Evolution Event: Cross ARK Transfers & More!

Jatheish

I am a week one player, on a day one server, and still play nearly every day.  We are proud of our server where, like others, the top tribes have negotiated a peace and work together to keep our server a place where beginning tribes can flourish without being wiped as soon as they pose a potential threat.  This change, I fear, will make a year's worth of work easily ruinable.  If huge raiding tribes can descend on any server, establish an impregnable base within the first hour, and wipe all extant tribes, why bother to play at all?  Yes, it is PvP and we have survived that environment for a year whilst building bases and defensive strategies that are based on threats from our server.  How can any tribe, or even solo server, compete fairly with multi-server mega tribes who thrive on kicking down sandcastles and decapitating snowmen?

Wildcard, you folks have created a truly unique game that will certainly go down in gaming history.  Please monitor this transition closely.  If your intent is to remove all stability from PvP servers and turn that half of the game into a bloody, never-ending free-for-all please communicate that openly.  I don't want to waste another 1000 hours only to have my efforts ruined and heartbroken by vindictive griefers writ large.

48 minutes ago, Paul080576 said:

I don't play PVP, but couldn't you just play on an Extinction server so it would get wiped all the time?  Wouldn't that solve your issues? 

a) No-one plays extinction, so there's no PVP there.

b) There's no oceanic extinction as far as I'm aware.

c) Unofficial servers are more or less extinction but they do it better, and they are more varied (This is what I primarily do now).

d) The 1 month wipe cycle is too short.  I'm not suggesting that the official servers should be wiped monthly, nothing of a sort.  But I do think that 6-12 months is more than enough time to enjoy the early and mid-game, get to max level, claim the server and say mission accomplished.

e) Me going and playing extinction doesn't solve the problem that Wildcard just endorsed cheaters and gave us a meaningless platitude of "We'll really ban them next time, we promise" while allowing them to maintain their server dominance where their sole objective is tear harvesting.  Not fun competitive PVP.

f) If I was playing extinction and we were 2 weeks through the wipe cycle and tribes were duping/cheating I'd still expect them to get banned and/or the server to be wiped.

Does that about answer it for you?

43 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

Sounds like you werent playing on a real pvp server and wouldn't last on one anyway, no offense. I just find it odd that people want to play on pvp and not worry about getting raided/wiped. Just play PVE, problem solved, and you dont have to build ridiculous amounts of base defenses. 

I've never seen being wiped/raided as being an issue until recently it had happened to my base, only to show me absolutely nothing in the tribe logs to give me some sense of direction as to who to retaliate against. I'm going to throw myself into the category of people that you're addressing when you tell them to "just go play PvE" and my response to you would be: No. I don't want to play PvE just to avoid toxic players who have the sole intentions of bringing wyverns over to the Island servers and wiping EVERYONE and getting away with it. I want to be able to enjoy PvP with other Tribes, while still being able to have that thrill of going at war with some other not so friendly tribes that I'd eventually meet. What they are doing isn't PvP, it's exploiting the once broken system and griefing everyone that they can stumble upon just for gits and shiggles.

Why anyone would go to a pvp server to play in peace makes no sense to me. Im glad the pvp scene will be shaken up, and glad alpha tribes are getting scared, it needed to happen. This will make for some nice cross server espionage and possibly get people to band together to fight the multiserver tribes who are dominating. Imo, that is far more interesting than "keeping the peace" and turning pvp into glorified pve.

5 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

Why anyone would go to a pvp server to play in peace makes no sense to me. Im glad the pvp scene will be shaken up, and glad alpha tribes are getting scared, it needed to happen. This will make for some nice cross server espionage and possibly get people to band together to fight the multiserver tribes who are dominating. Imo, that is far more interesting than "keeping the peace" and turning pvp into glorified pve.

While that sounds lovely the reality will be that VDD will come raid your base at 4am from under the ground and because you weren't there to film it in triplicate WC will just give them a pat on the back.

9 minutes ago, Smash said:

While that sounds lovely the reality will be that VDD will come raid your base at 4am from under the ground and because you weren't there to film it in triplicate WC will just give them a pat on the back.

Not worried. I have plenty of fun living as a lone rogue on pvp, staying low and undetected, with no base or just poop shacks here and there. I dont need a hundred dinos and a massive base to have fun. I can get wiped and move on with no regrets.

I mean nobody any disrespect but I think people are too attached to "tame dinos, build big base" as the way to play. The moment you do this you are a target, where in my situation, I might be a target but I will never truly be found. Maybe they will find a stash, and thats fine because I dont keep all my eggs in one basket :) Im just trying to say there are more ways to play than the traditional path.

Edited by Sh4rk

8 minutes ago, Sh4rk said:

Not worried. I have plenty of fun living as a lone rogue on pvp, staying low and undetected, with no base or just poop shacks here and there. I dont need a hundred dinos and a massive base to have fun. I can get wiped and move on with no regrets.

