Best way to get a Dung Beetle?

TheGamerWife

I would like some suggestions as to the best place to get a dung beetle. I am currently playing on The Island and my base is closest to the south-east cave. Do Dung Beetles spawn in every cave? I am a little worried about being able to get one out safely if i were to tame it in the south-east cave. Would it be easier to just make the trip to the lower south cave? Please leave some suggestions.

The cave is actually west of Stonehenge and its entrance is in a massive trench. Follow a Bronto around till it drops large feces and after you have about 5-7 feces go tame a couple beetles. Be sure and bring a sleeping bag incase you get wrecked. Once tamed, simply pick it up and carry it out while any other tamed follow you. Good luck

Lower south is where I get most of mine. It helps to have a flier with a quick getaway at the entrance, but stock up on poop (the larger the better!) 

Once tamed, you can carry them, but just walk slowly, and always keep an ear out for more enemies. Most animals in the cave have very telltale signs of their approach. 

You need to specify whether you are playing single player or on a server. If you are playing single player then the south cave by the "stone henge" island is good - you have to go all the way in past the water where the artifact is. That's where some spawns will actually be and usually one of them is a dung beetle.

The easiest way is to transfer to scorched earth with a flyer and then go grab a beetle in the desert and transfer it back to The Island.

48 minutes ago, Mctoozle said:

You need to specify whether you are playing single player or on a server. If you are playing single player then the south cave by the "stone henge" island is good - you have to go all the way in past the water where the artifact is. That's where some spawns will actually be and usually one of them is a dung beetle.

The easiest way is to transfer to scorched earth with a flyer and then go grab a beetle in the desert and transfer it back to The Island.

I agree, SE is about the easiest place to get one. You can grapple one and then move it to a safer location to tame or tame it right in the desert if you like the excitement :D

I play solo so I need the easiest place to get dung beetles.  That's the south central cave for me.  Luckily it is also near my base.  Here's what I bring ...

*  metal armor - yes ghuille is better but i cant afford the engrams

* 2 xbows + 200-ish arrows

* 2 pikes

* 4 water jugs (not waterskins, they leak too fast)

* approx 50 meats (overkill)

* 1 sleeping bag

* 1 argent

First off, you'll want to set up a compost bin (or two) filled with as large a size a poop as you can gather.  You do not want to be running round scavenging for poop mid-tame.

You really gotta trust the server you are on or just hope that no one messes with your agent and/or sleeping bag while you're in there.  First, clear out the area to the SC cave entrance of any stray wild dinos.  There is a large rock where I park my bird on passive.  The rock is high enough so it won't get hit by errant dilos and such.  I place my sleeping bag right next to the rock.  Now just go in there and rambo it!  I typically use the xbow when I can often having to backtrack long distances to kill off hoards.  With the spiders, you can also easily do the dilo-circling-tactic to get them.  Really get a sense for the reach of your pike - I notice a lot of beginners don't get that it hits pretty far away and you don't have to be too close.  If you are lucky, you might run into a beetle before you get tot he bottom.  But normally it takes killing all the way to the bottom before you spot a couple beetles.  This is important ... KITE THE WILD BEETLES TO THE SURFACE.  Their pathfinding as a tame is piss poor and you will be down there forever trying to coax them out.  Once on the surface, whistle follow-all and hop onto your argent.  Grab the little sucker and take him to a safe place to tame.

As a side note, if you manage to clear the cave, beetles will start spawning out of the woodwork it seems.  Keep this in mind as you are kiting away.

Last thing - there is a bug with beetles that are carried our accidentally hit prior to the passive tame where the beetle will not get off aggro.  Even the music will stop but it will continue to be aggro and not allow you to feed it.  It may even come off aggro for a few minutes, allow you to let in a poop, then aggro all of a sudden.  If you come across this, tranq the beetle and knock it out.  Go far away enough from render zone and let the beetle wake back up.  It should "reset" and passive taming should proceed normally.

Happy arking!

[edit]  almost forgot - bring stimulants if u got them!!  you WILL get poisoned and stimulants will be very valuable.  I normally bring 20 or so but hardly use half.

Surprised this got skipped:

1. Get a pile of feces, preferably Large, but a collection of mediums is fine.
  2. Get 2-3 bug repellent made
  3. Go to lower south cave
  4. Apply bug repellent and walk inside
  5. Tame the first dung beetle you meet.

*Almost nothing* will attack you in this cave with the bug repellent on, make sure to bring a pike for the odd titanboa, and make sure you don't step on any other bugs and it's a walk in the park.

Few tips:

1. If you do have to fight a boa, first backpedal a bit and make sure you have some free space to swing the pike... randomly hitting another bug could get you swarmed.
  2. For solo taming, I like to bring a raft to the nearby river, loaded up with spare equipment, repellents, feces, etc. Then I tame 2-3 at a time and sail them all home at once. 
  3. If you have a tribe-mate and a pteranodon, have one person enter the cave to do the taming and and the other can fly the dung beetles home as they are tamed, and fetch more supplies. Can quickly get 3-4 dung beetles this way with all the safety of air travel.

Archived