Deathworm Horns

Ekoby

so what do you have? you can transport your vanilla dinos to SE as well so opens up the possible dinos/weapons used. badazz carnivores should be your first choice. if you really dont own anything good, you could possibly find smth in the trade section (for PC and for XB1). going through your posting history, i assume you're a modded pvp newb and i'f it's a no-fly server then i'd definitely start a scorp farm to get those high rexes kibble tamed. weapon wise, use fire arrows which are relatively cheap and your best kickass dino which, in worse case scenario, can outrun that worm. other than that, you wont be able to "farm" horns without a proper carnivore. why carnis, you ask? because they can be healed between fights. 

@eESTlane No I'm not a modded pvp newb. 

I play on an official PVP server. Unfortunately I play on one of the original cross ark clusters and my other survivor on official the center pvp map cant transfer anything (which I discovered recently) to the original cross ark cluster even though they are both official pvp.

I saw someone saying ride on a direwolf and use fire arrows? Would that be viable?

O I didnt actually think of that, you mean if you remote feed meat they heal (ok maybe I'm a bit of a newb lol), does that not work with herbivores? 

If original cluster is not accessible by the rest of the servers then submit a ticket about that. I'd personally ditch that account and continue with the pvp center character which now has open borders among hundreds of servers. And yes, you can use some tools on certain dinos but definitely not all of them. Some limitations there. And by "healing" I did mean force feeding meat. Herbivores have sweet veggy cake that works similarly but it's not that cheap in comparison. 

Well I've submitted a ticket re that, as it does seem a bit odd (although I am now realising it does have its pros, i.e no random invasions just the current alpha destroying things occasionally).

I do like this character though so I'm not sure if I'll ditch him.

Hmm ok, I hadn't really thought of the force feeding/healing aspect before. Is it only cooked meat/prime meat or would cooked fish work as healing?

1 hour ago, Ekoby said:

Well I've submitted a ticket re that, as it does seem a bit odd (although I am now realising it does have its pros, i.e no random invasions just the current alpha destroying things occasionally).

I do like this character though so I'm not sure if I'll ditch him.

Hmm ok, I hadn't really thought of the force feeding/healing aspect before. Is it only cooked meat/prime meat or would cooked fish work as healing?

No to cooked anything. Carnos prefer raw and you can get a lot of meat from the creatures in the dunes. Gigas work the best imo, better than a rex. Fire has DoT, so fire arrows, oil jugs or fire wyvern will do dmg even when it's submerged.  Yes, a wolf or fast saber can do the trick but don't go head to head. Let it pop out, run away, then shoot it with a fire arrows. It takes some time, but it will eventually die.  

1 hour ago, Ekoby said:

yeah sorry that was a brain fart, I dont know why i wrote cooked lol giga would be a struggle for us, we are 2 person tribe and gigas dont spawn in scorched earth right?

Will probably opt for taming a rex or levelling wolf/sabre. 

As a side note, what is better, sabre or wolf?

No they aren't on scorched.  You have to get them from the island or the center. But, 2 people can easily get a giga. I've done some myself. Takes time but you can get it. 

Wolf or saber, that's a tough one bc they are both good in their own right.  Wolves are faster than sabers and provide pelt easily. Sabers, are slower but harvest the most chitin outside of a wyvern. If I were you, I'd get a saber.

Reason: sabers get tons of chitin which is good on scorched because rocks are everywhere. Easy cementing paste farming. This will also allow you to have a semi decent ground mount to lure the worm up. Your other tribe mate needs to be on a rex AFTER he shoots it with a flame arrow.  Go to town on the worm with the rex after its on fire. Again, this will take some time but it can be done. Just level the rex in dmg and health, and the saber in speed and health.

Would love an answer to his original question if anyone knows it. I brought my giga's over from my other server and walked the desert all around the map and didn't see one in two hours. Is there a trick to getting them to spawn? Usually me being around is enough for something deadly to spawn and kill every dino in sight but oddly this doesn't seem to apply to death worms.

4 minutes ago, DinoMinions said:

Would love an answer to his original question if anyone knows it. I brought my giga's over from my other server and walked the desert all around the map and didn't see one in two hours. Is there a trick to getting them to spawn? Usually me being around is enough for something deadly to spawn and kill every dino in sight but oddly this doesn't seem to apply to death worms.

really? you walked? with a giga? get onto a bird and have the giga on follow. fly against the land in k-mode for a larger viewing angle.

15 minutes ago, DinoMinions said:

The plan I'm aiming towards is just getting a rex and walking into the desert, a decent rex can 1 v 1 a deathworm so your giga should be more than enough. I don't think there is anything wrong with just walking with your giga, maybe stand still every so often and see if one comes to you. I also saw a video where the youtuber was speaking about specific spots that deathworms spawn.