I mean nobody any disrespect but I think people are too attached to "tame dinos, build big base" as the way to play. The moment you do this you are a target, where in my situation, I might be a target but I will never truly be found. Maybe they will find a stash, and thats fine because I dont keep all my eggs in one basket :) Im just trying to say there are more ways to play than the traditional path.

I wouldn't say people are too "attached" to taming dinos and building big bases, when that seems to be the main objective of this game.. I mean, working together and using tames to your advantage seems to be a key concept of the box art imo but hey, that's just me.

And not saying your play style is incorrect either, I've met a few like you and actually befriended them after caging them :)

I think every server should be a cluster server, with the island, center, and scorched earth with a 100 player cap. And  you can transfer anything you want but only within your cluster. If you wish to transfer to a different cluster you can only transfer your player. Just my two cents either way I love the game and spend more time than I care to admit, keep up the good work and thank you for being more informative with the community!

If a large group of players get together to beat VDD and similar multi-server tribes, I could hop on that bandwagon. Otherwise I'll be blissfully causing trouble on a smaller scale from server to server :) 

Edit: As a side note, I think this change opens the door for more gameplay than people think initially, such as cross server commerce and large scale battles unlike the offline raiding you usually see, or the "drop dinos to soak turret damage while shooting rockets" tactic. Sure this poses a threat to the alpha tribes that are used to regulating one server, but it really brings a new and exciting meta to Ark if you think outside the box. This game, like any other early access title, is meant to and will change. Players will adapt and VDD is on top of things, deservingly if cheating/exploiting wasn't the case. If WC cracks down on it like they say they will, then those who are against VDD and the like, have no less power than those within their ranks. Its time Ark reaches the next level and I feel this is it. It will certainly create some interesting and passionate stories!

Food for thought :)

Edited by Sh4rk

I thinks it's a little unfair that now im stuck in pvp clusters with my highest level character and stuck with the looming threat of all my hard work being burned down by some guy who bought the dlc and has a dragon which happened recently. Even worse is I joined ark before they had those filters that tell you what's a pvp server and what isn't, so I had no idea going into it that it was pvp. But now I wanna move to pve but me and my tribe are stuck with people we have no chance of standing against if they turn on us

Why all of this for? People and the devs seem to forget that the game is scheduled to be released next month in December after it's summer release with no release date was already delayed and still we have no release date for next month. Not only that we still have no optimization for either the PC or Xbox versions. Hell, the Xbox version still needs major graphical upgrades to. It's miles behind the PC version. Please for those of us who purchased your game in order to support the development of it for the love of god optimize it already. We are going on two years now since the game was released in it's preview status which it still currently is in as we speak. What's the hold up? You guys are adding all these different things to the game that take away from the core developement of the game itself  but won't optimize the game. It's backwards. Most if not all studios put out a game first and if there are any optimization issues or glitches that need to be worked out they fix them then come out with paid or free content. I really believe that by you guys providing all these free and paid content so early before the game even releases along with these events that you hold every month for a game that hasn't even been fully released yet is just smoke and mirrors for yet another delay because you refuse to work on the core game itself. It will hurt the games longevity in the long run. you'll only have yourselves to blame once the number of people actually playing your game drops significantly which is already starting to happen by the way, you'll see. I'm sure most people would agree that paid and free content is supposed to help a games popularity and longevity not kill it before it even releases . Good luck Wild Card. Hope you guys really know what your doing.

I believe that the naysayers always tell loudest. I think that experimenting is a great idea. That is why they say it is still in development. I like that they don't just listen to all the negative. This is a game and a fun game at that, otherwise why would anyone even care?

" Instead of pointing out all the problems, find solutions"

- Henry Ford

I also never agree to just banning something because it is easier. Why not allow these changes, and come up with a way where everyone can have there cake and eat it too? ??

Kudos to Jat and the wild card team. It really takes courage to try something new especially when there are so many critics and haters out there. You guys have a hard job and it seems it like everyone hates you at times for things that are opinion as much as fact. I have noticed how hard you guys are picked on no matter what you say to explain your very reasonable and grateful logic. Please don't let the negative pull you guys down. Those people are the reason I stick to my single player game, or only share with friends and family. I quickly learned that there are to many of them for my admitted way shorter tolerance level then yours. But I really enjoy spending some time after a long hard day at work just playing in the beautiful world you guys have created. I love having the ability to do almost anything, build anything, and just play with my Dino's and wyverns. 

From your legion of admirers may we not always remain secret. Love you guys and your amazing hard work. 

??

3 hours ago, chaosguy67 said:

Wiped by a transfer tribe overnight..

Silly question, but can I ask what the difference was between being wiped by a transfer tribe over one on your server? Just curious.

Outside of that, there just needs to be more strategy involved in PvP. It's extremely time consuming to build up and very fast to fall down. I think the transfers are just going to add additional fuel to a fire that's already burning away. There's some major balance issues in ARK that need addressing before release.