Can someone help me with breeding?

Tijz

On 11/29/2016 at 11:14 PM, Tijz said:

Can someone help me to explain breeding. I thought it was only able to breed at highest lvl 225, Since base lvl can be 225 when perfect tamed. Some other guy on my server can breed 239. Can someone explain me?

There can be a chance for the off spring to be a higher level than the parents. Not sure exactly how it works, nor does it make much sense, but that's about the size of it.

The breeding is a collection of levels. So if you have a perfect tame with high health and low damage mating with a perfect tame with low health and high damager you can get a child with high health and high damage. Making it a higher than perfect tame level. You might also get the opposite, a low health and low damage child. Mostly you just get a same level child. Just wait for a random mutation to hit your dino and get a super damage buff. 

• 1 month later...

It's a lot of information to condense into a single post, I would recommend reading this page in it's entirety, but the relevant section is linked for you:

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Breeding#Example

Basically the 'level' of a creature is a figure representing all the level-ups it is made up of. These distributions of stats are determined randomly when the creature is spawned. In theory you could run across two level 100 Dodos

1. Male, with 50 levels spent in health, giving it 1000 health (made up figure),
  2. Female, with 50 levels spent in Melee (giving it 300% melee, also fiction) 

If you breed these two level 100's together, you have a chance of getting a baby who inherits both the 1k health pool and 300% melee, the level representation of the baby would then be 150

1. 50 random levels 
  2. 50 levels in health (from Father)
  3. 50 levels in melee (from Mother)

Breeding is incredibly powerful and lets players 'make' creatures with combinations of stats/levels that would be impossible to acquire through taming alone. Though it requires a fair amount of dedication, time, and luck to make these kinds of things happen.

A typical approach for a breeder would be to find/tame a high level creature with a very high base health, and then find a corresponding level/tame with really high melee or carry weight, and then breed to produce an offspring with both stats. Many professional breeders will often times do combinations of 3-4 stats overall, but this can require many generations to produce a so called 'perfect breeding'.

Honestly, I'm skipping a lot of details here, because there are a ton more factors in play, I would encourage reading the article for more information.

17 hours ago, Velathir said:

It's a lot of information to condense into a single post, I would recommend reading this page in it's entirety, but the relevant section is linked for you:

http://ark.gamepedia.com/Breeding#Example

Basically the 'level' of a creature is a figure representing all the level-ups it is made up of. These distributions of stats are determined randomly when the creature is spawned. In theory you could run across two level 100 Dodos

1. Male, with 50 levels spent in health, giving it 1000 health (made up figure),
  2. Female, with 50 levels spent in Melee (giving it 300% melee, also fiction) 

If you breed these two level 100's together, you have a chance of getting a baby who inherits both the 1k health pool and 300% melee, the level representation of the baby would then be 150

1. 50 random levels 
  2. 50 levels in health (from Father)
  3. 50 levels in melee (from Mother)

Breeding is incredibly powerful and lets players 'make' creatures with combinations of stats/levels that would be impossible to acquire through taming alone. Though it requires a fair amount of dedication, time, and luck to make these kinds of things happen.

A typical approach for a breeder would be to find/tame a high level creature with a very high base health, and then find a corresponding level/tame with really high melee or carry weight, and then breed to produce an offspring with both stats. Many professional breeders will often times do combinations of 3-4 stats overall, but this can require many generations to produce a so called 'perfect breeding'.

Honestly, I'm skipping a lot of details here, because there are a ton more factors in play, I would encourage reading the article for more information.

Ive heard people about breeding 300+ levels? Is this even possbile, if yes how?

9 hours ago, Tijz said:

Ive heard people about breeding 300+ levels? Is this even possbile, if yes how?

Yes, it's possible, but very very difficult. Essentially you take what I said above about combining different parents to get a child that inherits both stats and then just do it for every stat every stat you have patience for.

