So long, ARK!

Raidriar

Until you fix your absolutely retarded PVP model, this game should be canned, and I would like a refund. The fact that somebody can just transfer scorched earth only creatures into the old island map and wipe the server clean, is absolutely broken. Nobody should be able to just magically bring over 20 dragons and wipe a peaceful server, set up a tyranny and prevent anybody from building past wood level, just because they paid for an expansion. Never mind you selling an expansion before the game is even DONE. Your game is broken and your player counts will continue to drop. Hasta la vista

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, ehuhoser said:

would you react the same if someone from your same server wiped you?  Does it matter if they came from another server?  However in general I agree that the Cross Ark transfer system needs to change and implement more ORP

BTW don't like PvP, play PvE instead.  

Offline raiding isn't PVP.

1 hour ago, EliteGamingGuru said:

Offline raiding isn't PVP.

EXACTLY! Wiping someone thats offline is a cowardly act only suitable for little children that don't know any better..

I think when a player goes offline his pets and his stuff should all go Passive and be indestructible/unkillable by other players. that way, the cowardly sissy-girls that are exploiting the PvP Offline Wipe bug(it's a bug) will have to nutt-up and wait for players to be online before they can damage anyones stuff...

Don't get me wrong, everything else about PvP is fine thus far, but completely wiping out someones stuff when they aren't even around to defend themself is just grossly unsportsmanlike and should either be a punishable offence or just be undoable..

15 minutes ago, Bigboss84 said:

I think when a player goes offline his pets and his stuff should all go Passive and be indestructible/unkillable by other players. that way, the cowardly sissy-girls that are exploiting the PvP Offline Wipe bug(it's a bug) will have to nutt-up and wait for players to be online before they  can damage anyones stuff...

It's far from a bug. If you don't want to play persistent you should play single player..

18 minutes ago, Bigboss84 said:

So Screw us for not quitting our Jobs and playing 24/7? xD

Compare it with an MMO, people who put in 3h a day and don't take part in raids won't get that endgame gear as fast or simply never.

Ark aint no mmo but like mmo's it's a persistent game..

You've got a job, why don't you run a server with settings and rules you seem fit? Heck, you can even choose your playerbase..

On 11/26/2016 at 6:11 PM, ehuhoser said:

would you react the same if someone from your same server wiped you?  Does it matter if they came from another server?  However in general I agree that the Cross Ark transfer system needs to change and implement more ORP

No, in general people would not react the same way if it was someone from the same server. Obviously some people would, as reactions to getting wiped are a regular "feature" of the forums. But in general most experienced players see a difference between getting attacked by their own server vs. other servers. The difference is that people come to understand what it takes to be competitive, or they move to another server that matches their personality better and they take part in the culture of that server. Every server has it's own unique social and political group dynamic, with some alphas being more brutal and some being more generous, but once people participate in a server that has a culture they like they can thrive within the constraints of that server.

The problem with the cross-server transfer system is that "server culture" becomes meaningless with mega tribes going from server to server destroying everything in sight with no regard for any social norms that have been set up on that server. They are traveling from server to server for the sole purpose of destroying and looting everything they can, like proverbial ravaging barbarian hordes with no remorse and no mercy. Sometimes it doesn't even have anything to do with looting, there are plenty of stories of people watching the invaders breaking open containers and just letting everything in the base rot, or carrying things out to sea and dumping them.

They're not doing it based on player skill, they're not doing it based on being extra clever and knowing game mechanics better than others, they're doing based simply on having large numbers of people in their tribe. ARK is supposed to be based on tribes, and it's supposed to be on some level a game of skill, but it has now been converted to an interplanetary war between nation-states with the largest tribes being able to destroy and ruin server after server after server with nothing stopping them except for once in a while they land on a server with another mega tribe. This is not something that can be fixed, or even mitigated, by an alpha tribe with 5-10 members and a lot of skill, it is an interplanetary war of attrition that will inevitably grind down all servers that don't have a mega-tribe as their alpha. It's not a matter of "if" servers get invaded, it's "when". ARK is currently going though a period of mass destruction on server after server after server that has no end in sight until every server that doesn't have a mega-tribe will inevitably be trashed by the ravening hordes.

