[MegaThread] Dino Re-balance Discussion

Jackomo

Forgive me for not being able to give the specific reference, but I'm sure I read an interview excerpt with the developers explaining that a miscommunication is what resulted in tamed Dinos having much higher stats than intended. I don't think this is a recent thing and I don't think this is in response to new player complaints....and, boy, they sure can complain.  

As a veteran player, you should should know that this game is constantly changing and adjusting and we shouldn't panic.  It's our agreement with the developers that we try this stuff out while they continue to add and tinker with the game.  I imagine this will get tweaked or adjusted as they monitor it.  I could be wrong  

I'm hoping they separate gather and melee stats as others have suggested, which would help a lot.  I also appreciate that we have to be tactical and careful with our tames and not charge in and demolish everything.  I'm not happy about it....lol, but I appreciate it.  

If anything, I've seen players complain about the game getting too easy...well, they fixed that!  

Of course, this is just my opinion. I'm taking a wait and see approach.  Since I really enjoy this game, I'm willing to give the developers the benefit of the doubt, until  this game is completely finished, 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I did deliberately ignored your point because so many are raving about how this is such a good thing but only taking into account one single aspect of what this affected. It hugely affected other areas of the game besides combat.

I'll also say that if a T-Rex in this game shouldn't be able to down a large herbivore easily, then a Giga should not be able to eat Stone Structures because that is just as absurd.

What also sucks is all it takes too is some instigator making a new character and start whispering "He said, she said". It's a shame that people bring more personal drama into a game meant for entertainment than need be. Yes, some people are old enough to know there will always be that "one guy", but when kids jump on here and start flapping their jaw spitting out racket, just so they can feel huge behind a keyboard. Its sort of sad. It'll come to, one tribe on Official Servers, with nothing to do. The PVP is awesome and needed for a game like this, but I do believe there needs to be limits on owned dinos per tribe. What is the purpose of a tribe of 5 owning 300+ dinos, other than the fact, they want to be a "Do as I say, not as I do" type of person. Noobs stand no chance as it is and never will with someone who gets to stay home all day and bond their ass to their office chair.

Put a bit mroe thougth into it since my SteamPost ;)

I agree with the fact that a nerf had to happen to tamed Animals, but I also agree that this was way over the top. As mentioned before I think a nerf about 25% of the pre-patch value could've been enough to nerf lower lvl tames but keep breed still viable. As this is a survival game i agree that taming one lvl 20 raptor shouldn't be enough to make it easy.

Also I have always been wandering why gathering is coupled with melee damage. I mean I get that a MAmmoth strong enough to root out several trees with one push also packs a bit of a punch but the way it was was ridiculous. My gathering pets where almost as strong if not stronger than my fightig pets. 

I admit that you could just tweak the gathering amoutn for specific fauna on the ARK so the new values are closer to the ones pre-patch. but i think a compelte sepperation from gathering and melee dmg would be better. You yould even make the two stats linke so that if you up melee dmg you get a bit of gatehring as well and vice versa. But I haven't worked in the game industry before so this is just a players suggestion :3

Nerfing everything to the ground isn't balance. This is something the devs have yet to understand. The only thing that absolutely needed nerfing was the giga, but I heard it barely got nerfed. I'm going to record some tests tonight when I get home to see gathering rates, damage etc. But if what I'm hearing is right, and people are getting almost as much metal with a pick as they are with a high level anky, then something is definitely wrong there.

OP - Fantastic post.

Based on the 5 minutes I was on today before I ragelogged, and the insane amount of rage that was being directed towards the devs in my servers global chat. ARK is now totally broken.

Unless this "Patch" is rolled back. I will no longer be playing ARK, as Im sure more then a few others will be as well.

While I've not been able to log on yet to verify what everyone has said. If it turns out to be as bad as it sounds i'll like just take a break and log to feed dinos/maintain base. If/when they fix the gathering I'll return. There's no point in spending time farming if all the reports hold true about gathering dinos. While i agree a raptor shouldn't be able to take a rex, I don't think a hand tool should be able to outfarm a dino raised specifically for farming. 