Lets say you start out with some fresh wild tames, and miraculously, they are all incredibly strong in a separate unique stat:

1. Pteranodon A - Kibble tamed at level 225 has high health
  2. Pteranodon B - Kibble tamed at level 225 has high damage
  3. Pteranodon C - Kibble tamed at level 225 has high stamina

First you would breed A & B together repeatedly until you got a child (X) that inherited both high health/damage, you would then breed Ptera C & X together until you got one with High Health/Damage (from X) and High Stamina (from C). Essentially grafting on the stronger stat into the child, each time you successfully breed in the attribute, the overall level of the child (from breeding) would get higher.

Now, this is a very simple example, but it gets complicated quickly:

1. You are going to need to knock unconscious a lot of wild dinosaurs at as close to max level as possible. Check their stats and then tame them if applicable. Most dino's have a pretty average distribution of stats, finding just one with a standout stat will take a lot of hunting.
  2. When breeding, the child has a 70% chance of inheriting the higher stat from either parent.
    • Meaning, if you were just trying to graft together 2 stats. Say, a high health/high melee combination together, you have better than average chances you will be successful in around 3 breedings max.
    • However, the odds of getting that 70% on 4, or maybe 5 stats all at once? This could take a dozen breedings
  3. It may seem silly, but breeding requires a male and female (Ark is still pretty regressive like that, maybe a Tek Tier IVF enhancement is needed? :) )
    • This means, when you breed Pteranodon A & B above to get X, well if X turns out to be a male and Ptera C is also a male, you can't breed in that third stat and will likely have to breed A & B again, not just to get the stats, but the gender you need as well!
    • So now you have another variable in play, getting the rights stats into the right gender. Often times a breeder would keep child X, on the off chance they could breed Ptera C with a future Ptera D (perhaps one with high Weight for instance) and that child is a female, then breeding X with the child of C & D

Now for most tames, you will likely favor Health & Damage first, Stamina & Weight second, Oxygen/Food are typically seen as unimportant stats. However, getting a tame with 'high levels' in Oxygen and breeding this into your dino will increase its level, these are sometimes referred to as 'vanity levels', as they do not actually affect the combat/utility capability of your creature, but does make it's overall level higher. 

So here's the punchline:

1. 'Speed' doesn't count, as there is no bonus associated with this stat
  2. So to get to the 300 mark, you need to find 6 individuals, each with a unique 50+ pts dumped into Health/Stamina/Oxygen/Food/Melee/Weight
  3. All of that will get you a 300 bred creature
  4. It will likely take hundreds of tames
  5. It will take dozens of breedings (likely triple-digits)
  6. The closer you get to max, the slower it will go

For instance, in my tribe, we knocked out every Rex we came across for an afternoon on The Center, we kept 3 220+ tames:

1. Good health (9k base, 35pts)
  2. Good damage (346% melee, 49 pts)
  3. Meh stamina (1400 I think?, 30 pts)

We bred those three together to create one Rex with all 3 stats, he's a male and I believe he bred out at around level 230. You can see how far a cry from level 300 this is, we would need much higher stats in our tames and many, many more breedings to even get close to breaking level 260/270. We live on a private dedicated server, so I likely will not be chasing a perfect breed, we just wanted a solid high-level all around Rex, and this fits the bill very well for us.

Some people treat level 300 like the baseline for 'good/great', when in reality its a sign of an incredibly devoted breeder and a lot of time.

Here's my advice if you care to have it:

1. Breed something, anything. Just go do it.
    • You will learn more about this process doing it than reading everything there is on it.
  2. I recommend Ptera's as a starting point
    • It's not terribly too time-consuming  
    • Just grab your best damage and your best health Ptera's of opposite gender
  3. Don't worry about getting it perfect or right
    • You will love the cute little bastards more than anything you found out in the wild
    • Typically anything bred will beat the pants off anything just tamed, just wait till you find out about Imprinting 9_9

11 hours ago, Velathir said:

Yes, it's possible, but very very difficult. Essentially you take what I said above about combining different parents to get a child that inherits both stats and then just do it for every stat every stat you have patience for.

Lets say you start out with some fresh wild tames, and miraculously, they are all incredibly strong in a separate unique stat:

First you would breed A & B together repeatedly until you got a child (X) that inherited both high health/damage, you would then breed Ptera C & X together until you got one with High Health/Damage (from X) and High Stamina (from C). Essentially grafting on the stronger stat into the child, each time you successfully breed in the attribute, the overall level of the child (from breeding) would get higher.

