ARK Digest Q&A!

Jatheish

• Administrator

Hey Survivors,

If you've got a question, suggestion or just a general statement you'd like us to check out for the next ARK Digest - that'll be the place to do so! Each Digest, we'll select some from here and discuss or answer what has been asked/said. Keep in mind we won't be doing anything on ETAs, so avoid them if you can ;).

Also guys, we do have another Digest being lined up to be posted soon. I might add more questions from this thread to that one - or just save all these questions for the one after. Anyway ask away, I'm sure after yesterday's stream you've got a lot to think about! :P

Thanks,

Jat

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Primal Survival Questions:

AI-Player Interactions -

1. Will the AI creatures see the player as one of their own, and come to the player's aid if attack? (Like Trikes for example?)
2. Assuming there are expanded vocalizations, will the AI respond to the player's vocals, regardless of species?
3. Will there be a less complex mating mechanic for players and AI of the same species? Will this require the player to recruit the selected mate into their "tribe"?
4. How will the player recruit AI into their tribe, and will their be an alpha male/female hierarchy like with modern species?
5. Will players be able to kick other creatures out of their "tribe"?
6. Will the environment and creatures' color schemes (of their fur or scales) add a ghillie suit/camouflage effect?

Vocalizations, and AI behavior:

1. Will there be more vocalizations available to the player, and will they replace the "Whistle Wheel"?
2. Will there be body language as well, which could replace the Emotes?
3. Will the AI respond to player vocalizations, or the vocalizations of other AI?
4. Would predators respond to prey vocalizations and body language, and have some way of calculating if they should attack or back off?
5. Would other pack animals, like Compies and Raptors, get the Alpha status like Allosaurus?
6. Will the AI, both "tame" and wild, have some sort of detection system that will trigger upon seeing a predator, and put the rest of the tribe on alert?

Mating/Nesting:

1. Will each species have their own nesting styles?
2. Will there be larger clutches of eggs?
3. Will players see baby, juvy, and adolescent creatures in the wild?
4. Will the eggs and babies be easier to take care off as a creature?
5. Will nests and eggs become more common in the game?
6. Will the parents of the nest focus on protecting the nest and babies, or will they simply lay the eggs and resume their usual scripted wandering?
7. WIll sexual dimorphism be more apparent in the future?
8. Will females be more selective about their mates, using the stats of the suitors to determine which one is better to mate with?
9. Will competition between AI males, and AI-Player males become a feature?
10.Will the chance of having multiple babies in one egg be removed?
11.Will the player's appearance from their choices on the pregame customization screen affect their chances off attracting mates, if sexual dimorphism is implied?

Feeding, Drinking, and Rest:

1. Will players retain the usual method of eating be keeping meat/berries in their inventory, or will they only get fed when they harvest food directly?
2. Will there be some water holder for players, or will they be require to go to a water source to drink?
3. Will wild AI now have to eat and drink?
4. Will players and AI have a Resting stance or mode where they can lay down? Maybe sleep as well?

Human-Player Creature interaction:
1. How will tribes be handled in regards to human players recruiting creature players?
2. Will humans still be able to tame player creatures, and force them into the tribe by force?
3. Would human players be able to steal herd/pack/tribe members of creature players?
4. Would player creatures still need saddles to allow humans to ride on them?
5. Can creature players disable human players' ability to ride on them?

I appreciate the answer to my last question regarding logging in and out and respawn logic, and the declaration of global actors is great, but I think I need to rephrase my query with something a little more direct as I think I skewed Jeremy's response by the wording of my question as the response didn't really make sense regarding basic knowledge in how Dispatchers work.

In the GameMode, ShooterCharacterSpawned and Died are bindable Event Dispatchers that can call upon custom logic if we bind to these dispatchers with just a reference to said GameMode.

Given that, my question is why doesn't there already exist an Event Dispatcher each for player respawns(i.e choosing not to create a new character - the only current means of calling ShooterCharacterSpawned) and player connection events(ideally once the player has taken possession of their previous character in the case of logging in), and/or if they were on the cards for getting added into the GameMode so events can be bound to the dispatchers for our own custom needs while maintaining the ability to stack our mod(s) with others.

Thanks.

-WM

With the Lycanthropy and Vampirism being a halloween disease, Will we eventually see more Holiday themed diseases? 

The Arthropleura was given a turret mode AI attack, will we see more types of Dinos that have this AI?

The Giant Bee (Apis) has a queen that is supposedly tameable, Will the Titanomyrma have a Queen, that is tameable?

The Sarcosuchus was given a solid tail that has it's own hitbox,  I assume you were testing this mechanic out, is this a feature you want every or most dinos to have?

When we see more weather types, Will our jerboa friend be able to predict even more weather?

If there is an Ocean Expansion Pack, Will I be able to ride a Giant seahorse?

When will we see the Carbonemys retract into it's shell?

Will we be able to make our own cosmetics with materials? Outside of holiday themed events?

Since the Death worm was given the ability to "Dig" will we see more upcoming dinos that can "Dig" or go under the world like the upcoming purlovia?

Could we see a "C" Ability for the pelagornis to pull fish from the water and grab them?

Could we be given the ability to fish with a fishing rod on pelagornis?

Will the Cnidaria have different types? Looks, Colors, Shapes?

Will the Purlovia also have a lock feature to grab prey and keep them there?

Can we see Dino-Specific regions? Such as a "Camping place" for quetzals such as a huge nest with quetzals?

Will we see the thanksgiving event again?... It's not listed in the patch notes.

How will you address the Holiday event bugs?

Do you ever plan on having babies different looking and more unique then their adult counterparts instead of being a smaller version of that Dino (Question by SampleMagpie)

I am curious when, or if, we will be seeing difficulty 5 on unofficial, player-dedicated servers on the Xbox.  That tidbit being up in the air halts a fair amount of play, as there's no point in continuing to 5ame and breed the current max if that ceiling will be raised in a week.

I am also interested in understanding what specifically Play Anywhere will mean for those of us playing on Xbox.  With Play Anywhere, are we going to see the ability to use third-party hosts?  If so, will you be implementing some means of migrating existing server data from the Xbox to the third-party?  Even if no third-party option will be available, a means of exporting the server data to an external hard drive to be used on consoles would beneficial.

1. Are you guys getting any more of those 3D prints? I want an Allosaurus one. 
2. So that full Manticore armor in the devkit. It's just a continuation of the skin, right? Are we going to see more armor skins dropped by bosses? Dragon Scale armor or Megapithecus Mail would be lit. Even if they're just cosmetic, I think they'd be worthy rewards for beating a boss.
3. So now that we know the hold up on the Therizinosaurus, do you have any thoughts on a new functionality for it? 
4. Smoke grenades. Would it be difficult for them to also work on animals? ie. a properly timed smoke grenade to a Giga's face could offer a few precious seconds needed to escape or confuse a pack of Raptors that're hounding you. Also, any chance for cherry grenades for distraction purposes? More ways to interact with AI in general other than 'kill' or 'go around' would be nice. 
5. @complexminded Ced, think we'll have something in Primitive + that functions similar to the Industrial Grinder? Like a 'Deconstruction Table'? I know Jat wasn't sure about it, haha. Perhaps it could be a function of that 'improved workbench' you showed during the stream? 

I have asked several places including twitter, I even googled it with no real info. So here's my question, Is there going to be any REAL information on how to do Cross-Ark Travel for single player on PC without losing all items, Dino's and player? No one seems to be able to answer how to do this, I shouldn't have to download others programs and go through all that to get it to work. It should have been set up better, I feel it should be easier for single player than on a server. Thank you. 

Are you guys thinking of a way of Dino riders not get picked off so easily by flyers, especially pteranadon? A person can still be dropped from a height where they'll take damage with the parachute open.

My idea is a harness, like a seatbelt, that can be crafted to add to the saddle so that way the players on dinos can't be picked so easily and lose that tame right off-the-bat. The seatbelt can be like a timed thing where once it's on the saddle, it's only active for a couple hours or something similar. 

Its just when you are raiding during dinos, it's not really much a dino fight if one of the easiest tames in the game can just pick a player up and drop u, leaving the dino lonely and useless. 

Can you make it so when I play single player modded I can set my difficulty to 3 or whatever and it stay that? I change difficulty in the .ini file and play, when I log off and go back in later it's reset to difficulty 1. Also on Fear Evolved 3 can you make the Dodorex and DodoWyvern a little easier to find? Again single player, so I don't have the help flying around looking for it. For the entire event as soon as the DodoWyvern appeared I would fly the map but can't get it all covered before it is gone. 

