Server help from an ISP employee :)

Hey guys!!  

I am your friendly neighborhood server administrator at (insert hated ISP here). So there is a lot of people out there struggling with server stability.  This actually takes very little technical knowledge and set up.  If anyone needs help please try to have the following information available...

1. Modem / Router model and ISP / upload / download speeds

2. Xbox already assigned a local static IP and placed into the DMZ (don't try port forwarding)

If you have these settings already I'd be happy to try and help you figure out whats going on.  Usually its a simple router setting that I see daily!  If you'd rather just play on my awesome and extremely stable server... add "admin vgsx" on line and I will shoot you an add tonight!  For now, I'm at work answering any questions you may have :)

I have my server running for 48 hours. So far no issues. I have you in my friends list already. Let us exchange some experiences as we go. Currently I am thinking how to protect the data better. As far as I know Game Saves are uploaded to the Xbox Cloud, but only upon exiting the game. How do you handle this? I was also thinking to add a RAID1 storage to the xbox and move the game over. It's not a substitute for a backup, but will prevent a loss of data in the event of a single HDD failure. I will try this USB3 enclosure next week http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Z2T0GE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

On 8. jan. 2016 at 10:40 PM, BigOrangeBalls7 said:

Hey guys!!  

I am your friendly neighborhood server administrator at (insert hated ISP here). So there is a lot of people out there struggling with server stability.  This actually takes very little technical knowledge and set up.  If anyone needs help please try to have the following information available...

1. Modem / Router model and ISP / upload / download speeds

2. Xbox already assigned a local static IP and placed into the DMZ (don't try port forwarding)

If you have these settings already I'd be happy to try and help you figure out whats going on.  Usually its a simple router setting that I see daily!  If you'd rather just play on my awesome and extremely stable server... add "admin vgsx" on line and I will shoot you an add tonight!  For now, I'm at work answering any questions you may have :)

Hello sir i am running my own xbox dedicated server my self. When you go to the admin manager a fan window with options shows up on the left side of the screen. It looks to me you can use that window to change settings such as turning on crosshair on/off etc etc etc without having to shut the server down each time u wanna change something. But for some reason i can't Enter that window. The only thing i can do is Ban/unban people and type in message of the day. Any tips on how to switch to the advance admin settings, so that i May change server rules without having to shut down server to change stuff... Thx in advance

13 minutes ago, Kubel83 said:

Hello sir i am running my own xbox dedicated server my self. When you go to the admin manager a fan window with options shows up on the left side of the screen. It looks to me you can use that window to change settings such as turning on crosshair on/off etc etc etc without having to shut the server down each time u wanna change something. But for some reason i can't Enter that window. The only thing i can do is Ban/unban people and type in message of the day. Any tips on how to switch to the advance admin settings, so that i May change server rules without having to shut down server to change stuff... Thx in advance

Il second this. I want to change settings and update server but am worried the players will lose their progress if I shut it down. Any help would be much appreciated! 

6 minutes ago, SPLINTER said:

I've had my server running now for just over a week you can shut it down without loosing any data I do it two times a day for back up! I've also changed setting to give me (admin) a chance to gain resources to help out fellow members of my ark. So all good there.

This is all I needed. Much appreciated. Legend!

On January 8, 2016 at 4:29 PM, BigOrangeBalls7 said:

yeah but thats more for a PC type of set-up.  I dont even know that you could RAID that... how would you partition it?  I think eventually they will come out with a platform that allows us to use an actual server to host on... so I dont think this will be the permanent solution.

The enclosure has a cheap BIOS raid or something like that build in. You set the RAID level using dip switches. To the host it looks like a simple USB drive, and is not aware of what kind of raid this thing does. I normally wouldn't consider using SSDs in a USB enclosure, but I got a couple of spares lying around. I will test it this weekend on my regular xbox. 

7 hours ago, SPLINTER said:

I've had my server running now for just over a week you can shut it down without loosing any data I do it two times a day for back up! I've also changed setting to give me (admin) a chance to gain resources to help out fellow members of my ark. So all good there

How exactly did you do that? I still have so much to learn :-D

1 hour ago, FatalShotgun13 said:

my brother has another Xbox hosting a dedicated server. However our friends along with myself and brother cannot find the server while searching for it under pvp/pve. Could there be an issue on our side or is this an ARK issue that they are already aware of?

thank you

Ark issue. They are very aware of it and the good news is they are working on a patch for it! :)

Archived