1. You are going to need to knock unconscious a lot of wild dinosaurs at as close to max level as possible. Check their stats and then tame them if applicable. Most dino's have a pretty average distribution of stats, finding just one with a standout stat will take a lot of hunting.
  2. When breeding, the child has a 70% chance of inheriting the higher stat from either parent.
    • Meaning, if you were just trying to graft together 2 stats. Say, a high health/high melee combination together, you have better than average chances you will be successful in around 3 breedings max.
    • However, the odds of getting that 70% on 4, or maybe 5 stats all at once? This could take a dozen breedings
  3. It may seem silly, but breeding requires a male and female (Ark is still pretty regressive like that, maybe a Tek Tier IVF enhancement is needed? :) )
    • This means, when you breed Pteranodon A & B above to get X, well if X turns out to be a male and Ptera C is also a male, you can't breed in that third stat and will likely have to breed A & B again, not just to get the stats, but the gender you need as well!
    • So now you have another variable in play, getting the rights stats into the right gender. Often times a breeder would keep child X, on the off chance they could breed Ptera C with a future Ptera D (perhaps one with high Weight for instance) and that child is a female, then breeding X with the child of C & D

Now for most tames, you will likely favor Health & Damage first, Stamina & Weight second, Oxygen/Food are typically seen as unimportant stats. However, getting a tame with 'high levels' in Oxygen and breeding this into your dino will increase its level, these are sometimes referred to as 'vanity levels', as they do not actually affect the combat/utility capability of your creature, but does make it's overall level higher. 

So here's the punchline:

2. So to get to the 300 mark, you need to find 6 individuals, each with a unique 50+ pts dumped into Health/Stamina/Oxygen/Food/Melee/Weight

For instance, in my tribe, we knocked out every Rex we came across for an afternoon on The Center, we kept 3 220+ tames:

We bred those three together to create one Rex with all 3 stats, he's a male and I believe he bred out at around level 230. You can see how far a cry from level 300 this is, we would need much higher stats in our tames and many, many more breedings to even get close to breaking level 260/270. We live on a private dedicated server, so I likely will not be chasing a perfect breed, we just wanted a solid high-level all around Rex, and this fits the bill very well for us.

Some people treat level 300 like the baseline for 'good/great', when in reality its a sign of an incredibly devoted breeder and a lot of time.

• You will learn more about this process doing it than reading everything there is on it.
    • You will love the cute little bastards more than anything you found out in the wild
    • Typically anything bred will beat the pants off anything just tamed, just wait till you find out about Imprinting 9_9

I have over 71 rexes and my highest breed was 238 now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2017 at 0:22 AM, Tijz said:

On 1/17/2017 at 0:51 PM, Velathir said:

So here's the punchline:

One thing to consider when you knockout an animal to check the stats is that it will not be the same as the post tame stats.  Your breeding is based on post tame stats, which will have a random increase in levels on some of the stats.  So you may knock it out, see health at 2000, but after tame it is 2100.  The breeding stat would be 2100.

edit: great post though

19 hours ago, CONVlKT said:

One thing to consider when you knockout an animal to check the stats is that it will not be the same as the post tame stats.  Your breeding is based on post tame stats, which will have a random increase in levels on some of the stats.  So you may knock it out, see health at 2000, but after tame it is 2100.  The breeding stat would be 2100.

edit: great post though

Excellent point, I know people are of varying opinions about "tame-everything" vs. "don't bother if it's already a low stat", I tried to leave it ambiguous by saying 'if applicable' :) I'm assuming that if you are on the hunt for the 300+ bred level, you probably might leave more than a few untamed though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2017 at 2:51 PM, Velathir said:

So here's the punchline:

Soo much good information here.

Thanks,

• 5 months later...
On 17/1/2017 at 1:51 PM, Velathir said:

So here's the punchline:

Thanks! Its so much useful information. Im in love with the breeding and you help me a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived