ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

I've got some ideas on weapons/tools and their uses. Look 'em up if you aren't sure what I'm talking about and see if you agree

Halberd: Could be a slow weapon with long reach and lots of power. It could maybe ignore a certain % of armor? It would be used with 2 hands and unlocked at lv 30-ish

Greatsword: A large blade capable of massive damage. Not as powerful as a Halberd per-strike, but it swings faster and you can block with it (but still take damage). Has medium reach and can be unlocked around lv 25-30-ish

Spiked mace: A small-ish, metal club covered with spikes. It has low/medium reach and can deal decent damage. It can also break armor faster and ignores a certain % of armor. It can swing pretty fast and is used with 1 hand. It can be unlocked around level 25-ish.

War mace: A large, 2-handed weapon used for bashing enemies right in the face. It is also spiked and it also breaks armor faster than normal and ignores a bit of armor %. It swings slowly but it does great damage. It can be unlocked at lv 37-ish and requires the Spiked mace engram.

Flail: This spiked-ball on a chain can do decent damage decently fast. It doesn't ignore armor...but it has a very small chance to disarm others of their weapons! It's power is moderate/little and it's speed is mild. It can be unlocked at lv 33-ish.

Combat-knife: A small, fabricated blade that deals little damage but can be used to assassinate enemies when you sneak up on them. Assassination only works when not in combat and your not seen by anyone. It has a rapid attack speed and little damage. Can be unlocked around the same time as the fabricator.

Battle hammer: A 1-handed, blunt weapon made from stone that deals torpor and has good damage output. It swings a bit slowly but can make up for this in the fact that it does bonus damage to thatch and wood structures. Can be unlocked around lv 20-ish.

War hammer: A 2-handed, blunt weapon made from metal and obsidian that can deal a tiny bit of damage to stone and all lower tier structures and can crush armor. It swings the slowest of all the weapons but has the greatest damage per-strike of all. It ignores a high % of armor and breaks it really fast. You can block with this weapon. It can be unlocked around lv 45 and requires the Battle hammer engram.

Great ax: This weapon is capable of causing severe bleeding damage and ignores a small % of armor. you can block with this weapon and it requires 2 hands to use. When an enemies health is at 10% or lower, you have a slight chance of chopping their head off. This weapon swings at an average speed and does average damage but also really good bleeding damage. It can be unlocked at lv 30-ish. 

scythe: An arced-blade on a long pole capable of long-reached, decently powerful strikes. It has a quick swing speed and also has an alternate over-head strike. It can be unlocked at lv 35-ish.

Tower shield: A huge shield capable of absorbing blows from even large creatures and bullets. It completely ignores certain attacks and has awesome durability. It can cause you to move slower, but provides great protection. It is made from metal and obsidian and can be unlocked at lv 50-ish and requires the metal shield engram.

Macuahuitl: This sword-club is capable of dealing massive damage at a medium range and can ignore a certain % of armor. It swings moderately fast and deals great damage. it has low durability, but is great nonetheless. It is made with stone and obsidian and is unlocked around lv 35-ish and requires the club engram.

Lance: A superb long range weapon with powerful stab attacks and a charge attack. Does bonus damage if used off the back of a mount. It can be made from metal and obsidian and can be unlocked around lv 35 after you get the pike.

Javelin: Basically a more powerful throwing spear made of metal. It can be unlocked at the same time as the Smithy.

Sling; A basic ranged weapon that's easy to make, only requiring fiber and thatch. It's ammo is stones and is a more effective, but less accurate slingshot. Can be unlocked at the same lv as the slingshot so you can choose 1 or both.

Barbed rod: A wooden/stone rod covered with barbs capable of instantly destroying cloth armor and causing lots of bleeding. It can be unlocked at lv 7.

Combat torch; This would be the only melee weapon requiring fuel (maybe until tek tier) and would basically be a torch with flaming spikes on the end. It can cause burn damage and can be unlocked around lv 18 and requires the torch engram.

Blow dart: A primitive, ranged weapon that uses really cheap ammo and can be laced with narcotic, poison, etc. It's easily reloaded and can be unlocked at the same time as the bow. You can now choose from power (bow) or utility and less costly (Blow dart).

Composite bow: A large, heavy, fold-able bow that has a slower reload time, a longer drawback, more expensive cost and far more power than the fabricated bow. It's basically a more primitive sniper. It can pierce even flak armor and ignores a certain % of armor rating.

Tomahawk: A medium sized throwing hatchet capable of great damage, but hard to aim with. It's made from either stone and obsidian (lower tier) or metal and polymer (higher tier). It can cut tough armors and ignores a very high % of armor rating up until flak. It can first be unlocked at lv 30 and then the better version at the same lv as the Fabricator. They can be recovered after use.

Plasma short-sword: This blade from the tek-tier can ravage opponents and slice primitive armors. It causes burn damage and uses fuel. You can customize the colors you want your sword to glow.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance for you guys to add a text input box like we have on the PC for typing in a server password manually for the Xbox One version? The current system is really bad, as the authentication process doesn't recognise the client most of the time, resulting in an invalid password error. Just today, i tried connecting to my own server for 4 hours, getting invalid password, every single time.

Finally, could you fix the Scorched Earth transfers for player dedicated servers on the Xbox One, as promised in the first advertisement video? I have tried to reach out to SWC but so far i haven't had one single conclusive reply from any official on whether or not, those of us running our own Xbox One servers will have the option of transferring between worlds, without having to buy yet another Xbox One to use as a server. Any and all replies i've received so far, as been inconclusive, and borderline gibberish that doesn't have anything to do with my questions.

I love the game, but i'll be damned if i have to buy a 3rd Xbox One for Scorched Earth and transfers between worlds. If so, i'll take a full refund for both copies of Scorched Earth.

This is quite a serious question, and one that i'm fairly sure many would like to see a conclusive reply to.

Is it possible for you to make single player and unofficial servers not reset high level Dino stats? I use mods to have outrageous level Dino's and upsets me to get on and find my high level Dino's are now nerfed into oblivion and are not useful for fighting anymore. I thought mods were there for those of us who want to make things the way WE want?? But to have all the time and work to get an awesome mount then have it neutered to the point it can hardly take out a dodo is rediculous. 

Primal Survival Questions:

AI-Player Interactions -

1. Will the AI creatures see the player as one of their own, and come to the player's aid if attack? (Like Trikes for example?)
2. Assuming there are expanded vocalizations, will the AI respond to the player's vocals, regardless of species?
3. Will there be a less complex mating mechanic for players and AI of the same species? Will this require the player to recruit the selected mate into their "tribe"?
4. How will the player recruit AI into their tribe, and will their be an alpha male/female hierarchy like with modern species?
5. Will players be able to kick other creatures out of their "tribe"?
6. Will the environment and creatures' color schemes (of their fur or scales) add a ghillie suit/camouflage effect?

Vocalizations, and AI behavior:

1. Will there be more vocalizations available to the player, and will they replace the "Whistle Wheel"?
2. Will there be body language as well, which could replace the Emotes?
3. Will the AI respond to player vocalizations, or the vocalizations of other AI?
4. Would predators respond to prey vocalizations and body language, and have some way of calculating if they should attack or back off?
5. Would other pack animals, like Compies and Raptors, get the Alpha status like Allosaurus?
6. Will the AI, both "tame" and wild, have some sort of detection system that will trigger upon seeing a predator, and put the rest of the tribe on alert?

Mating/Nesting:

1. Will each species have their own nesting styles?
2. Will there be larger clutches of eggs?
3. Will players see baby, juvy, and adolescent creatures in the wild?
4. Will the eggs and babies be easier to take care off as a creature?
5. Will nests and eggs become more common in the game?
6. Will the parents of the nest focus on protecting the nest and babies, or will they simply lay the eggs and resume their usual scripted wandering?
7. WIll sexual dimorphism be more apparent in the future?
8. Will females be more selective about their mates, using the stats of the suitors to determine which one is better to mate with?
9. Will competition between AI males, and AI-Player males become a feature?
10.Will the chance of having multiple babies in one egg be removed?
11.Will the player's appearance from their choices on the pregame customization screen affect their chances off attracting mates, if sexual dimorphism is implied?

Feeding, Drinking, and Rest:

1. Will players retain the usual method of eating be keeping meat/berries in their inventory, or will they only get fed when they harvest food directly?
2. Will there be some water holder for players, or will they be require to go to a water source to drink?
3. Will wild AI now have to eat and drink?
4. Will players and AI have a Resting stance or mode where they can lay down? Maybe sleep as well?

Human-Player Creature interaction:
1. How will tribes be handled in regards to human players recruiting creature players?
2. Will humans still be able to tame player creatures, and force them into the tribe by force?
3. Would human players be able to steal herd/pack/tribe members of creature players?
4. Would player creatures still need saddles to allow humans to ride on them?
5. Can creature players disable human players' ability to ride on them?

for the explorer notes and chest could you consider maybe adding unique weapons and item or skin to make other items look different like if you open a chest from a Greek warrior you could find a spartan shield or roman gladius short sword and the Egyptian chest maybe a sickle sword and for the Japanese box a katana . maybe just some item themed for each survivor and you could include blueprints for these in caves so they won't take up engram slots

With Bolas added, the game is really interesting in terms of taming and PVP. However, there is a middle tier of creatures who are either too big for normal Bola or too small for Chain Bola. Could we either use the Bolas in game or a new tier of Bolas fired from a crossbow to take care of these? Alternatively, could we get more creatures affected by either Chain or regular Bola, or even possibly both? 

I've noticed since coming back to play after a long break that there are way to many abandoned rafts clogging up the shore line  at first I thought they would just decay but they haven't so I checked my first server I played on and my raft was still intact I haven't been on that server for six months I suggesting that you guys add some kind of decay timer for rafts because there are way to many abandoned raft at the moment

Could we get some issues with rafts / platforms fixed?

• Sleeping friends on rafts can be left behind in the ocean.  
  • Jumping on a raft while it's moving and you fly away rather than land on the same spot.
  • Destroyed items that turn into bags while raft is moving need to stay on the boat and not float in the air in the middle of the ocean.
  • Dinos on the raft or other platforms need their collision detection disabled or something so that they don't get pushed completely off (even in an enclosed space) when you run over a rock or tree.

PG ARKs are great to fool around with settings and all, but they still have major flaws (of course they are still experimental) and are rather unplayable at the moment.

Are you guys working on a major overhaul, or will changes rather be implemented one raindrop at a time? Any ETAs we need to take into account?

Archived