Evolution Event: Permanent Double Rates

Jatheish

56 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

Can only scale to your tribe tho,  again,  you are thinking small instead of big picture.  There are caps and limits to buildings and tames. Small tribes don't encounter these so they are directly and always benefited by this, a tribe that already has breeding stock or tame limit in place will need this much less, so, be impacted less. Big tribes already have resource harvest down as well.. so like I said before,  a big tribe that always plays and squashes everyone is not something to balance around.  Much like they didn't balance around the giga, but instead nerfed it down,  they are buffing things so smaller tribes can grow quickly. Besides, you don't know what small tribes that, due to quicker gains, enjoy and stick around longer will eventually merge and form their own bigger tribe. This move benefits everyone,  but again,  large tribes would already have the benefit of man power and supplies for this buff to really make them any more op, so consequently your argument holds very little weight.

That's not what I am seeing in practice. Currently on one server the Alpha has grinded something in the order of 5,000 boulders due to the two weeks of x2 as they haven't needed to build anything else since due to x2 now they are just reconfiguring their base for fun. When there is nothing left to do, you might as well stockpile for wiping and start pushing breeding to the limits.

My biggest issue, as I said is not the x2 harvesting however. Its the x2 XP and Taming which has made levels 1-60 completely irrelevant, and the fact that high end tames are now ridiculously simple to get. Im not worried about the egg tames, its more looking at things such as Gigas which the challenge is already gone for Alphas generally beyond the actual making of the kibble (due to people often times being lazy). Now the only challenge is knocking it out. For every Giga they/we used to be able to tame, now they can have two. And this again scales disproportionately. There is virtually no downside to now just going with having 150 Gigas functioning in your role of Rex's. They are cheap to get, and there is no way someone is breeding a better rex than you can have with any 130+ Giga. (unless you get an absurd stat distribution like everything, literally everything in Oxygen).

But that's getting off track as I already think the Giga is a bit too OP and not really an "end game" tame as it seemingly was intended to be. x2 just makes it even less so.

1 hour ago, Vonpritz said:

My biggest issue, as I said is not the x2 harvesting however. Its the x2 XP and Taming which has made levels 1-60 completely irrelevant, and the fact that high end tames are now ridiculously simple to get. Im not worried about the egg tames, its more looking at things such as Gigas which the challenge is already gone for Alphas generally beyond the actual making of the kibble (due to people often times being lazy). Now the only challenge is knocking it out. For every Giga they/we used to be able to tame, now they can have two. And this again scales disproportionately. There is virtually no downside to now just going with having 150 Gigas functioning in your role of Rex's. They are cheap to get, and there is no way someone is breeding a better rex than you can have with any 130+ Giga. (unless you get an absurd stat distribution like everything, literally everything in Oxygen).

The above paragraph is really two topics, 2X XP and taming, but I'll just discuss the XP and leveling.

Any game is hard to "balance" for all the different modes of play. For instance it is pretty irrelevant how fast anyone levels when you are playing PVE. Certainly you want a challenge, but how fast you level is just one of hundreds of things that make the game challenging.

Now for PVP, if you are trying to reduce the speed that members of an Alpha tribe level, you pretty much can't win that game without make the single player experience hell. The alpha tribe has all kinds of "tricks" at their disposal that they use to level players. Can't say I know them all, but like said here, in 12 hours, the alpha tribe player might level up as much as 4x what a solo player can achieve. So really 1X or 2X, it doesn't really affect them, it only punishes the solo player.

I've used a few of these tricks myself. All I need is to join a tribe of even 1 player that has all the standard dinos. I can then use them to gather the resources needed to make all the items that give the most XP and level to 50 in a few days. If they have storage bins already filled with the resources and don't mind me using them all up, I can level even quicker. This was on an unofficial that I did this, I think with 4X for the XP rate, but doesn't really matter the rate, with the right techniques that are really only available in a tribe (the bigger the better), you can level much quicker.

2 hours ago, Vonpritz said:

That's not what I am seeing in practice. Currently on one server the Alpha has grinded something in the order of 5,000 boulders due to the two weeks of x2 as they haven't needed to build anything else since due to x2 now they are just reconfiguring their base for fun. When there is nothing left to do, you might as well stockpile for wiping and start pushing breeding to the limits.

But that's getting off track as I already think the Giga is a bit too OP and not really an "end game" tame as it seemingly was intended to be. x2 just makes it even less so.

I get your point.  I'd even go as far as to say this is more of a giga issue than a double one (tho I could see how double affects this). I'm a firm believer in removing the giga and bestowing seige ability to several tames. Or at least making the giga a seige rex with reduced damage to tames and much less meat gathering  (not much realism but pushing this overpowered tame into more of a niche so it's not a do everything and make most other tames obsolete sorta thing)  the XP issue has always been a problem, and I'm not sure that it's double xp all the time (thought the post said permanent 2x harvest and taming only). But  alphas abused it even before the double weekends (leveling into the 60s and 70s in days). As far as the 2x taming,  would you be in favor of keeping the reduced time but then having the 1x amount of kibble/food necessary so that prep is still as important as it was before the double weekends? 

25 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

I get your point.  I'd even go as far as to say this is more of a giga issue than a double one (tho I could see how double affects this). I'm a firm believer in removing the giga and bestowing seige ability to several tames. Or at least making the giga a seige rex with reduced damage to tames and much less meat gathering  (not much realism but pushing this overpowered tame into more of a niche so it's not a do everything and make most other tames obsolete sorta thing)  the XP issue has always been a problem, and I'm not sure that it's double xp all the time (thought the post said permanent 2x harvest and taming only). But  alphas abused it even before the double weekends (leveling into the 60s and 70s in days). As far as the 2x taming,  would you be in favor of keeping the reduced time but then having the 1x amount of kibble/food necessary so that prep is still as important as it was before the double weekends? 

Frankly I'm fine with 2x taming for some Dino's but more of the Dino's should have different taming mechanics than just shoot narc arrows and wait.

This game sorely needed this...

Next thing to fix is the food and water consumption...

In no real world scenario would you run 100 yards, and recover using all of the food and water you just drank and ate, only to run another 100 yards, and just kill over or pass completely out because you just became dehydrated in the past 45 seconds and starved out.

I shouldn't chop down a rock and be completely dehydrated, or knock down a tree and start taking HP damage dude to hunger...

• GP locked this topic