Breeding Phase 3 Discussion

SirDishcloth

4 hours ago, SirDishcloth said:

Put your outcomes/discussion about Breeding Phase 3 here.

In particular:
What do random mutations actually mean?

What are family trees and how do they affect breeding?

Random mutation affects the stats by inbreeding, both positive and negative. Family trees may help you to not breed relatives. That's what I'm thinking.

33 minutes ago, DomiDarko said:

That's why I always wrote down the stats of a new tame by hand... :P

Unfortunately many of us did not have such foresight...

Though I recently tamed an Argie with over 3000 stamina... which I am pretty sure is really good? That particular stay I pretty much memorized because it was the best I had seen.

1 hour ago, CyanicEmber said:

Unfortunately many of us did not have such foresight...

Though I recently tamed an Argie with over 3000 stamina... which I am pretty sure is really good? That particular stay I pretty much memorized because it was the best I had seen.

3000 stam is 30 points, which after tame isn't that great if your on a difficulty 5 server. It's decent on a difficulty 4. For difficulty 5, 30 points is what a tame should have minimum before tame and should reach 40+ after tame for it to be a good breeding Dino. 

On my old pvp center server, we had rexes hatching at 300-305 because the parents all had 40-45 points in all 7 seven stats. It wasnt until fifth generation until we finally got it all on one Rex. 

8 hours ago, DomiDarko said:

That's why I always wrote down the stats of a new tame by hand... :P

Yep. I put it into Notepad, and use the wiki calculator to tell me where they leveled their stats. Just the other day, i tamed a Lvl 116 Bronto (unofficial server is still Difficulty 4) with 99%+ Taming Effective, so 173 after tame. Here's how he looks in my Notepad.

MD Bronto 42 (116)
Health: 13340.1        24
Stamina: 744        21
Oxygen: 525        25
Food: 36000        26
Weight: 2304        22
Melee Damage: 308.1    42*
Speed: 100        12

I don't have much knowledge of breeding in ARK, but have you guys all tried the "ARK Smart Breeding" software? It basically does all the calculations for you, tells you how many levels have gone into what once you put in pre-tame and post-tame stats. There are a few bugs here and there but I think it's quite good. Sorry if I'm off track.

So I bred 9 argies today: 3 were eggs that I had previously fertilized and 6 were bred today. (Reduced cooldown timers on private server) All eggs and creatures bred prior to 252 have no ancestry. Of the 9 birds bred from the same wild pair, one of them had 1 mutation on it's father's side. Curiously, two of them had the exact same stats (one of which was the mutation) and the "mutated" one was 10 levels lower. I thought the mutations would be a penalty for inbreeding. I plan to do a couple of inbred pairs later on to see if this causes more "random mutations".

Previously I have read players who thought that inbreeding affected the ability to pass on stats. I'm interested to hear people's experiences with this.

Curiously, I had three good stats on the mother (Health, Food, Weight) and three on the father (stamina, O2, melee) and it took me to the 9th pairing to get 4 stats inherited by the baby. Should I keep trying to get more than that?

2 hours ago, Krick said:

When the baby is born, can you see the mutations right away, or do their first appear much later, when it reaches adulthood?

You see it right away. I hatched 21 eggs from various species and got 1 mutation; a baby rex with +2 in stamina compared to her dad and she also got a funky coloured spine on top of that.

Tip for breeders, once you tame or breed, and you go to check stats, while in inventory simply create a folder for each stat. It won't go away, and its on the dino so always know where to look :)

Plus I like my Inventories organized with spare gear n such, so having folders is a good way to keep what you may need easy access.

On 26/11/2016 at 6:58 PM, Jstall said:

Just wanted to chime in with my limited experience so far:

Bred a wolf this morning and all stats were exactly those of the parents except food. Food was about 30 points higher than either of the parents. No inbreeding, both parents were tamed wild. 

Check the ancestors' list and see if it says 1/20 in mutations on either of the parents. If it doesn't, then it's just an "ordinary" increase in the food stat as melee and food are the only two stats where the baby can have more than either parent (except for mutations that is).

On 11/26/2016 at 1:26 PM, CriD said:

Tip for breeders, once you tame or breed, and you go to check stats, while in inventory simply create a folder for each stat. It won't go away, and its on the dino so always know where to look :)

Plus I like my Inventories organized with spare gear n such, so having folders is a good way to keep what you may need easy access.

@CriD hope you don't mind me asking, but could you provide an example/screenshot of what you mean with creating a folder for each stat?? that seems like a super easy idea compared to what I've been doing.

Archived