Connecting to Private Server Problem

Ok so i set up a dedicated server on my brothers xbox one, put a password on it, and tried to connect to it from my xbox. It shows up on my list of servers and when i try to connect to it it has me put in the password and starts to connect. But after a minute or so it stops trting to connect and i get a comnection time out error. What am i doing wrong to make it so me and some friends can connect to it?

6 minutes ago, EChambers89 said:

How do i do that on xbox, i know how to get into the router and do it.

You actually don't do anything on the Xbox except check the settings. In your router is where the magic happens. You can open your Xbox ports by finding your Xbox IP (Network settings) and opening the correct ports by listing them under that IP, not your routers IP. Unfortunately I am at work at the moment and am not sure of the port numbers for the Xbox so just google them for now. 

47 minutes ago, EChambers89 said:

Ok so my NAT type is open, will i still need to go in and open the 2 ports for the server, just like you would have to do if you were running it on a pc?

Shouldn't have to. That's going to be trial and error. Unfortunately there is no way to check Arks ports so as long as your Xbox is open we will assume Ark is as well. Not always the case though. Most multiplayer games use different ports. 

I think as long as the server Xbox has an open NAT you should be all set. 

nevermind, i got in the game, punched a couple trees, got a level up, and as i was trying to apply the level up points it booted me out and said connection timeout again. i have no idea whats going on with it but i am about to just give up and try to deal with the tether of non dedicated servers, as much as that sucks.

I work for an Internet service as tech support. You problem is that you are running two xbox systems on the same network. With this you have two options. 1) open ports for both systems.  2) set one system to DMZ and open ports on the 2nd system. Both of your systems need to have DHCP assigned to them meaning an ip address that doesn't change. If you don't know how to do it call your ISP or your router mfg. 

I managed to get it working, and its running fine, the problem was the server xbox was running on wireless, i just plugged it in with an ethernet cable and that magically fixed all my problems. Thank you guys for helping me with this though, but ark doesnt like running on wifi, so theres a helpful hint to every one else having problems.

Archived