Evolution Event: Cross ARK Transfers & More!

Jatheish

On 11/19/2016 at 5:13 AM, MrWrath said:

Gotta add my two cents. 

This will likely become a nightmare. The reason has been stated multiple times so I won't say it all again, but the bottom line is that the Chinese/Brazilian tribes need to be regulated and restricted, not freed and given more ways to exploit the mechanics of the game. 

But, to all of you that are pissed and/or fearful for the safety of your hard work, at least we have a dev team that is working with us to find that happy place. It is not perfect yet. It likely won't be for quite a while. The scope of this game is pretty far-reaching so it may be a while until they find the sweet spot. But they are working on it. They are trying to keep us informed. That is more than you can say for a lot of companies. We can flame em now and solve nothing, or we can get involved in the forums moving forward and hope for the right outcome. We often forget the role we took as early access testers. Just as much as they owe us our money's worth, we owe them some understanding and some cooperation to make the game what it could be. My 3000 hours say that they have been doing a pretty alright job so far.

But it does suck pretty hard when you have to worry constantly that some bullpoop tribe will come in and ruin a great server completely unchecked...

Yea, but the question is are they really listening? most people are strongly opposed to this idea, and i have yet to find someone in the server asking for unlimited transfers. The reason you join a server to play THAT server, I shouldn't have to worry about playing with every other server in the game. I joined to play my server, if I don't like that server I have the freedom to move. That's the point. This has made that pointless and as someone who wants this game to succeed its disheartening to be ignored.

We had a dev come on recently after losing countless animals to people going under the map, the devs response was well that's to bad you don't have screenshots. its hurtful when an entire server agrees that this person who showed up that day, has never played the server and is suddenly able to kill huge amounts of animals is cheating they don't pay more attention or listen to what we have to say.

The purges have begun. Just check YouTube. So much ruined effort and time. Between the wife and I we have 260 DAYS played on our official server. Constantly fending off tyrant tribes to keep our server playable. We've ran them off the server. They've all found new ones, built up, heard this news and are now out for blood. I have 3 tribes breathing down our necks and when the floodgates open on xbox, they'll all be at my door. We're gonna fight, but after it's over win or lose we're done. It won't stop once it's open. No point in wasting your time guys. Either join a large faction or find a new game. Servers where the alpha has beaten everyone into submission has had no resistance while ones that try to maintain a functioning fruitful server don't have the luxury of unimpeded growth.

I think I understand the intent with the cross ark transfers with all items and dinos, as a way to keep the end game interesting for high level players and alpha tribes.  But I think this as a solution dramatically changes the character of the game, as there is no sense of community to limit the behavior of high level tribes intent on griefing and wiping out all lower level beginner players and tribes.  On a given server a sense of community develops that either moderates the alphas aggression towards people trying to get started on the game, or people quickly learn to go to another server and have a shot at building up to be a contender.  When you can simply go from server to server wiping out newbs and young tribes without any community backlash (it aint your home server so there are no repercussions in your community), it makes it inevitable that nothing will moderate the behavior of the massive collectives that seem to really enjoy destroying server after server.  When someone loses weeks of their efforts to a random high level mob that appears and disappears it removes all motivation to try building your own tribe.

I think you will see retention of the more aggressive high level tribes and players and a complete drop off of new people coming and playing what is very much a grinding game.  I think you will drive off those at a mid-level now unable to progress, let alone the complete beginners.  It takes a lot of hours of grinding and building to get to the point where you have a chance of holding your own with this new paradigm of constant wipes and destruction.   Yes, this new character and flavor of the game play will appeal to some, but I think you will find it does not appeal to the majority of your player base that enjoys the unique balance of PVE and PVP that this game provides (or used to) on the PVP servers. 

I would suggest having two tiers of PVP servers, one with cross ark transfer all over the place as you have now, and another tier that does not allow transfers or keeps it to small clusters comprised of one server of each map.

One thing that WC might do to understand the long term implications to their player base would be polling the active players on some sample servers to find out how many want this locked down and how many want the free for all.

On 11/18/2016 at 0:45 PM, Jat said:

Could you elaborate please, would like to know your thoughts :)

3 shotting dead worm with my giga is not challenging. 

GIga are on a completly different lv when it come to power . Imprint giga alot of work but dam losing 200 hp fighting an alpha death worm is something

Edited by Carcajou

Cross ARK transfers need to be stopped. How is this fair? I not only have to worry about being raided on my own server now I have to worry about being raided by every server out there. I for one refuse to buy SE until the devs can get their heads out of the clouds and fix the existing bugs and glitches before introducing more content. Cross ARK transfer could be a game breaker for me. I joined a server I wanted to play on I don't have the time to be jumping from server to server. This game is a great concept and I love it but I am not going to put up with being wiped by server jumpers should that happen, and happen it will and continue playing this game. 

