ARK Digest 25!

Jatheish

I've been expecting this for awhile and I don't see why they haven't already made it. But how come they haven't put rope into the game? That to me would have been one of the first things you could unlock. Maybe to lasso dinosaur s so they couldn't get away or tieing rope to an arrow. I mean there's alot of things you could do with rope.

I've got two huge issues with this digest:

1. A desert biome? REALLY? On THIS ark? Your landmass is already small and cluttered enough as it is... unless you plan on redoing the design of the island or expanding the size of the map "The Island" is going to seem less like an island and more like a sad little assortment of dioramas. The new biomes (while they have some interesting content) are already not that much fun to explore because they're so small. It's too easy to wander out of the swamp while exploring it, and the snow biome feels like it doesn't even belong on the map. Adding an expansive desert that further depletes the existing jungle biome is a terrible idea without some major changes.

2. No pack bonus for raptors? Why not? Because Allosaurus is going to be a pack hunter, so it's 'taken?' 

Raptors... 
> Are not fast enough to warrant choosing over another, stronger mount outside of aesthetic preference.
> Have no outstanding stats or utilities, even compared to the Pachy.
> Are exceptionally fragile compared to comparable mounts.

"Raptors are early-game mounts." 

Okay, but why does "early game" need to equate to "obsolete the second you get another carnivorous mount?" They're already disadvantaged by the fact that players earlier in the game will likely need to tame lower-level creatures. I think much of the community also develops some degree of sentimental attachment to their pets, so why not keep them useful throughout the game? 

This is ridiculous.

Obsolete gear? Fine. Obsolete creatures? Lame.

"But they're easy to tame, so having a pack bonus would be too easy to spam and OP."

Okay, implement a limit. Another player on the steam forums suggested implementing a cap where having too many pack members induces potentially lethal infighting. That was a good idea, and it ought to be implemented for all creatures with a pack bonus. Problem solved.

18 minutes ago, Nihrahk said:

At least one of my questions were finally answered after possibly 15 or more digests, but what is up with that answer? I didn't ask about the Allosaurus, a simple no would have been just fine...

For you a no would be fine. For everyone else we got to hear that the allosaurus will have an pack mentality.

So is there any way we could get an option to change the follow distance. Reason being I was riding my Paraceretherium and try to take my rex with me and he was so far up its rear end I couldn't move kind of annoying  ended up leaving rex at home. I bought the game on steam and xbox because I mean Dinosaurs! Keep up the good work.

19 hours ago, the_british_kiwi said:

I mean, i kinda expected a longer digest, but this is still some pretty cool stuff youve guys let on about :) im betting this whole "ARK2" with hybrid dinos is gonna be soooooo awesome!

I wonder where the desert biome will go though? Id assume red obelisk

If noticed the colors go withe the biome. Green for swamp, blue for cold winter, and so red would make sense for desert.

18 hours ago, soggywetfish said:

The desert area sounds great I think your right, it will be near the red obelisk then each area will have a obelisk and you can spawn safely in the south beaches when you are a fresh spawn.

I bet there is no water at all in the deserts though which will be a challenge 

There could be a few oasises scattered about.. Making suitable places to live in the desert

Would it be feasible to give gasoline the secondary function of soaking swords and arrows to set them on fire ( for about five - ten minutes) for a temporary increase to damage?

:Rex:                                                                                                                                                                    

Moreover, I am a huge fan of the Alphas (particularly their color palettes). Would it be possible to add non-Alpha spawns with these color schemes?

Is their anyway you can extend the decomposition time for prime meat? It really sucks when you are out hunting and pick up like 6 or 7 and have to immediately, regardless of whats around, jump off and cook it for it to last long enough to make it back to your camp and most of the time you lose 1 or 2 even if you do it right away.

why cant raptors also get a pack bonus, up to 5 raptors in a pack and when this pack size is acquired they become hostile to other wild raptors preventing the packs being OP. Raptors were pack animals it seems disadvantages to forgo realism to give park mentality to one species alone. Saber's and wolves could have the same 5 animal packs rule as well. By all means give the allos a bigger bonus or larger pack size but please don't stop reworking and rethinking implemented Dino mechanics just to focus on content quantity. Ark is GOTY all ready in my opinion, potential is there for game of the generation too!

On 1/7/2016 at 10:31 PM, Jat said:

Hey Survivors!

Welcome to the twenty-fifth issue of the ARK Digest! We hope you had a fantastic holiday period and are just as excited as we are for 2016. We’ve got a lot planned for the ARK this coming year and cannot wait to get it out to you! 

First of all, a congratulations is in order!

Survival of the Fittest: Naughty or Nice

On the 28th of December 200 survivors went head to head in an ultimate and epic Survival of the Fittest battle. The 200 survivors consisting of your favourite ARK streamers and some of the best SoTF players around were randomly placed in two tribes, Tribe Naughty and Tribe Nice. They fought it out in an massive 100 versus 100 elimination battle for charity. Each team were sporting stylish blue and red Santa hats respectively, but ultimately only one tribe could prevail as victorious!

For those of you who were unable to watch the Naughty or Nice event you can watch the full VOD here, shoutcasted by our lovely hosts Bikeman and JayEx23. In addition you can also check out your favorite streamers most recent broadcasts, as they may have streamed their POV!

Without further ado, we’re proud to announce the winning team of the last Survival of the Fittest championship of 2015, Tribe Naughty!

large.ARKNaughtyOrNice.jpg.85b3fd0d59ec6

As the winners of this event, Tribe Naughty was awarded $10,000 to divide among each player and donate to their charity of choice from the following: AbleGamers, Charity: Water, Childs Play, GamingForAdoption, and TakeThis. Each of these charities also received an additional $1,000 on behalf of Studio Wildcard.

