How do you get started?

DinoDash

I mostly play single player but a couple times I've tried to do official servers with little success. It's like playing single player exempt with a new and more dangerous threat: players. What seems like the obvious advantage would be joining with other players, but it's hard to find willing participants and even harder to keep them. So it seems to me that, at least at lower levels, it's better to go it alone. Anyways does anyone know the secret formula to success on an official server?

It can be very hard to break the barrier and join a tribe. Most won't accept you unless you have X amount of hours and teaming up with random noobs has its own set of downsides.

Tribes can be easier to join if you find a good unofficial server. Most players on officials are to scared right now with all the transfer BS to be accepting or wanting new players in their tribe. Alos make sure if you do join a tribe that you check the settings so if you wish to leave you can still take your dinos with you, or you can just end up loosing the lot.

I'm not sure about everyone else. I've found it's best to play for the first several levels only for XP to try and rank up (make sure to take advantage of these evolution events btw). 

I entirely skip the wood and thatch tier and go straight to stone. Craft things like rafts and narcotics to quickly rank up.

I've found that building wood bases gives a false sense of security to start using your time to build up and tame animals, only to be offline raided and lose everything.

So now (until I have an established stone base), I hide all of my valuables in small chests hidden in seaweed. That way, if your base is broken into, you still have your valuables in a safe location. If you place a chest, make sure it's almost completely hidden by the seaweed and make sure you remember where you placed it. I suppose it is risky, but I've never had anyone find and break into a seaweed chest.

All in all, my advice for you is to rank up as fast as possible and expect to die before you commit and build a base

Join a friendly server. Be a fairly active and hardworking - so you appear competent. Be helpful and join in with the community - if someone asks for an egg to imprint their dino, gift it rather than sell it. Earn kudos. Get invited into the alliance. You've successfully integrated. 

Avoid auto-turrets outside your base, especially if the server is friendly/peaceful - unless your base is on a barren coastline, somewhere where it won't grief blind-flyers. Stick to rings of spikes and plant turret sentries, if you need defenses, and only put auto-turrets inside your base (at least until you are already part of the community - no-one likes a new player who puts turrets on their base out of nowhere in the middle of a heavily trafficked area). 

I'd recommend going straight for a metal base, if possible. 

Archived