Dedicated Server General Maintenance

I have been running a dedicated server for a couple weeks now. I found that I need to schedule daily reboots in order to keep the server running smooth, and as little issues as possible free.

I am wondering if any other Xbox one dedicated host admins are doing the same?

What works best for you? What kind of issues do you have your players talking about if any?

Drops but that may be a combination of my new router not having the ports forwarded yet and the main system login that the game uses for accounts when signing into the game to do anything at all. They have had moments when the drops caused all sorts of trouble in game and we determined that most of those drops and problems logging back in are caused by the ping error that the login servers on Ark's end was having during those times. We did so by checking the login screen to see if any other of the official servers were available, if the ping says NA or -1 then we knew it was the official login server errors because when these events happened myself and my partner were able to login but others could not.

Maintenance consists mainly of hard reset the xbox that the server is on once a week usually, and when there isn't a login server failure (official server list showing as ping NA or -1) then we clear local saved games on the xbox and login just fine.

The game is in beta stage so it does collect local saves sometimes this data can become corrupt on the client xbox's and can cause problems when the game is loading as the files are suddenly not recognized and crash the game. It can also cause the game to hang when logging in and cause the game to crash frequently while inside the game.

When we perform these maintenance steps everything is clear and we have little issue.  I don't recommend doing a clearing of the local saved games if you have games that you've never loaded onto the cloud because you will lose your data that way. The cloud will save the information when you are online on Xbox Live but there are those who like to save local saved games that never connect to the internet when they gameplay.

There's also a lag issue right now in which the elements in the game take a huge amount of memory to load (no doubt because of the early build which I'm sure they are working on) so if you come across a base you built with lots of structures and pets it's best to take it slow until it loads completely because it's crashed on me several times because I flew or road in too fast back to base the memory leak caused a crash.

Can't tell you how many flyers I've lost that way so far.

Archived