UI Discussion: Player Inventory Screen

Jatheish

• Volunteer Moderator

When in the inventory of something with a variable number of slots(character or tame inventory), I would like for the inventory to not auto scroll when I clear a row, such as moving or dropping items.  I end up moving or dropping something I don't mean to because the everything drops down one line on me and my cursor ends up on the wrong item.

When you are in inventory with a fixed number of slots, everything stays in the same place, until you manually scroll slot rows in the container, so I want my(and tamed animal) inventory to work like that; as if there were some virtual(unseen) slots that would keep the rows from scrolling.

On the HUD, I wouldn't mind a little more contrast in the status indicators, especially when they are low.  Maybe turn them yellow, orange, and red as they get low(or high in the case of weight).

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

VISUAL IMPROVEMENT: I love the hologram inventory idea but it could be given a face lift with a sleeker, more modern, and easier to navigate display. Less cluttered with words but continued and enhanced item description when hovering over an item.

CONTROLS: Console needs to have an easier to navigate tool bar. Like console minecraft you should be able to switch from item to item using LB and RB.

FLOATING NAMES: The bright green is very intense and can quickly clutter the screen so a more subtle name display would be very appreciated, also with a shorter draw distance.

OPTION: You guys already talked about this but more single player options, like incubation speeds, amount allowed on platform saddle, etc... Also descriptions of what each option does. Example: higher the number means the faster a Dino egg will incubate.

14 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

When in the inventory of something with a variable number of slots(character or tame inventory), I would like for the inventory to not auto scroll when I clear a row, such as moving or dropping items.  I end up moving or dropping something I don't mean to because the everything drops down one line on me and my cursor ends up on the wrong item.

Can't remember how many times I've accidentally eaten something in the row above because of this.  LOL

Please for the love of god because I've been moving bases and have to move bullets (and when taking them back out of the Quetz have to hold A on stack by stack) another option beside Take All, for Take All Until I Can't Move.

It takes forever to take 380/400 weight to run over and fill 2.5 turrets but if I take all from inventory it would fill me to 800/400 and I can't move then.

4 minutes ago, FrostyNWinters said:

Please for the love of god because I've been moving bases and have to move bullets (and when taking them back out of the Quetz have to hold A on stack by stack) another option beside Take All, for Take All Until I Can't Move.

It takes forever to take 380/400 weight to run over and fill 2.5 turrets but if I take all from inventory it would fill me to 800/400 and I can't move then.

Yes, please keep both take all even if I can't move to make crafting easier, but also add take all up to max unburdened.

Not sure how it would be done, but another thing that should be easier without having to go into your inventory to do it.  Make swapping ammo easier to do without having to do it in the inventory.  Or if in the inventory make a button/ui that just automatically goes from the ammo you selected to the weapon it makes most sense to be on.

1 hour ago, Alevia said:

Would be nice to see the folders be more functional. If i make a meat folder, i would like to be able to have the meat go into that folder as i am gathering it.If i'm gathering Thatch, i would like the thatch to go into that Thatch folder, instead of having to transfer them there, just to go back into the folder to get them out. I see more potential for folders than the current system. 

To play into this there should be your generic inventory that carries everything not specifically separated into a folder. On Xbox it's much easier to drop all or transfer all or whatever but I have things in my inventory I want to stay there at all times (ammo specifically but other things like a club, parachutes, grappling hooks). So I should be able to make a ammo folder and all things considered ammo get transferred there automatically so when I'm in my inventory I can drop all and the ammo would stay in that folder. 

Of course the name would be what I choose and the items held inside would be placed specifically first by me into that folder and from then on that folder automatically holds all of that item like arrows, tranqs, simple bullets, etc...

6 minutes ago, TheRealTFreezy said:

To play into this there should be your generic inventory that carries everything not specifically separated into a folder. On Xbox it's much easier to drop all or transfer all or whatever but I have things in my inventory I want to stay there at all times (ammo specifically but other things like a club, parachutes, grappling hooks). So I should be able to make a ammo folder and all things considered ammo get transferred there automatically so when I'm in my inventory I can drop all and the ammo would stay in that folder. 

Of course the name would be what I choose and the items held inside would be placed specifically first by me into that folder and from then on that folder automatically holds all of that item like arrows, tranqs, simple bullets, etc...

Oh, nice, I like this.  Thinking like an ammo belt, backpack, duffle bag, etc.  That way like you said you could just do a transfer all and not have to transfer back ammo and other stuff.

Heck if not multiple inventories, make it so that some items can "stick" and require an extra command to unstick from the inventory?

15 minutes ago, mleii said:

Oh, nice, I like this.  Thinking like an ammo belt, backpack, duffle bag, etc.  That way like you said you could just do a transfer all and not have to transfer back ammo and other stuff.

Heck if not multiple inventories, make it so that some items can "stick" and require an extra command to unstick from the inventory?

Exactly. And keeping it with the folders you could use it for anything. Say you are gathering berries but you only want narc and mejo, you add them to an inventory and everything else you collect can be dropped using "drop all" in the main inventory folder. Use could leave them like that forever or just while you're gathering at that moment. Would help a lot especially I feel for Xbox because dropping a lot of stuff without dropping the important materials is time consuming at best and pretty rage inducing in the laggiest of times

i was thinking maybe a way to highten the words for the names of stuff being shown like items and makeing the ui tool bar bigger for people that have eyesight problems would be decent for them if they wanted to play this awsome game my mom has this game and she has a hard time playing it cause of how small the letters are for her and the small toolbox even when its already maxed.

While working on the Inventory UI, not sure if the PC version has it, but on the Xbox, if an item is in an inventory closer to the right edge of the screen the item info gets clipped so you have to move it in the inventory to see it.  I think the clipping bug is also on the bottom of the screen as well.  Not sure how you'd fix it as it might end up having the window be over the selection UI, but I'm sure you can figure out a way.

Also, great suggestions all, keep em coming.  Wish I had more reputation points to give out and negative rep points for the off topic rants.

I would really appreciate if being in alliances no longer disabled my ability to just message my tribe. Can you add it so that LB+Select remains General Chat, LB+Start goes back to just being Tribe Chat and LB+Start+Select goes to Alliance Chat? Really sucks when I just want to message my tribe about something but I either have to reveal that information to my whole alliance or I'm just annoying them by spamming a conversation meant for my tribe in the Alliance chat.

My thoughts:

What I like:

• I like the character preview
  • The stats about hypo and hyper-thermic insulation
  • The player stats are in the right spot (and are easy to update)
  • I like the hot bar being as prominent as it is

What I don't like:

• The size of the character preview
  • The position of the character preview
  • The lack-of-size of the actual inventory part
  • The colour of the overlay

What would be nice:

• The non-interactive bits (like the character preview, the temp stats, other static info) be in one place (maybe on the right?)
  • I find the character preview pane itself to look a little transparent or dark - or is that just me? Up brightness + contrast?
  • The overlay to be a more neutral colour (like grey!) or - have the ability to change its' colour!
  • Dedicate more screen real-estate to the inventory itself, perhaps by moving other info to a new menu option/ page
  • I also agree with the people who suggested colouring certain stats when they're reaching their limits (like weight) - that helps you judge at a glance

Hope that proves informative!

I probably have some other comments later if I think about it.

Engrams in general feel like they need a lot of work.

I keep wishing that the Learn Engram page was more like a talent tree. And thus had more visual indicators of what engrams were associated or required for each other. (More could be said of talent trees, but I think that's outside the scope) For instance, learning engrams? Quick jump to structures, weapons, saddles, or chemicals. Then within you could draw requirement lines within. Such as visually linking pachy saddle and pachy platform saddle engrams when learning them.

I also wish that more of the Engrams were packages. For instance, do I really need to learn Left and Right sloped walls separately? Why aren't these a bundle with learning sloped ceilings? Same could be said for doors, windows, and hatches.

1 hour ago, Ampersam said:

My thoughts:

What I like:

• I like the character preview
  • The stats about hypo and hyper-thermic insulation
  • The player stats are in the right spot (and are easy to update)
  • I like the hot bar being as prominent as it is

What I don't like:

• The size of the character preview
  • The position of the character preview
  • The lack-of-size of the actual inventory part
  • The colour of the overlay

What would be nice:

• The non-interactive bits (like the character preview, the temp stats, other static info) be in one place (maybe on the right?)
  • I find the character preview pane itself to look a little transparent or dark - or is that just me? Up brightness + contrast?
  • The overlay to be a more neutral colour (like grey!) or - have the ability to change its' colour!
  • Dedicate more screen real-estate to the inventory itself, perhaps by moving other info to a new menu option/ page
  • I also agree with the people who suggested colouring certain stats when they're reaching their limits (like weight) - that helps you judge at a glance

Hope that proves informative!

Lots of geat ideas, tomorrow when I get more rep points you'll get one for sure along with several others.  Though the hyper/hypothermic stats I find confusing at times to understand how some armor comapres to others.

Make it look like the video below?

In all seriousness, i would like:

The ability for a dino to eat a whole stack of meat.

chat not overlapping crafting queue.

sort engrams screen, filter by unlearned.

holding number key in inventory to show tooltip.

make hyperthermal and hypo more intuitive.

better font.

Maybe allow us to move sections around whereever we want (think of ui like eve or something)

• Jatheish unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived