XBox One Server customization

Good day.  I currently host a private server for me and some friends on the PC version.  What I found when I was setting that up is that my ISP blocks the default port that ARK uses for hosted servers.  I was able to get around this easy enough on the PC by designating a non-blocked port in my server start ini file.  Now a friend of mine who plays on XBox is wanting to setup a dedicated server for those of our friends who play on console.  What I need to know is if you can change the port for a private server hosted on an xbox?  I am already quite familiar with setting up the forwarding on the router, so that part isn't an issue.  Before he buys a new xbox for his server we want to make sure it's going to work for us.

Thanks for your time and information.

Cheers,

31 minutes ago, fotowca said:

Good day.  I currently host a private server for me and some friends on the PC version.  What I found when I was setting that up is that my ISP blocks the default port that ARK uses for hosted servers.  I was able to get around this easy enough on the PC by designating a non-blocked port in my server start ini file.  Now a friend of mine who plays on XBox is wanting to setup a dedicated server for those of our friends who play on console.  What I need to know is if you can change the port for a private server hosted on an xbox?  I am already quite familiar with setting up the forwarding on the router, so that part isn't an issue.  Before he buys a new xbox for his server we want to make sure it's going to work for us.

Thanks for your time and information.

Cheers,

You can open ports for your Xbox. In fact, Xbox Live highly recommends that several specific ports be open in order to host properly. DMZ and DCHP is highly recommended as well. 

Hope this helps and Good Luck. 

Just now, Zorendier said:

You can open ports for your Xbox. In fact, Xbox Live highly recommends that several specific ports be open in order to host properly. DMZ and DCHP is highly recommended as well. 

Hope this helps and Good Luck. 

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately that doesn't cover the part I need to know about.  Opening parts on my router, and even setting the xbox in a DMZ isn't the issue.  The problem I'm expecting to run in to is ports being blocked by my ISP.  The default port for a dedicated server on PC is 27015.  That port is blocked by my ISP, so I had to find an unblocked port and changed my PC Server to use that alternate port (Via the server startup ini).  I'm concerned that my ISP is going to also be blocking whatever port(s) the dedicated XBox ark server uses.

I'm not near my home computer right now, so maybe what I'll do when I get home is find the list of ports used by the XBox server and do a port scan of my network to see if those ports are blocked or not.  In the meantime I would still appreciate if anyone knows whether you can change the port used on a dedicated xbox server.  

Cheers,

I appreciate that where you work/live that may be the policy. I live in Canada, and if you give a quick Google of Canadian isp blocking ports. Or more specifically Shaw or telus blocking ports you will find lots of instances of them doing so.  They typically do so on common server ports, 21, 25, etc. 

My process when setting up my pc ark server if you doubt my methodology was as follows.

1. Setup a port forward for 27105 on my router. My modem is in bridge mode so I do all firewall configuration on the router I supplied not my isp provided modem/router combo

2. Using the port scanner from t1shopper.com I checked to see if port 27105 was now open. It reported it was not.

3. I picked another random port that isn't for a common service, nor in use by any of the other services I run from my machine. Scan it with the above tool and it is closed

4. Copied my settings from step 1 but for this new port

5. Scan that port again and it is now open.

I think my next step , if no one can answer my original question, is to get a hold of an Xbox and test the server settings my self.

What I find works for me is all the above.

1) added a DHCP reservation for my Xbox One dedicated server.
2) added this IP to my routers DMZ
When doing this alone, I found it worked but still had some issues form time to time and the consoles NAT was strict.
3) Did the port forwarding opening up the recommended ports to change NAT to Open.

With all this said - on the Xbox I have people add the Hosted Live account Gamer Tag to their friends list and join off this account.

Archived