Deinogalerix: An Unfinished Dossier and also NOT A RODENT :(

GlaciusTS

I don't know if any of you will remember this, but a long time ago I submitted a fan dossier created by myself with art commissioned from a friend of mine on the Steam community and it appeared in a community crunch. It was the Cambrian Worm aka "Ottoia Mongolia" dossier. Since then, I actually had been working with another artist I commissioned on a second dossier. I had everything written up and paid him, threw together a layout I thought was great, but to no avail. The artist ran into some serious personal problems, and despite paying him, I let him off the hook as he is a good friend of mine and I understand what he's going through. In light of this, I would like to hand the incomplete image over to the community. He had been making great headway with the primary art, but hadn't gotten around to finishing it up or doing any of the margin doodles. The Dossier was also to have the words "NOT A RODENT" scribbled in a few places, because you just know people are going to be calling it Ark's "Rodent" or "Rat", and honestly, that is the role it was meant to fill, however in this case the "rats" are dog sized or bigger. One of the most prominent features on Deinogalerix was definitely its horrifying jaws.

Deinogalerix was a Gymnure, having far more in common with Hedgehogs and Shrews than any rodent, and I decided to base it mostly on the Ladder, shrews, to further push the "Big Rodent" trope it is meant to fill, since Shrews are commonly mistaken for Rodents. One of the more interesting aspects of shrews is that they are incredibly fast and violent. They are highly unpredictable and very few people could ever handle one without having their hands bitten repeatedly, and some are even venomous. This would be perhaps the first example of a small animal being more difficult to tame than a T-Rex. Taming difficulty has scaled with size for the most part, but Deinogalerix would be an exception to the rule. In order to justify this, however, I felt it necessary to make the animal more useful than any other small tame. It can't be mounted, being dog-sized, but moves faster than any other carnivore, and is incredibly proficient at remaining undetected by predators. If tamed, this creature could roam into a herd of hostiles without drawing attention, and once it bites something, that animal alone would follow it, unable to catch up, with the other animals paying no attention to such a small threat. (This would be used purposely to draw dinos and potentially players away from a group, without triggering nearby dinos to attack and into an ambush. In addition, a bite from Deinogalerix also has a chance of passing on a disease or affliction similar to rabies, however non-fatal, to its prey. Players could use this as a form of sabotage against other tribes, making some animals prone to turning on one another and their masters, similar to the Giganotosaurus. Given that Gymnures are nocturnal, I also figure this thing would typically remain unseen in caves and tall grass during the day, 

So yeah, now the community has the idea, and the thoughts I had behind it. It disappoints me that I wasn't able to finish it, and I don't have the cash to commission another artist or the talent to draw it myself, but maybe now by handing it to you guys, someone might like to take the reigns. Should anyone feel inspired want to make their own attempt at a Deinogalerix dossier, by all means, take over and finish what I couldn't. I had a lot of fun with it.

EDIT: Seriously though, guys. IT'S NOT A RODENT!

Deinogalerix.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BenSolo said:

Really cool concept and nice skills on the layout and creature "rodent" lol but no would be a good edition to the ark ??

Thanks, I really hope someone with some talent can do something with it. A lot of time and effort and money went into it, and it would be a shame for it to amount to nothing. I don't have the money to be commissioning artists over and over for the same Dossier project :P

Archived