your icons

3.also can we please name gear, we try to tag our stuff with colors. But it be nice to st type my name on my items

4.please add sound to stuff we do in our menus,. Like clicked of meat does a squishy sound, you know like what this stuff really sounds like. 

5.show total life span of our Dino's like say my Carno shows that's he's been with with tribe red for 27 days and then with us for 7 days so far.   We like to see how long some Dino's have been with us.

After reading through this thread with all the great ideas from survivors, I started a list of things I agreed with and added some of my own "wish list" items. I numbered them for future reference - not as a ranking of preference.

For the XBOX...

1. Separate the "Whistle All" from the "Whistle One" on the radial wheel.

2. Tech tree layout for engrams with ability to learn all preceding engrams in a particular tree branch without having to back out of the selected engram

3. Tabbed pages on the inventory interface. (A graphic posted earlier in this thread looks amazing.)

4. Ability to highlight items in inventory before taking an action, allowing survivors to drop or move specifically-selected stacks and item.

5. Ability to lock items in inventory before taking an action, allowing survivors to protect things (like ammo) before dropping or moving all. Perhaps a "protected folder" would serve a similar purpose.

6. Fill stacks in first before starting a new slot. This applies to all inventories (personal, dino, crafting, storage, etc.).

7. See your own weight while in dino and crafting inventory

8. Move the "move all" and "drop all" button closer to the default top-left position inside the inventory. This would eliminated the need to scroll through lines of inventory to simply dump it all.

9. Tabs/filters in the Tribe Manager kill feed system to allow screening out of the alerts of tribe-demolished structures.

10. Radial wheel tribe rankings could operate like the "eat lots of food" mechanic. In other words, highlighting and holding over the "Rank up" or "Rank down" position would begin moving faster through the numbers the longer you hold it in position.

11. Different button to open doors and dismount.

12. Reduce "screen spam" when harvesting and killing. Or move these alerts to a different position on the screen (ie: sidebar or bottom).

13. Ability to see dino base stats before leveling.

14. Ability to see the tame levels spent.

15. Ability to carry torch in offhand.

16. Ability to harvest berries with offhand.

17. Ability to hide/unhide toggle the HP of structures

18. Removal or repositioning of the white letters "Hold for options" that covers all floating green words and sign texts.

19. Rework the spyglass. (Or introduce an advanced item - like binoculars - that give better control and variable zoom.)

20. Provide a separate button to "move all" of a stack - rather than holding in the A button. Perhaps utilization of the RB in inventory - so...  A=single item move and A+RB=entire stack move.

21. Freeing the cursor in the inventory

What I like:

1. Filters! Navigating would be nearly impossible without these. Thank you!

2. Shortcuts to drop items and separate stacks in half. 

5 minutes ago, GritlandYankee said:

After reading through this thread with all the great ideas from survivors, I started a list of things I agreed with and added some of my own "wish list" items. I numbered them for future reference - not as a ranking of preference.

For the XBOX...

1. Separate the "Whistle All" from the "Whistle One" on the radial wheel.

2. Tech tree layout for engrams with ability to learn all preceding engrams in a particular tree branch without having to back out of the selected engram

3. Tabbed pages on the inventory interface. (A graphic posted earlier in this thread looks amazing.)

4. Ability to highlight items in inventory before taking an action, allowing survivors to drop or move specifically-selected stacks and item.

5. Ability to lock items in inventory before taking an action, allowing survivors to protect things (like ammo) before dropping or moving all. Perhaps a "protected folder" would serve a similar purpose.

6. Fill stacks in first before starting a new slot. This applies to all inventories (personal, dino, crafting, storage, etc.).

7. See your own weight while in dino and crafting inventory

8. Move the "move all" and "drop all" button closer to the default top-left position inside the inventory. This would eliminated the need to scroll through lines of inventory to simply dump it all.

9. Tabs/filters in the Tribe Manager kill feed system to allow screening out of the alerts of tribe-demolished structures.

10. Radial wheel tribe rankings could operate like the "eat lots of food" mechanic. In other words, highlighting and holding over the "Rank up" or "Rank down" position would begin moving faster through the numbers the longer you hold it in position.

11. Different button to open doors and dismount.

12. Reduce "screen spam" when harvesting and killing. Or move these alerts to a different position on the screen (ie: sidebar or bottom).

13. Ability to see dino base stats before leveling.

14. Ability to see the tame levels spent.

15. Ability to carry torch in offhand.

16. Ability to harvest berries with offhand.

17. Ability to hide/unhide toggle the HP of structures

18. Removal or repositioning of the white letters "Hold for options" that covers all floating green words and sign texts.

19. Rework the spyglass. (Or introduce an advanced item - like binoculars - that give better control and variable zoom.)

20. Provide a separate button to "move all" of a stack - rather than holding in the A button. Perhaps utilization of the RB in inventory - so...  A=single item move and A+RB=entire stack move.

What I like:

1. Filters! Navigating would be nearly impossible without these. Thank you!

2. Shortcuts to drop items and separate stacks in half. 

You forgot freeing up the cursor in the inventory for console!

Ask yourself this ... 

• Would you like to Transfer All of Type? (e.g., transfer all raw meat)
  • Would you like to Drop All of Type? (e.g., drop all crystal)
  •  Would you like a negative filter? (e.g., show me everything except "raw meat")
  • Would you like "Drop All" to come with these options: (1) drop as bags / (2) create item cache / (3) cancel
  • Do you play console? Would you like for the number of clicks needed to do most things to be reduced?
  • Would you like to see exactly how we can implement these new features?

If you answered yes to any of these, please, I encourage you to read this thread that I worked very hard on: 

We actually need some of these features. Please take a look; like, comment, share, and show your support here in this thread so the Devs see that we want and need these features.  

On 17/12/2016 at 10:26 AM, Neizan said:

hello, one question. Can you add folders in "Engrams" to sort all engrams? This is a idea of engrams by folders and subfolders made fast with Paint:

XjX6Mpr.jpg

Edit:  If game detect mods, add the "Mods" folder automatically. Inside the "Mods" Folder add folders with the Mods names automatically (that modders can edit with subfolders).

Does the text chat fall under "player HUD"?  Because it could use a lot of improvements, at least on the PC.

It feels like text chat is a victim of catering to console UIs rather than PC, but it would be really nice to have a proper, customizable text chat UI that you can resize, reposition, filter, have multiple tabs, etc.  The way that MMOs tend to have.  I play on a roleplaying server and do not use voice chat, and that tiny text chat box with the giant text in it makes it very hard to follow when the messages get busy.  Even more so since radio messages pile into the same window. 

On a similar note, it'd be nice to be able to more easily speak on different radio channels, selecting a single one to send messages on but being able to listen to multiple channels at once.  Being able to put different channels on different chat tabs, and so on

Archived