But as @eESTlane said, theres a little trick where you press k and move the camera under the map, the worms will basically look like long bits of poop under the map.

Rex works.  10k HP, 350% melee rex with a basic saddle will down a deathworm and lose maybe 3k HP.  It can likely solo an alpha worm as well.  15k HP/400% melee with any level rex following to provide a mate boost will allow you to farm deathworms indefinitely. 

100% imprint fire wyvern with 12k HP and 300% melee will solo a worm and lose about 4k HP.  It can also solo an alpha worm.  Don't bother breathing on the worms unless you have a lightning wyvern.

A 7-9k HP paracer with a 50+ armor saddle works too in conjunction with fire arrows.  Just have the paracer tank the worm while you stand back and use fire arrows.

The limiting factors for you are time.  Doing full laps in the dunes with a rex takes like an hour a lap and may net 6-8 death worms (less if there's a lot of people in the dunes).  A wyvern, by contrast, can circle the map and kill the same amount of worms (assuming you stop to slam meat to heal) in about 15 minutes.

If your dinos don't have the above stats but you have two people, have one person on an argie fly in front of the rex to draw out the worms.  One person tanks/fights on the rex (a 6k HP rex would be fine) while the other person spams fire arrows.  Fire arrows do TONS of damage.

On 12/6/2016 at 1:48 PM, eESTlane said:

really? you walked? with a giga? get onto a bird and have the giga on follow. fly against the land in k-mode for a larger viewing angle.

Ive lost so many birds on that map from disconnects I dont trust it. At least the giga can fend for itself if I get kicked. Now I just make myself a drink or three and have a slow stroll to the desert lol

2 hours ago, DinoMinions said:

Ive lost so many birds on that map from disconnects I dont trust it. At least the giga can fend for itself if I get kicked. Now I just make myself a drink or three and have a slow stroll to the desert lol

park bird near giga. set giga to neutral/attack my target. hop onto the giga and whistle follow to the bird. unmount and jump onto the bird.

there are worm "hotspots" so you dont even have to go anywhere near the wyvern trench ;) 

If you don't have a Wyvern or Rex, then I'd suggest bringing at least a high-level Morellatops to tank for you. Get yourself Sabercats (Wolves work too, but lack the armor bonus), and let the Morellatops tank. If you're solo, then I'd just use your mount for protection from other wild baddies while you shoot the Deathworm with fire arrows, but if you have your buddy with you, then you or they can attack with the Saber/Wolf.

That said, I would still invest in getting a Rex or Wyvern ASAP. Even a low-level Wyvern can pretty effectively take on a single Deathworm at a time (For example, my Lightning Wyvern hatched at lvl 12, and I boosted it to about 8k HP and 200% melee before trying). You'll need to heal between each fight, and Alpha Deathworms are probably a no-go unless you know how to fight Deathworms well, but it'll get the job done. A high-level (140+) Wyvern or a decent level Rex will always be your best bet for solo, though

11 hours ago, eESTlane said:

park bird near giga. set giga to neutral/attack my target. hop onto the giga and whistle follow to the bird. unmount and jump onto the bird.

there are worm "hotspots" so you dont even have to go anywhere near the wyvern trench ;) 

This is why I read the forums. All the people who think of things I don't. Thanks for this, I'ma go worm hunting after work! ?

1 hour ago, DinoMinions said:

This is why I read the forums. All the people who think of things I don't. Thanks for this, I'ma go worm hunting after work! ?

err on the side of caution. if you jump off the bird then, depending on follow distance it's set on, it may fly to your giga. so no fire arrow jibberish in the background. and when the worm drops a lootbag, just park your bird near giga so it stays on the ground.

basically 100 ways of doing things. with each nerf and patch update the variables of doing it successfully and effectively change. i did prime runs on Scorched for example, before the open clusters and before we had wyvs, with our 7-8 rexes. i was solo, riding one of the rexes. rest were on medium distance follow on neutral/attack my target. easy kills. and, standing away as a spectator was our platform equipped para with a kitchen set on its back. on highest follow and passive. worked wonderfully, even when i forgot the salt :D . 24 cooked prime per worm.

right now i'm in a situation where i haven't tested the new whistle commands but i imagine it being a badass function both in camp and in battleground. just need to clear my "schedule" 

Youtube has some videos. I like the one by nooblets.

According to nooblets video, there are fixed spawn points, but really they are a lot of them, so just about anywhere out in the dunes will work. 

The main thing you need to know is how to use K to enable camera view and then while flying any bird, you can few under the map and see the death worms. You fly with the bird's nose to the sand. Wyvern is best, because once you see one, you can land and then kill the death worm.

Keep in mind, they despawn in less than 1 minute after you agro one, so they must be attacked pretty much immediately after you find one, else they have a pretty good chance of despawning.

All this is explained much better in one of the nooblet videos.

Archived