[MegaThread] Dino Re-balance Discussion

Jackomo

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New patch just dropped on PC that effectively Nerfed tamed (and wild) dino's by ~85%.

That means the 120 spino you just spent 8+ hours taming is now about as powerful as a wild raptor and can be killed by a player with a pike with little to no effort. As you can imagine, people are less then pleased with this change and have been ranting and raging non-stop since its implementation.

And people who play PvE, don't think this doesn't effect you. Your 2000 melee damage Anky that used to be able to wreck a metal node with one hit? Well he is now less effective (and can carry much less) than a player with a primitive metal pick.

Essentially dino's are now vanity items and not worth the time and effort required to acquire and train them. Except maybe flyers purely for mobility's sake (but be careful because a journeyman long rifle can probably drop your quetz as easily as it used to drop a pteradon).

Hopefully the community outrage will cause them to make some adjustments before the Xbox patch drops, but don't hold your breath.

Just thought I should give you a heads up.

:poop:

19 minutes ago, CyberQuack said:

I believe you should think twice this time... Players were not nerfed, and wild dinos were not buffed.

But i believe you are asking for wild dino's to be buffed... that will make starting even more difficult, and the problems with the balance aren't in the early stages of the game, the balance problems are at a high level. 

This hurts anything to do with breeding, building, crafting. You can gather more by hand than a max tamed harvesting dino on official, hell I can kill a rex quicker with a pike than my tamed rex can, there's NO balance in that. It's impossible to farm cementing paste with a frog now. Your dino consumes more meat regenning stamina than you get from a kill with it, you cannot get enough meat to feed a baby dino. This really screwed things that shouldn't have been screwed up and now alot of dinos will be lost just because you can't get enough to feed them.

Do Not : Add the same balance/mechanic to everything.

Do Not : Include Bosses.

Do Not : Patch before testing.

Do Not : Answer the wrong question in Digest.

Do : Test and Play your game.

Do : Take your time to balance every dino individual.

Do : Listen to players with 1000 or more ingame hours.

Do : Communicate with the community

This refering to the latest patch adding buggy dino collision making your fall throug every dino and taking dismount damage from every mount,not to mention glitched platforms where players fall off.

This refering to the latest patch adding flee mechanics including Alphas,Giganotosaurus,Broodmother,Rexes and what not making it near impossible to propely tame and the wild dino suiciding on something else.

This refering to the latest patch rendering every dino usseles including but not limited to Harvesters and Meat/Berry farming for breeding.

This refering to promised fixes that still are not fixed as of date including but not limited to, Harvesting bug and Dinos Loading before Structures,

I thank you for your time and I hope it was helpfull.

2 hours ago, HighFlyer15 said:

2) You'll actually need to bring out a pack if you want to hunt bigger prey.

Taking out a pack right now would be plain dumb, you would lose more than you'd ever gain. The follow AI is so terrible that more than two following causes the others to go away from you until they are out of range. We've tried that many times with wolves and it does not work, you're lucky to get 2 at most to stay on you or you have raptors that fly over everything and get stuck. Until the AI for that gets a massive improvement, pack hunting is a pipe dream.

Just now, Cruiz said:

Taking out a pack right now would be plain dumb, you would lose more than you'd ever gain. The follow AI is so terrible that more than one following causes the others to go away from you until they are out of range. We've tried that many times with wolves and it does not work, you're lucky to get 2 at most to stay on you or you have raptors that fly over everything and get stuck. Until the AI for that gets a massive improvement, pack hunting is a pipe dream.

Only made the point since the "alpha" pack buff will be introduced later. It's more of a "down the line" thing I like about the patch :) And yes, the following and AI in general needs a massive overhaul before hunting in packs will become a thing. Sadly.

i honestly think they need to separate gathering from meele damage i been playing on hardcore my fights take longer but smarts win over not thinking and some peopel pump into one stat melle hoping to one shot everything then this patch there health is even lower fight is longer boom there dead.

this is the best post i have seen in the steam forum for ages

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/451850020337159782/

but really the nerf is good just separate gathering

With almost 1300 hours on record in this game, and experience in both PVP, PVE, and Private Servers, I am calling BS on this entire patch. The simple fact that I can hand collect more then I can with my dinos is laughable at best. The Dev's have finally broken this game beyond repair, and its all because of the inexperienced players constantly complaining on the forums. 

This post isn't about "shut up cry babies" cause everyone is allowed their opinions, this post is about the veteran players, 500 Hours plus, who don't come to the forums to praise the game and balance out the new player complaints. We are ont he same path as RUST, and for the exact same reason.

I am so tired of new players who don't understand the dynamics or balance of the game thinking its too hard. I am tired of the players who come on server that don't understand that gathering things by hand is futile, and you NEED to tame dino's. I would venture to guess 75% of the new population to this game doesn't understand the order in which you should tame dino's, and the way to gather materials properly in order to maximize your time spent in game.