That is not the game that people bought, that is not the game that people have been playing/testing for a year, and it's absolutely not what is promised when you read or watch any of the promotional materials for ARK. It would be different if the game was billed as "Endless interplanetary war between massive nation-states... oh, and also there are dinosaurs", but that's not what they're selling. ARK is billed as a "survival" game that is heavily focused on dinosaurs, having the look and feel of a Jules Verne or Steampunk story, with tribes that compete with each other on their servers. Endless interplanetary war is nowhere to be found in the game that WC is selling to people, and the changing of this key game mechanic has instantly turned the entire game into a massive bait-and-switch. Now that may not be intentional, this may not be a deliberate bait-and-switch scam, but whether it's intentional or not the result is the same, and it's going to be bad for the future of the game.

2 hours ago, EUArkServer said:

Compare it with an MMO, people who put in 3h a day and don't take part in raids won't get that endgame gear as fast or simply never.

Ark aint no mmo but like mmo's it's a persistent game..

The difference is that in an MMO you don't lose what you have gained, and people who put in 3h a day still get to experience all of the content in the game - eventually - or at least all of the content they care about.

Attempting to compare ARK PvP to any conventional MMO (like WoW, or Rift, or even games that are somewhat different like World of Tanks) is that those games are built on progression, and the ability to experience the full content of the game is available to all players who can freely pick and choose how much content they want to experience and how much time they want to spend experiencing it. But in ARK (and other "survival" games that allow destruction) there is no guarantee of experiencing content no matter how much time you put in to it. If you play on a PvP server in WoW the worst that happens is that you lose a few minutes here and there when you get ganked and have to make a corpse run or, if you find an enemy who's really determined to be a complete jerk and kills you repeatedly, you simply switch to another character for an hour or so until they get bored and leave to do other things. But in ARK you can have ALL of your work destroyed, with the only things you get to keep being your character itself.

To make matters worse, PvP in ARK really isn't PvP it's PvB (player vs. base) in which you can get completely wiped out while you're sleeping (sleep, you may recognize that as a basic human need that no no one can escape) without ever having an opportunity to fight back. There is no such thing as an indestructable base, anyone with enough persistence - and more importantly enough resources - can take down any base, especially the mega-tribes that are going from server to server destroying and/or looting everything they find.

2 hours ago, EUArkServer said:

You've got a job, why don't you run a server with settings and rules you seem fit? Heck, you can even choose your playerbase..

It's as if you completely missed the point. Running a server takes time, being an admin and vetting the player base takes time, and no matter how good you are there will always be people who try to violate the server rules because game mechanics allow it and figuring out who those people are and banning them takes time. Telling someone "run your own server" is not a solution, it's blindly pretending that the problem doesn't exist in the first place. In addition to all that, people buy a game because they want to play the game, not because they want to become a system administrator, and to suggest that they should be required to run their own server is awful thinking.

There is a problem, it's a very big problem, and it's WC's job to fix that problem before it does irreparable damage to their game.

On 11/26/2016 at 6:11 PM, ehuhoser said:

BTW don't like PvP, play PvE instead.  

I think that PvE is better because you can PVP in PvE but it has to be agreed upon. Also I think server admins need the ability to deny and accept dino transfers 

6 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

The difference is that in an MMO you don't lose what you have gained, and people who put in 3h a day still get to experience all of the content in the game - eventually - or at least all of the content they care about.

Attempting to compare ARK PvP to any conventional MMO (like WoW, or Rift, or even games that are somewhat different like World of Tanks) is that those games are built on progression, and the ability to experience the full content of the game is available to all players who can freely pick and choose how much content they want to experience and how much time they want to spend experiencing it. But in ARK (and other "survival" games that allow destruction) there is no guarantee of experiencing content no matter how much time you put in to it. If you play on a PvP server in WoW the worst that happens is that you lose a few minutes here and there when you get ganked and have to make a corpse run or, if you find an enemy who's really determined to be a complete jerk and kills you repeatedly, you simply switch to another character for an hour or so until they get bored and leave to do other things. But in ARK you can have ALL of your work destroyed, with the only things you get to keep being your character itself.

To make matters worse, PvP in ARK really isn't PvP it's PvB (player vs. base) in which you can get completely wiped out while you're sleeping (sleep, you may recognize that as a basic human need that no no one can escape) without ever having an opportunity to fight back. There is no such thing as an indestructable base, anyone with enough persistence - and more importantly enough resources - can take down any base, especially the mega-tribes that are going from server to server destroying and/or looting everything they find.

It's as if you completely missed the point. Running a server takes time, being an admin and vetting the player base takes time, and no matter how good you are there will always be people who try to violate the server rules because game mechanics allow it and figuring out who those people are and banning them takes time. Telling someone "run your own server" is not a solution, it's blindly pretending that the problem doesn't exist in the first place. In addition to all that, people buy a game because they want to play the game, not because they want to become a system administrator, and to suggest that they should be required to run their own server is awful thinking.

There is a problem, it's a very big problem, and it's WC's job to fix that problem before it does irreparable damage to their game.

PvP is unbalanced and  transfers need to be better regulated. Point taken.
I dont think it is valid to complain about offline raiding.  You should play with friends which gives your tribe a larger guarding time coverage.  Building defenses and taming guard dinos is a huge part of this game mechanics.  Perfect defenses should never exist. Of course  bases needs to sustain itself for a time but time enough or strong enough until someone log in or to raid it means alot of loss and few rewards. As you said, it is not WoW or rift and if you played this game long enough you already got used to lose something sometime. It is too a huge part of this game.  To try to "survive", remember? "Survival shooter pvp game"?

I keep loosing Larger dinos on SE by wild wyvern when im offline in a PvE server and Im not crying about it =p.

My opinion:
-Why you guys ignores PvE servers? There you got the "PvP when you want" that you guys asks so much. The OFR protection works there too. ( You dont need to worry of being offline raided when you're not at war at all). I think you just want a PvE server and dont know it.

-Most of issues  I see in this forum is about bug exploits as explosives/dino duplication and underground building what it is intensified by the transfer system allowing the exploiter to grief in a wider proportion. Actions must be taken at it , not to the transfer system.

-I believe that people got used to Peace in PvP server, what should not be that common or so easily achieved and maintained . Maybe thats why PvE servers got low populations. Its PvP, and this game is the only game I know where endgame is easier than the early game. There is something wrong on that, right? The transfers came to change it.While it still needs lot of fixes and regulation its a interesting solution that makes ark's worlds bigger . Shouldn't have such things as Alpha Tribes or not as what we had as overdeveloped tribes in a pvp server that fears nothing and rules everything.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Yea it's no mmo, it's a survival game which is set in a persistent world... Everyone who started playing it knew what they were getting into. Considering it's persistent, it only makes sense that people can attack your base while you're not online.. Otherwise, what is the point of a persistent game to begin with? Infact, i find it ashame that wild creatures go into stasis when i'm logged out in my base.. I wish Gigas would wander off by emselves without beeing kited.. It's a survival game, pets die, bases get destroyed. This aint pokemon where you catch it once and it'll stay with your forever... . If you don't enjoy the persistent gameplay mechanic there's Always single player.

Do you really think it's too much work for a couple friends to run a server while expecting WC it's staff to babysit every single official server? Hundreds of servers and how many people do they employ to look over em? Be realistic 'bout these things bud. 

And why is hosting your own server such a bad idea? imho it solves alot if not all of the problems. I liked Ark, I didn't enjoy officials or any of the dedicated servers I joined so I bought myself another xbox and started hosting with settings I myself and players on my server find enjoyable. If you've got a job ya should be able to afford it, renting servers on PC is hella cheap to begin with...

7 hours ago, EUArkServer said:

Yea it's no mmo, it's a survival game which is set in a persistent world... Everyone who started playing it knew what they were getting into. Considering it's persistent, it only makes sense that people can attack your base while you're not online.. Otherwise, what is the point of a persistent game to begin with? Infact, i find it ashame that wild creatures go into stasis when i'm logged out in my base.. I wish Gigas would wander off by emselves without beeing kited.. It's a survival game, pets die, bases get destroyed. This aint pokemon where you catch it once and it'll stay with your forever... . If you don't enjoy the persistent gameplay mechanic there's Always single player.

Do you really think it's too much work for a couple friends to run a server while expecting WC it's staff to babysit every single official server? Hundreds of servers and how many people do they employ to look over em? Be realistic 'bout these things bud. 

And why is hosting your own server such a bad idea? imho it solves alot if not all of the problems. I liked Ark, I didn't enjoy officials or any of the dedicated servers I joined so I bought myself another xbox and started hosting with settings I myself and players on my server find enjoyable. If you've got a job ya should be able to afford it, renting servers on PC is hella cheap to begin with...

Oh boy, there's a lot wrong with at least 80% of the things you said. lol

1. I've played a lot of MMOs, but never one where I have to worry about people killing my guy and jacking my stuff WHILE I'M LOGGED OUT.

2. Telling someone "Run your own server" isn't a salution to this Bug that is being exploited. Though I do intend to run my own server once I get my PC back on its feet. 

3. I get that it's a survival game, and even though I feel that the kind of people that have to wait till you've logged out to attack you out are infact Dandy flops that have to use Nancy-girl tactics to avoid going toe to toe with anyone because they can't hack. I still recognize that it's a part of the game beloved by the many wimps that need to use such shady tactics. So I'm willing to meet you halfway. How about if they set it up so that there's an option to set your server up so that all your stuff(Dinos & Structures) become indestructible when you go offline? 

That way the people that think it's BS to be wiped out when they're at work won't have to worry about it, and the unsavory types that need/enjoy that "Tactic" can still do it depending on what server they're playing on. 

It's easy to blame the players for a broken game mechanic. To say elitist crap like "The game's not buggy, you just suck." Or to a act like an indignant tool bag and try to defend something that's really just undefendable, but at the end of the day people will just keep getting pissed off and stop playing, the community will die, and the servers will be taken offline. 

I dont want that, and neither do you, so let's stop acting like this isn't an issue. Because I've seen multiple threads of people announcing that they are leaving because of this one BUG. 

On 11/25/2016 at 10:44 PM, Raidriar said:

Until you fix your absolutely retarded PVP model, this game should be canned, and I would like a refund. The fact that somebody can just transfer scorched earth only creatures into the old island map and wipe the server clean, is absolutely broken. Nobody should be able to just magically bring over 20 dragons and wipe a peaceful server, set up a tyranny and prevent anybody from building past wood level, just because they paid for an expansion. Never mind you selling an expansion before the game is even DONE. Your game is broken and your player counts will continue to drop. Hasta la vista

Peace be with you.

20 hours ago, EUArkServer said:

It's far from a bug. If you don't want to play persistent you should play single player..

Play Persistent?   I'm on everyday - Except for when I work and have other family matters.  How persistent you want me to be LOL   I was raided offline while I had my dinner! 40 mins it took two tribes to wipe my base while I was offline.

OFFLINE RAIDING ISNT PVP. That is a FACT!

3 hours ago, EliteGamingGuru said:

ABSOLUTELY!... I agree 100%. 

PvP implies that its a player facing off against another player. not a player facing off against another players stuff. xD 

The kind of person that has to use those kind of bish-boy tactics can pat himself on the back if they want, but I just don't see any skill or glory in beating up a wall. I mean, I could sneak into some guys house and lay a whoopin on his nightstand, but i don't think anyone would think I'm tough or skilled for it. lol

3 hours ago, EliteGamingGuru said:

Play Persistent?   I'm on everyday - Except for when I work and have other family matters.  How persistent you want me to be LOL   I was raided offline while I had my dinner! 40 mins it took two tribes to wipe my base while I was offline.

Persistent world as in it doesn't stop when you log out. And offline raiding is a type of tower defense game, wouldn't call it pvp either. Didnt the lead developer of ark make a tower defense game in the past? I think it's a part of the core mechanics of Ark and is working as intended.. It sucks to get wiped i'm sure. But ya, get some people from different timezones in the same tribe, Always have some people on... plenty of people on here are sick of beeing offine raided right?

1 hour ago, EUArkServer said:

Persistent world as in it doesn't stop when you log out. And offline raiding is a type of tower defense game, wouldn't call it pvp either. Didnt the lead developer of ark make a tower defense game in the past? I think it's a part of the core mechanics of Ark and is working as intended.. It sucks to get wiped i'm sure. But ya, get some people from different timezones in the same tribe, Always have some people on... plenty of people on here are sick of beeing offine raided right?

You mean like most MMOs ?  Elite Dangerous, DCU, ESO, WOW, STAR TREK etc etc etc.....oh wait but in NO persistent game...(ZERO)....can you then rob and kill someone while they are offline.  NONE.   Heck all Multiplayer games (FPS for example) are persistent in the sense when you log people can still play and improve their abilities, skills, guns etc.  BUT What they cant do it ROB YOU of all your equipment, guns, prestige's, dog tags etc while you are offline.  can you imagine Elite Dangerous playing that.....parking your ship into a bay and loggin to then log on and find someone has destroyed your ship and you have a 3million bill to pay for repairs!  ESO....you log on to find your corpse on the floor and all your hard earned items that you hand crafted stolen.  WOW you log on to find your corpse with all your hard earn raid items stolen.....

Its PvB (Players vs Base) not PVP.   and the game is sold as a PVP.   It should change or they should rename it.  Heck who remembers No Mans Sky being branded as an online MMO.....THEN they took out the multiplayer  and look at the critism that got!   Ark is already dying if it releases like this the media will DESTROY the game just like the did to No Mans Sky.   and in both cases it will be just.

and no....just no.  I shouldn't have to recruit Americans (I'm on a EU server) to support my tribe. Heck why WOULD They want to play on EU servers and they might want me to support their tribe! Then what happens?  our games will have to been pulled between 2 servers....which will result in being OFFLINE and being RAIDED.   The Problem remains.

1 hour ago, Bigboss84 said:

ABSOLUTELY!... I agree 100%. 

PvP implies that its a player facing off against another player. not a player facing off against another players stuff. xD 

The kind of person that has to use those kind of bish-boy tactics can pat himself on the back if they want, but I just don't see any skill or glory in beating up a wall. I mean, I could sneak into some guys house and lay a whoopin on his nightstand, but i don't think anyone would think I'm tough or skilled for it. lol

LOL yeah I could rock up and smack Floyd Mayweather about while he sleeps...I don't think I'll be crowned champion of the world! and I don't think anyone will give me any glory.   These idiots must have real personal issues to have to gain satisfaction from raiding while someone is offline.

5 hours ago, EliteGamingGuru said:

Oh I forgot to add to the argument.

REMOVE Gamertags after names AND remove when you see people log on.  People are using this to monitor when people are on/offline.   These give an advantage to the "offline" raiders.

If they did removed GTs at log in how is someone supposed to know if you are online to only online raid you.  You are suggesting that you only want people to raid you when you are online but don't want people to know if you are online or not. 

eree.gif

Archived