15 hours ago, BoboOfTheFriendlies said:

I think I understand the intent with the cross ark transfers with all items and dinos, as a way to keep the end game interesting for high level players and alpha tribes.  But I think this as a solution dramatically changes the character of the game, as there is no sense of community to limit the behavior of high level tribes intent on griefing and wiping out all lower level beginner players and tribes.  On a given server a sense of community develops that either moderates the alphas aggression towards people trying to get started on the game, or people quickly learn to go to another server and have a shot at building up to be a contender.  When you can simply go from server to server wiping out newbs and young tribes without any community backlash (it aint your home server so there are no repercussions in your community), it makes it inevitable that nothing will moderate the behavior of the massive collectives that seem to really enjoy destroying server after server.  When someone loses weeks of their efforts to a random high level mob that appears and disappears it removes all motivation to try building your own tribe.

I think you will see retention of the more aggressive high level tribes and players and a complete drop off of new people coming and playing what is very much a grinding game.  I think you will drive off those at a mid-level now unable to progress, let alone the complete beginners.  It takes a lot of hours of grinding and building to get to the point where you have a chance of holding your own with this new paradigm of constant wipes and destruction.   Yes, this new character and flavor of the game play will appeal to some, but I think you will find it does not appeal to the majority of your player base that enjoys the unique balance of PVE and PVP that this game provides (or used to) on the PVP servers. 

I would suggest having two tiers of PVP servers, one with cross ark transfer all over the place as you have now, and another tier that does not allow transfers or keeps it to small clusters comprised of one server of each map.

One thing that WC might do to understand the long term implications to their player base would be polling the active players on some sample servers to find out how many want this locked down and how many want the free for all.

I completely agree.. and WC has already stated that this is a test, more or less, to see how having everything open goes.  I would be in favor of your two pvp server types,  one open and one none,  I would add to the none open what WC has also suggested as one of their potential ideas,  the transfer of SE specific resources and the transfer baby tames/fert eggs, that way players may still incorporate SE into the island as the expansion it is.

14 minutes ago, Ep1cM0nk3y said:

I completely agree.. and WC has already stated that this is a test, more or less, to see how having everything open goes.  I would be in favor of your two pvp server types,  one open and one none,  I would add to the none open what WC has also suggested as one of their potential ideas,  the transfer of SE specific resources and the transfer baby tames/fert eggs, that way players may still incorporate SE into the island as the expansion it is.

Yes, why not have a bunch of different types? As the saying goes, "people will vote with their feet". They will play on the type they like best. If the open is populated, you will know it succeeded. If it is empty, there is your answer as to what people want.

I play PVE, and know that when players are talking about this feature, they generally mean PVP, but it seems wrong that they took a closed PVP server and opened it up. Why didn't they just add more servers?

For PVE, it really makes very little difference that they opened up the transfer. I see a few more quetzals and pteras, but not much else. We have a dire bear now on SE, but pretty much only take it out to get fiber occasionally.

Another way to look at this cross-ark transfer is that it has actually shown very dramatically just how broken PVP in ARK is. All they really did is magnify all the effects that were threatening to make it not work and now it seems to have been the straw that broke the camels back (at least from what I read here, since I don't play it, I've never liked the offline aspect of it).

2 hours ago, KingofArk said:

So when will this feature become active on xbox, it's already next week, can we get a ETA so we all can start preparing fully.

You should already be preparing. It says the 23rd which is tomorrow. They should have added a change where black beach on the island is red. Make it more cinematic for the coming bloodbaths.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 11:48 AM, holyshackle said:

50+ raiding tribes are going to use the already massive amount of servers they have to raid every server, ruining the entire community people have built up on offical servers over the year of playing with each other.

VDD have 100+ players 10+ islands servers and guess what, they have my server targeted, I'm not going to give them the chance to offline raid me so I'm de-spawning my base and hoping onto another game.

This is great news, congrats to VDD.  Long live the winners.  I'm excited for the transfers....woot.

Edited by mronemanmob

So will this cross transfer work on Xbox? And if so I think it's going to be great! In fact just before the update I logged into the SE official server I play on and found a wild wyvern spawned inside my base and wiped out 75% of my Dino's without causing any damage to structures. Now I will be able to move over a few flyers and kibble to get taming again :-) I sure hope the "wild spawn in base" problem has been fixed so 3 months of work is not wasted.

I only play on PvE servers and this will make it so much easier to rebuild and experiment with having Dino's from Center & Island. I beleave this will be a fun update and make the game more flexible and keep it fresh.

And would there be an official place where I could give my opinions on the new update so the devs at least have my Outlook on this new update?

1 hour ago, SneakESnake said:

You probably should have disallowed obelisk building 3 out of 3 servers I tried to join had the obs blocked or turreted.

So that doesn't actually stop you from joining. Also if they are trying to stop you from bringing in your dinos, they also need to block every singe loot drop. Also as I read earlier, if you bring a good metal tool with you for destroying a stone foundation, you can likely break a foundation blocking one of those and then just bring the dinos in anyway.

But yes, from what I've heard (I haven't tested this myself), many official PVP servers are now very hostile to any new player. As far as they are concerned, you could be the scout for an invasion that will happen a few days later. Some previously "friendly" servers now want no new players.