So I've played since the end of July on my server, built up a pretty sizable dino army, and have played casually off and on since then. I recently got back into Ark (5+ hours a day) during winter break, and it was great. I loved the winter event, loved the snow adjustment, and the Kangaroo is a bunch of fun. 

But this change makes no logical sense. I can understand why this was implemented: tamed dinos were over powered and anyone who tells you differently is a liar. But isn't there a happy middle ground? My tribe has spent countless days taming, raising, and leveling our dino army, and now all of our dinos would simply die to turrets within minutes. 

Why not make wild dinos stronger? That would be an easier solution than this.

Why not nerf turrets and plant turrets? If our tamed dinos are weaker, aka the offensive part of raids for most tribes, then the defensive mechanics should be nerfed as well to balance out the game.

Why is the only line in the patch notes " - Tamed Dino Balance Adjustment " about this nerf? Why are there no other details about why this change was made? This seems like the Devs don't want to offer explanations for why this nerf was implemented. 

Why was this patch thrown in on the 5th of January, rather than the 6th when it was initially slated for? It seems like the devs sprung this nerf on all the players and it makes no sense. 

I would wager that the devs will change this back once they notice that the majority of their players stop playing after this, because while the tamed dinos were kind of broken, they were not this broken and I think other parts of the game could have been balanced to improve the overall gameplay. 

This patch makes no sense. It seems like the devs are catering to the weakest players of the game, where all the veteran players who stuck around struggled for their survival. Once you struggle, you learn how to survive and stop struggling. And then you move on and get rewarded by more powerful dinos. Now, because people can't figure out how to survive on their own, we cater to them so they won't be killed and never struggle in the game, and those that have struggled are now punished for playing and being good at the game. 

What a joke.

A decent nerf would have been okay.  Now it's basically Rust with some dinosaurs here and there.  They are useless.  This game is about getting the biggest baddest strongest dino, building huge and powerful bases, and dominating.  We WORKED to find the right dinos, spent hours leveling them, spent even more hours breeding them to get the best offspring.  We deserve to have fun with the fruits of our labor.

Good thing the option to change it in the .ini is coming soon, I guarantee most unofficial servers will be reverting to how it originally was.

3 hours ago, MOKST4R said:

I agree that people are lying about it but I think the reason this nerf Is so bad is because some people have spent ridiculous amounts of time taming dinosaurs and playing this game and now it is all wasted I personally have wasted 800 odd hours of my life playing this game and now all my dinos are crap im not lying my 213 argy had 5k hp and 1.3k dmg and now it has 2k hp and 349 dmg and that's the sort of thing annoys me so much, 95% of people on my server have been badly affected as many other servers have and peoplehae worked really hard for these good dinos its not easy to get 120 perfect tames on rexes and quetzals some tames take to much time for people to do and there is nothing they can do to get good dinos in my opinion the game was already hard enough and the good dino tames were already difficult

To play devils advocate....they can trade for them.

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Warning, moron alert.

Complaining that the game is now completely fekking broken isn't QQ. I was in the middle of constructing a stone fortress in the northern biome, guess I can pretty much just halt all construction on that now. Not going to gather tens of thousands of stone with a goddamned hatchet.

I can see it being more of an issue on a PvE server since all you do is build. As a PvP player this is a welcomed change. 

Just now, Expendable10 said:

This patch makes no sense. It seems like the devs are catering to the weakest players of the game, where all the veteran players who stuck around struggled for their survival. Once you struggle, you learn how to survive and stop struggling. And then you move on and get rewarded by more powerful dinos. Now, because people can't figure out how to survive on their own, we cater to them so they won't be killed and never struggle in the game, and those that have struggled are now punished for playing and being good at the game. 

What a joke.

Absolutely. My reward for struggling and dying and SURVIVING against the relentless danger of the island was settling myself in a bit better, getting a better base up, acquiring dinos that made constructing bigger and better bases easier. NOT ANY MORE, THOUGH! Want to build a giant stone dino pen? That Doed you spent hours taming ain't gonna help you now, better bust out your goddamned hatchet.

What a fekking joke this patch is. It's like the devs all got wasted on New Year's Eve and just shoved up on the servers whatever code happened to drunkely pour from their hands into the computers. It's an absolute joke.

Archived