Spotlight: Oviraptor

Jatheish

• Administrator

large.1448967424_OviGiveEgg.jpg.e60d5b71

large.Oviraptor.jpg.2d392140db67d89bcc24

Despite being a carnivore, Oviraptor’s primary source of food is eggs, which it steals from nests. Unlike any other creature, Oviraptor seems to be able to surreptitiously steal these eggs usually without attracting the attention of an irate mother. In an incredible feat of natural selection, Oviraptor seems to emit a chemical pheromone that affects many creatures as an aphrodisiac. Mated creatures are much more likely to… “create” new fertilized eggs while Oviraptor is around, which allows the Oviraptor to go about its business unperturbed. They also make quite adorable sounds, so many children simply like to keep them as rather strange companions.

large.1448967397_OviStealEgg.jpg.6731ca1

ARK v226 also adds the Ghillie Suit armor set for camouflaged stealth against Dinos and Survivors, the Industrial Oven which enables cooking food on a large scale for an entire Tribe’s army, a Table furniture item upon which small structures can be placed, a Modern Bunk-Bed for faster respawning, plus various optimizations and balancing improvements!

large.1448967150_Ghillie.jpg.b3bb664b9e4

Also ARK’s special holiday sale is coming to a close, so if you haven’t picked up the game yet, you’ve still got time to head to the Steam Autumn Sale where ARK: Survival Evolved is discounted at 40% off! http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110

1 hour ago, iby102 said:

I've found them quite a bit in the forests but it's the long grass areas towards the west coast where I've found hoardes of them.

Ahhh thank you very much. I saw one the other night and managed to tranq it before I looked at its level. My luck held and it was Lvl 92 before taming! Couldn't believe it! And I was so happy I had been hording the Gigas eggs.

Yeh I wouldn't call the sound they make as cute lol.  Kinda painful and scratchy least to me but yeh I got lucky and had one run right into my yard at my Deep Island base not long after I logged in after patch.  Then found a few more running around deep island but might be because all the carnivores killing off creatures (and me killing carnivores) has let them spawn in there.   Not seen any around my more quiet southern base.

I found two on the beach the first day they came out. I have seen others since in the jungle. The one I quick tamed dropped with one crossbow tranc arrow after 5 seconds.

While in my base, it was nothing but trouble when my pets went nuts and charged the walls on three occasions. This was all centered around the Oviraptor. That third time I got a message that one of my flyers killed a wild female. Conclusion, the wild female pteradon were attacking the base which resulted in all the pets retaliating. Solution, I evicted the Oviraptor to the cove and put it on wander.

I have since found that taming requires an insane number of eggs with one type being a favorite.

So the day the update rolled in my buddy and I went online. He didnt want me to wipe all wild dinosaurs, so we both took a ptera each and literally flew all over the island in search for an Ovi.

None where found.
Frustrated he flew to screw around with some dilos and I flew home to do some farming.

Right in front of our front gate stood an Ovi!
Right in front of our PORCH! We fly around like silly for an hour. and here it was. xD
"Good day, sirs. You got a moment to talk about eggs?"
I am surprised it didnt knock!

Archived