4 minutes ago, wildbill said:

So that doesn't actually stop you from joining. Also if they are trying to stop you from bringing in your dinos, they also need to block every singe loot drop. Also as I read earlier, if you bring a good metal tool with you for destroying a stone foundation, you can likely break a foundation blocking one of those and then just bring the dinos in anyway.

But yes, from what I've heard (I haven't tested this myself), many official PVP servers are now very hostile to any new player. As far as they are concerned, you could be the scout for an invasion that will happen a few days later. Some previously "friendly" servers now want no new players.

True I can join, but if I wanted to switch "cross ark" to another server then I cant upload from these servers and will be stuck there if I find I dont like it. I'm refering to tames. I dont think they can be uploaded at obs.

Edited by SneakESnake

7 minutes ago, SneakESnake said:

True I can join, but if I wanted to switch "cross ark" to another server then I cant upload from these servers and will be stuck there if I find I dont like it. I'm refering to tames. I dont think they can be uploaded at obs.

Hmm, not sure what you mean. Yes, your tames can be uploaded at an oby. You just can't have anything in their inventory, including a saddle. The inventory will not upload. Your character is different, you can upload it with stuff in the inventory. I've head though that the hot bar stuff sometimes doesn't make it through, and the one time I did it, I lost one hotbar item. It think the rest of my inventory was OK though. Also heard some items don't transfer, or randomly fail to transfer. The whole process still seems very buggy.

20 hours ago, GamerPerfection said:

No, you'll be able to transfer any time you want.

while still having a 12 hour cool down window before tribes can transfer again correct ? Also , Just throwing this out there.. 

1.) I like the concept behind this , , I WISH it extended from pve to pvp and in and out of prim plus !!! ( Yes I know in that case it is a .. Never ever gonna happen many issues , engrams etc etc   , But I have a dream!)

2.) In stead of a 12 hour cool down , maybe 48 or 72 hours ? again , I'm just throwing this out . Myself I play on pve  these days (  Way less eastern troll problems ) perhaps it is the 12 hours that has the balk of my fellow testers worried ?  come on guys , lend a comment here .

3.) Now here is where I make a LOT of people even my self kinda upset, 
The answer is not always " Just add more servers" Servers take more funding to run then you may think. Though they do not break the bank for 95% of us , people , We are talking about maintaining , (OVER .... 9000!!!!!  lol had to get in a pun ) For real though , They are pushing close to 2000 ? GP correct me on this one, as I am only referring to the Xbox. 
Now Add in the OFFICIAL servers for pc 
Now ADD IN what they plan to launch with for play station.

EVERY ONE OF YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BUY A TRIPPLE A 65$ TITLE ( BF, CoD , Battlefront , HomeFront, etc etc etc etc etc ) AND NOT BE ABLE TO LOG ONTO A SERVER SINCE THERE IS NOT ENOUGH SERVERS TO PLAYERS TO GO AROUND!! 
Sure we had a bumpy launch last year , but wildcard of all things has scored a 9.5 ( out of ten) ON HAVING ENOUGH SERVERS, It took them what .. less then a week?

So No the answer is not more servers, I get on now .. and frankly . I would let the shoe drop .

if servers did not maintain a player count above ... 25-30 ? for more then .... say 7 or 8 hours of peak region play time, that server would go yellow , 
Yellow means a server will be merged with another server " Attention players will will be moving you from X over to server X please gather everything you need and proceed to your closest obelisk , thank you , .. women and children first"  and given I think 7 days is MORE then enough time , as in 7 days the players that are the core players that are on that server will learn of this and get on , and transfer to the asigned ( or another NON YELLOW, or red )server
Servers that had less then 10 people would be marked red  , and those servers would receive the same notice as the yellow , they would just filter to a different reuse.
The yellow servers would be recycled  and devided between all game formats ( NOT PLATFORMS, ) for use later down the road for .. cough SotF cough 
The red servers would become extinction servers.. 
Now I know that may sound horrible But THIS IS A BETA TEST ( Not Alpha)!!! I honestly expect there to be some form of a server cleanse, How else once the game goes to full launch and is in store shelves would ALL OF YOU  feel about getting this amazing shinny brand new fresh out of the box game , only to log in online to find All these maps filled with clutter , empty bases , alpha tribes going around slaughtering all the new players to the game ? 
It would drive me insane. ( More then I already am )

Now looking at everyone's worry into this mix

( Now tac onto this roaming tribes server jumping on pvp ,  just clearing the map.  every 12 hours.)  granted that is pvp

A longer window between transfers would alleviate  this , Perhaps.. 
We already have enough issues on pvE with trolls building on resource spawns. 
Now I know this seems like a long read so far, to that , thank you to those that hung in there and read all of it.

I think I hit on everything here at the moment again , these are just the ravings of a  stressed mother and a devoted ark player. I have my best thoughts once , the kids , and husband are asleep. Once I stop listening to the voices in my head. 

Edited by BladedRose