Congratulations goes out to our winners and all of the contestants who made the first event of our new Total Conversion mod incredibly entertaining to watch!

Highlights Video!

Following our festive charity battle, we reached out to content creators on Twitter requesting an ARK: Survival of the Fittest - Naughty or Nice Highlights Video! Awarding 500$ to the video we enjoyed the most! 

Congratulations to Valoule who’s SoTF highlight video was very enjoyable and quite hypnotic!

We also had some other great entries from more ARK Survivors and as a thank you for putting a highlight video together, we’ll be awarding you with 100$ each!

0slyde

A2_Dtox

GamerPerfection

Xbox Contest - The Hunt for the Bionic Rex!

On the 15th of December we announced a contest where we would award a Survivor 200$, if they were the first to obtain a Bionic Rex skin on an Official PvP server and tweet us a screenshot! On the 30th of December, https://twitter.com/Fusion_V7 managed this, so congratulations to them!

and speaking of the Xbox - worry not survivors as early next week you’ll be receiving a content update where our latest friend will be hopping itself over to your islands!

Patch 231.3 Balance Changes!

We've rolled out an additional patch to the balance values we altered earlier. These new numbers will still help tackle the issue of over-inflated creature stats however will help alleviate some of the concerns that have been brought up over the past two days. 

We're interested in hearing your feedback so please let us know what you think about the new changes and your main concerns regarding the state of balance in ARK. Please make sure that you're playing on an Official Server with the latest version (231.3) or your private-server is running the latest version and has no other customization so that we're able to make full use of your feedback and get a clearer understanding of the state of the game.

Thank you guys!

Megathreads for comments: 

Survivetheark

Steam

Reddit

ARK Digest Q+A

Yeah it should be mostly primes! We’ll make this change in the next update.

On a Live Public Server (unlike in a Single Player Game or Non-Dedicated Host Mode), Wild creature spawns/despawns can be randomized based on a number of factors, including server performance. Only by tranq-ing them out are you fully guaranteed they’re going to stick around indefinitely.

Yes actually that is currently being programmed ;)

Their arenas are being finished up right now!

We’re looking into that. Can’t confirm anything yet though!

That sounds like a pretty neat idea, we’ll likely get around to it.

There’s going to be a massive desert. ;)

Haha we like the sound of this :-D

Basically you need to leave an animal (or person) around for it to hunt. Last team to knock out the animal gets the credit for Affinity when the Troodon hunts and kills that creature. There’s a cooldown on this. The better the creature, the more Affinity. Do it enough, and the Troodon becomes yours with the corresponding Affinity. If it works out well, we will adapt it for other carnivores too.

There are key Survivors on the ARK whose notes you’ll be finding through deep exploration. Dossier Dude (not his real name) is one. Recipe Gal (not her real name) is another. The others include a Three Kingdoms Era Monk and a Roman Centurion. Their writings, across time and languages, help lead to unlocking the mystery of exactly what the ARK is.

Plasma sabers. You got it ;)

Yup, it will be coming to the Xbox!

Yes, the SWAT Armor is imminent! Security has been very excited about this.

As we get more creatures in, we plan more day/night behavior variation per dinos. Yes, some will sleep during the day or night respectively, unless disturbed.

Not on this ARK ;)

You’ll be able to do both in the next major update :)!

Beer!

Yup, we’ll be looking at this in Breeding Phase 2.

That’s the Chemistry Table, and it’s on the way!

Tek Tier is gonna have something special for this purpose, and it will have other uses too.

Non-permanent, similarly to SotF. However the rate of being able to summon bosses will be server-adjustable, as well as how long they last. So if you want some crazy boss-overrun server… well, that’s up to you :-P

Very likely, but we need to take the time to analyze the memory and performance cost of it on consoles first.

You shall!

Yes there will be. We need to go through and make sure none of them can ‘crash’ the game first (a no-no on consoles).

We’re actually working on a skill-based mechanic for exactly this.

That’s actually a pretty good idea. We’ll work on that.

Nope, because they all come from the Broodmother!

Indeed, at the Tek Tier. It will also accelerate their incubation speed.

Yes, you will be. But it’ll do less damage.

Yep, stack sizes goin’ up!

We plan to rebalance the supply drops in the next major update.

Sure, we’ll add that in the next major version.

Yup, we’re working on a fix for it as we speak and hope to have it ready shortly :).

It shall be done!

That’s for the Allosaurus!

That’s it for this week’s ARK Digest! Thanks for tuning in and hopefully you’ve walked away learning something new ;). Please take a look at our latest changes in Patch 231 and be sure to share your feedback! We’ve got a lot planned this year and can’t wait to get cracking! 

All the best,

Wildcard Jat & The ARK Survival Evolved Team! 

View full articlevj xxx

What about underwater.  Arks or something like more caves or islands expanding at sea, deep valles, maybe whirlpools or volcanic activity deep underwater? The pure insanity of doffrent climates would make this game increeibly wonderful, or maybe a wall or machine in Tek Tier that empties water out of an underwater structure? So underwater bases can actually be a reality? I cant get enough of the waters of a server. Please and thank you c:

12 hours ago, Ashwave said:

What about underwater.  Arks or something like more caves or islands expanding at sea, deep valles, maybe whirlpools or volcanic activity deep underwater? The pure insanity of doffrent climates would make this game increeibly wonderful, or maybe a wall or machine in Tek Tier that empties water out of an underwater structure? So underwater bases can actually be a reality? I cant get enough of the waters of a server. Please and thank you c:

Heya @Ashwave

Reading your great ideas, I thought you might like to see the list below :)
http://ark.gamepedia.com/Upcoming_Features

• Jerryn unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • Jerryn locked this topic