Best settings for dedicated server?

Hi all,

I am planning to run a second Xbone as dedicated server starting tomorrow. Any good advice as to what the best settings are? Should I keep everything at default? Also, I am still not quite clear about the difference between PVP and PVE. I have read in this forum that in PVP one will get XP for killing other players. Any other differences?

What is the maximum number of players it can host. Is it 50 or 70? I am confused about that.

I am also a little bit concerned about security. Does anyone have any experience exposing their Xboxes to the internet? 

Anything else that will help me get this up and running quickly is highly appreciated. I already created a second account with gold membership and and purchased a second copy of the game.

Thanks!

A good start for your settings is to keep at default for now until you get some players. Once you have a community you can let them vote and you can decide to tweak as needed. :)

PVP is Player versus Player and PVE is Player versus Environment. Difference is the game play style. You either play against other people (players) or with them against the environment (Dinos). 

Security you have full control of. Microsoft has Live pretty secure but you are more than welcome to ask them. Make sure you have a good firewall on your router. If necessary you can lock your server to a password. You also have ban privileges as server admin. 

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

38 minutes ago, Madlax72 said:

Hi all,

I am planning to run a second Xbone as dedicated server starting tomorrow. Any good advice as to what the best settings are? Should I keep everything at default? Also, I am still not quite clear about the difference between PVP and PVE. I have read in this forum that in PVP one will get XP for killing other players. Any other differences?

What is the maximum number of players it can host. Is it 50 or 70? I am confused about that.

I am also a little bit concerned about security. Does anyone have any experience exposing their Xboxes to the internet? 

Anything else that will help me get this up and running quickly is highly appreciated. I already created a second account with gold membership and and purchased a second copy of the game.

Thanks!

I prefer 6x tame, exp and harvest amount. the harvest decay should be low so that trees,bushes, etc. respawns quicker. the food and water drain should be low since it can be ridiculous. the difficulty should be at 1 so there are more chances of higher lvl dinos for taming.

Taming should be maxed player food and water drain usually be around 0.7 or 0.1 Dino food drain you want to turn up to at least 2.9 or 3.0 for taming and realistic Dino feeding. Difficulty can be up to the host I started out 0.4 and now run around on 1.0 harvest amount should be maxed with health being around 2.5 to 3.0. The xp multiplier can either be maxed or at 4.5. Always have the show map player location on. Everything else is mostly left on default. That's for pve settings if PvP then that's mostly entirely on the host.

If looking for players on your future server hit me up Xbox one gt is darkness krad

1 minute ago, TheBullWillWin said:

Harvest Health acutally should be low around 1.0 or less so it trees and bushes take less hits to acquire. Making the number high doesn't make sense. You still get the same amount just with less hits.

True I forgot to mention that. I mostly leave it at where I have it to have alil realistic feel instead of god mode like my buddies on their accounts they host

18 minutes ago, Kenpachi said:

True I forgot to mention that. I mostly leave it at where I have it to have alil realistic feel instead of god mode like my buddies on their accounts they host

Yeah I agree hitting a tree and getting 100 wood out of it is quite ridiculous LOL. I keep it with just 2-3 hits cuz anymore is annoying.

20 minutes ago, TheBullWillWin said:

Yeah I agree hitting a tree and getting 100 wood out of it is quite ridiculous LOL. I keep it with just 2-3 hits cuz anymore is annoying.

True Lol I put it once like that when I did a mass base build between red and blue ark tower and was amazed at how fast I got my builds done. I go back to them settings every now and then for when me and the tribe are building or crafting. Also makes it simple since we have to work with the tether.

Surprised at the amount of people suggesting maxxed out XP rate and gather/tame rate, surely that's just easy mode? Those are the kind of settings I would run on local if I wanted to play in a 'creative mode' type way and test stuff out...if I played the game proper like that I'd get bored so quickly.

or or am I missing something?

1 minute ago, DonThommo said:

Surprised at the amount of people suggesting maxxed out XP rate and gather/tame rate, surely that's just easy mode? Those are the kind of settings I would run on local if I wanted to play in a 'creative mode' type way and test stuff out...if I played the game proper like that I'd get bored so quickly.

I agree. It's a survival game. Part of the fun is the challenge. But to each their own!

10 minutes ago, Madlax72 said:

Thank you all for your help! I have another question. Since the Xbox runs of a single drive it is only a matter of time before it starts to fail. Is there a way to run a backup? Can the Ark data be stored in Microsofts Cloud Service for game saves?

Most likely. It is a saved game file so you can use all normal form of storage. Add an external device maybe?

5 minutes ago, Zorendier said:

I agree. It's a survival game. Part of the fun is the challenge. But to each their own!

Most likely. It is a saved game file so you can use all normal form of storage. Add an external device maybe?

True true.

Yea in theory if it's stored as part of your or a saved game file on your Xbox, then you should be able to make a copy of it to an external HD periodically, right? So you have backups if it corrupts or similar.

let me know how you get on, there's a severe lack of info available on dedicated Xbox servers so we're all guessing a bit at the mo.

I'd suggest making a test world first for a day or two. Leave it running, check I people can connect ok, test doing a back up and then loading from back up etc. check if there any buttons you might accidentally press in the menu that ruins your server.

Once you're happy it's all working ok then start a new proper world up.

2 hours ago, DonThommo said:

you would be correct but that would be a official server were you grind exp out and maybe get 10 levels in 3-4 hours. I work so the boost helps me experience the game better at a faster pace. This game is a very long grinding game and the less grinding I have to do the better it is. I like pvp and pve so for me to experience that more I would like to do less grinding

7 minutes ago, TheBullWillWin said:

you would be correct but that would be a official server were you grind exp out and maybe get 10 levels in 3-4 hours. I work so the boost helps me experience the game better at a faster pace. This game is a very long grinding game and the less grinding I have to do the better it is. I like pvp and pve so for me to experience that more I would like to do less grinding

Fair enough. Each to their own. I work full time too and have limited time, but for me if I get high level and badass too soon in a game I just get bored.  I could understand maybe a bit of a boost, but x6?

i tested out x2 harvesting on a solo game and it felt like cheat mode already. X6 must just be insane. You must get hundreds of thatch from a single tree with a starting pick.

3 hours ago, DonThommo said:

I'd suggest making a test world first for a day or two. Leave it running, check I people can connect ok, test doing a back up and then loading from back up etc. check if there any buttons you might accidentally press in the menu that ruins your server.

I believe everything should be backed up automatically to Xbox Cloud. However, it will only sync the data upon ending the application. I would have to do periodically. Also, I looked into external USB 3 drives that support a mirrored RAID1 configuration. These are quite cheap, so I am thinking to spare a couple of 500GB drives and have some redundancy in the event of a hard drive failure. The Xbox is perfectly capable of running games of a USB drive. Obviously it will not replace a backup, but provides an additional layer of protection against a single HDD failure. I really dislike that we can't simply run a server off a Linux box though. Would make things so much easier. 

2 hours ago, DonThommo said:

Fair enough. Each to their own. I work full time too and have limited time, but for me if I get high level and badass too soon in a game I just get bored.  I could understand maybe a bit of a boost, but x6?

i tested out x2 harvesting on a solo game and it felt like cheat mode already. X6 must just be insane. You must get hundreds of thatch from a single tree with a starting pick.

but that's just the beginning man. When you get into metal structures and guns and all that. that's when it gets crazy hard and grinding.

Archived