While I do agree with them that the Gig is Op, but not by 30%, maybe 10 or 15, that's not a reason to nerf ALL dino's in the game. I mean how are you supposed to breed when your level 221 bred Rex is only getting 4 meat per kill? Its nearly impossible to be able to keep up a farm with that amount, let alone breed baby dino's who eat 400+ meat ever 20 minutes. The game is literally BROKEN now, and that's not even to mention crafting issues like converting to metal. The Anky was just powerful enough to get enough metal to sustain a decent size metal base in a few days of grinding, now your talking weeks / months of grinding 12 to 15 hours a day in order just to sustain a metal base with turrets / bullets and be defended against giga attacks. 

The reason this is happened is the inexperienced players come to the forums daily to complain, while us veteran players are playing the game, maintaining, feeding, breeding our dinos, and have barely enogh time to come here to praise what was once this amazing game. 

Please Dev's stop listening to players with little to no experience, while I understand their complaints, you need to listen to those of us who have actually experienced and lived through ALL of the game content. in order to truly balance this game. I am not saying that new player feedback is useless, I am saying that they haven't really experienced the game at higher levels in order to really take stock of what is balanced and what isn't.

Thanks for listening.

7 minutes ago, Cruiz said:

Taking out a pack right now would be plain dumb, you would lose more than you'd ever gain. The follow AI is so terrible that more than two following causes the others to go away from you until they are out of range. We've tried that many times with wolves and it does not work, you're lucky to get 2 at most to stay on you or you have raptors that fly over everything and get stuck. Until the AI for that gets a massive improvement, pack hunting is a pipe dream.

Uhm, I hope you realize lol. That surviving with dinosaurs is the point of the game and packs are another part

My thought is... the wild was too easy... they added alpha's. You needed either a high lvl rex or a mid lvl argy to take care of 'm. They were an addition to the game that made it more dangerous to go out... that was a +. The negative side: people spend more time in the air. 

Once people with hundreds of hours in the game found it easy again, the high lvl people started complaining: and hence: the giganotosaurus. Personally, i don't like 'm... i love how they look, but i don't like the size or power at all. Again: you either tame one, tame a quetzal and shoot it from the air or run for your life. 

And now there's this nerf... to all tamed dino's. 

And all i think is: all they had to do was nerf the armor of tamed dino's, reduce the stats of flyers so they are not so "OP" (speaking about PVE), and make the wild dino's stronger in the north, and weaker in the south (the more north you go, the higher the levels of the wild dino's get). 
All they did was: make the start of the game that was already the most fun and challenging part of the game harder and more of chore, mid level you're still forced to fly, but upgrading a base is even more of a chore... and it was already borderline a dayjob, and at a high level nothing has really changed...

I don't even remotely understand how the devs thought this would be good... 

TL:DR: the devs have made the start even harder, mid level more of a chore, and hardly any change at a high level. 

I agree they totaly buggered it up.

Maybe they should put in a tutorial so the whiners could learn to play (get the basics even for S.P.)

It's supposed to be hard at the start (you start with nothing) and when u build a shack/small base

it felt good that u got that far (now lets try a b bit further).

B.t.w. I don't have as many hrs as u but what I did play I enjoyed the challange , but now when taming a dino is nearly useless (protection when starting)

compared to the cost in meat to feed the bugger(try getting food for him since patch) it's not worth it.

I have 1200+ hours of gameplay and i've never complained before, but this update will make the game more of a job than fun. The only reason i would still play is that there's no alternative game out there yet (rust is nice but not quite as good, but soon there will be and we will move on. I hope the devs rethink their balancing and make this game reach its full potential instead of ruining it. 

16 minutes ago, ImpureFrost said:

Uhm, I hope you realize lol. That surviving with dinosaurs is the point of the game and packs are another part

Yeah no kidding that surviving with them is the point. He pointed out that you should bring out a pack if you want to hunt bigger prey. But when I can use a pike and kill a wild rex quicker and easier than my tamed rex can... something is wrong. And it's often the case that you end up fighting more than one dino now due to the flee mechanic, so what you're trying to kill runs towards more aggressive dinos, or swarms of bugs.... yeah it does not work out very well no matter how you try to sugar coat it.

I can harvest more using a hand tool than a maxed harvesting dino can, yeah that's not broken... Breeding is pointless now, just futile. You can't get enough meat fast enough to feed babies. At this point is about surviving with dinos alright, it's surviving on foot against enemy dinos because tamed is pointless now.

Is it too crazy to say i think most herbivores didn't need a nerf... The biggest issues concerning balance (in my view) is the over-use of fliers, and the general "OP-ness" of carnivores (yes, all of them). 
Carnivores in the dino age hardly ever bothered with hunting full grown stega's, trikes and especially ankylo's. How do scientists know that? There's a lot of fossils of killed juveniles with a lot of damage, but hardly any signs of predators attacking full grown ones. A couple of t-rex would not attack a grown herbivore... why not? Well... they are waaaay to dangerous, a full grown trike could kill a large predator (also fossil records for this)... 
So my idea of a better balanced game: Boost wild herbi's and nerf the large predators (really... a raptor was easily killed before... why make it even easier). 

But i probably don't understand what survival is :P

4 minutes ago, panteni87 said:

Is it too crazy to say i think most herbivores didn't need a nerf... The biggest issues concerning balance (in my view) is the over-use of fliers, and the general "OP-ness" of carnivores (yes, all of them). 
Carnivores in the dino age hardly ever bothered with hunting full grown stega's, trikes and especially ankylo's. How do scientists know that? There's a lot of fossils of killed juveniles with a lot of damage, but hardly any signs of predators attacking full grown ones. A couple of t-rex would not attack a grown herbivore... why not? Well... they are waaaay to dangerous, a full grown trike could kill a large predator (also fossil records for this)... 
So my idea of a better balanced game: Boost wild herbi's and nerf the large predators (really... a raptor was easily killed before... why make it even easier). 

But i probably don't understand what survival is :P

Yeah that's why they find the big dino fossils with bullet holes, rocket impacts and pike gouges in them. The op tamed dinos needed to be brought down some but this was done badly and has affected way more than just offensive aspects.

A nerf needed to happen, a lot of Veteran players agree that it was getting silly. But not to the stage that our hands are better than our Farm spec'ed dinos. The point of getting better dino's was to make the grind less and now there isn't really much difference. You are now wasting your time farming all that for a 120 tame. The time looking, planning and doing the taming is now pretty redundant. They have marginal benefits.

I'm going to go as far as saying this has strengthened troll tribes, whether they are Chinese hackers or not. But this patch has fed straight into their hands. 3 people being able to pike down a Rex? Good grief we may have gone a little too far with this Patch.

The giganto is still the supreme ruler and you have strengthened tribes who have them. They still need a nerf, especially the Wild version. 

A lot of people could be over-re-acting but when you have basically gut punched half the community who have spent hours upon hours, taming, nurturing and working out the best stats etc and made their 'babies' worthless you are going to get emotional and angry outbursts from people. Why? Because of the amount of time they have to invest, the more time means more attachment. 

To make this Nerf make sense, the breeding process needs to have food nerfed. It's time nerfed. Only big tribes have access to breeding now, locking off content from others.  Thats not fair, between two of us we raised two baby argents(they were twins). Meat farming all the time on level 16 tamed carnos.. It was painful and I don't think mid-tier tribes could get away with this now.

You need to fix the saddles. Why does carno eggs tame a trike? Why do you need to be level 50 to make the Carno saddle? Thats going to need to be changed to help lower level players.

Could you also fix the Sabertooh? The wolf harvests better and is cheaper to tame (Carno eggs, Vs Bronto) if we go off it's kibble. 

Will we get buffs to drops, they have been terrible for the last two months? Un-reasonably so. 

Food in general needs a slight tweak if its going to be harder to get.

Being higher level and more progressed should be rewarding because more time has been spent, but it doesn't feel that way anymore.

This is my issue. Yes I'm disappointed that my rex is crappy, that my flock of argents that I've mothered are not worth the time I invested in them as part of my service to my tribe. I just feel that in the grand scheme of things, this wasn't very well thought out.

20 minutes ago, [Con]STANTINE said:

I am so tired of new players who don't understand the dynamics or balance of the game

Me2!

But guess I mean it rather as offense towards you.

If you think the game was before balanced...then sorry, something is wrong.

Before the nerf it was like this:

Oh lets tame..this rex there

- tamed -

Oh, there spawned 10 new rex!

*jumps with new rex into it*

- win -

5 Levels gained. 10k more Health. Lets find a herd of Alpha Rex and kill them too.

I dont see the balance there..

Yea, the nerf did hit hard, maybe too hard. But rather this hard nerf than the OP stuff before.

I (and some other said this too) even didnt noticed a huge loss in the gatherrate, so I cant tell about it. (Maybe some servers are broken and thats why they get 5 stones per doed hit or some other servers are broken and thats why they get almost same amounts as before.)

But well. I think this nerf is a got basis for further adjustments. (Individual dino stat leveling instead of every dino gets X% if you put one point into this; gatherrate adjustment for different dinos, breedingtimes/foodconsumtion and so on)

Lets see how it goes..but for me, the nerf was needed x)

The veterans haven't had any problems with the game until now. Even the Giganoto can be tolerated since we COULD have dinos that are good enough to build our entire base out of metal and beef up defenses... but now we can't even have that. Also, with so many new players around, there are so few dinos spawning and meat is on shortage as it is, so are bugs for cementing paste (we haven't been able to expand our base in 2 weeks). Perfectly tamed ankys doedis mammoths that we spent months gather eggs for (by taming other dinos, lots of them) is now not worth the effort put into getting the kibble... it's a shame how this game is turning out. I say get things back the way they were but empower wild dinos exponentially with higher levels. a level 120 rex should be about the same strength as a tamed level 120 rex with some chance of killing it if the max stats happened to be in health and damage.  

Just now, Cruiz said:

Yeah that's why they find the big dino fossils with bullet holes, rocket impacts and pike gouges in them. The op tamed dinos needed to be brought down some but this was done badly and has affected way more than just offensive aspects.

wow... just wow... do you deliberately miss the point of what i was trying to say? I didn't say "i need mah realism". What i said was: a single t-rex shouldn't be able to so easily down a large herbivore. 

Archived