Scorched Earth

Structure Idea: What about a 'sand collector' structure (some kind of huge hide bag that hangs on two pillars/sticks) for auto-collecting huge amounts of sand during sand storms (fairly more than a player will collect when walking outside during the storm)? With this structure, the storms would add a positive side effect to gameplay...

- Can you add batterys or solar panels.

Would be cool to put batterys into the auto turrets for example.

- Can you add Cable Canals to better protect the cables please. 1x1x1 Floors is to big for small cables to hide.

- Its kinda unbalanced that you can build up on SE and join The Island Servers and wipe all people with Wyverns etc. We got that often now.

We should be able to transfer in all directions. Or forbidden to transfer explosives like rockets from SE to Island.

- Do we get more love to the Official Offline Raid Protection Servers. The feedback is written down in several forum posts. a Rework with balancing would be super nice.

And again! (+additions) :-D

• Will the snow-/swamp-cave also be remodeled?

• Is there a way that the Chalicotherium stays sit down?

• Can you please lower/disable the eating-sound of the Oviraptor? It's horribly loud and brutally annoying! :-D

• Can you fix it that Dire Bears won't poop out of their belly? This also is very important for breeding, because the baby is squirted out of the belly too and I've never succeeded to get it out under its mom without commands. Sometimes they even fall under the world...

• With tek tier upcoming will there be anything we have a better/clear underwater vision?

• Is there a way that the training dummy works for PvE-servers without friendly fire?

• Will you change the spawns on the south-eastern and north-eastern islands, so that there will be a larger variety of creatures (atm there are only ~7 different species on each)?

• Will you add something like the desert armor to The Island, because sometimes you can only survive the heat by being naked and submerged in water (it happens to me mostly on Carnivore Island)?

• Will there be changes for the temper of some creatures? (Phiomias, Procoptodons, Pteranodons and Parasaurs should fight back!) Ehm... All start with P...

• Could you add a leash for our creatures, that we don't have to enclose them to make sure, they're not running away because they chase something? Would be a good thing for Gigantopithecus, Oviraptor and Dungbeetle, too and even for the mating-process!

• Is it possible to make eggs don't disappear if there are already 6 around? I lost a lot of fertilized eggs because of that...  

• You told us, that you work on the Titanosaur-PVE-thing, that we will be able to keep him alive. It was a long time ago and nothing happend. Are you still on it?

• Could we get an (unofficial/single player) option which creatures are allowed to be brought to boss arenas?

• How about a bigger hatchframe to bring in a Quetz?

• Will you change spawns in the snow biome? It is really weird to see Sarcos and Rexes - I even saw a Snake there...

• Will you ever correct the names of some creatures? Currently misspelled are Arthropluera (correct is ArthroplEUra), Titanboa (correct is TitanOboa) and Pulminoscorpius (correct is PulmOnoscorpius)

• Could you please change the spawnpoints of Titanosaurus, especially the one on Herbivore Island/South Haven? A tribe on my server had issues for 2-3 times, when one spawned in their base. So I had to command kill it and disabled the Titanosaurus completely.

• I noticed that the greenhouse structures cause extreme lag, after I built my treehouse in the redwoods. Could you fix this somehow?

• Will there be some rounded structures? I'd really like to build a dome-shaped sports arena!

• Is there a way we could dismount Tapejara whilst it is hanging on a wall/cliff/tree

• Volunteer Moderator
28 minutes ago, GeoSeb said:

Hello,

That are your priorities in the moment ? Can you maybe give us a sneak peak of your timetable for the next months ?

They stated during the recent Charity stream that in the next couple of weeks they plan on releasing a Road Map, which should give you some idea of their development plan.

Will you be adding more clusters in the near future?

Is it possible to make offline raiding more difficult but not impossible on all official PvP servers? maybe increased resistance on the structures? I feel as if some people are building up and losing lots of invested time only because they can't compete with other players who never get offline and it seems to lead to an over abundance of empty or low populated servers. I understand it is PvP but offline raiding involves none of that.

Hello, is there any possibility that we will be able to fully customize the games base color palette/spectrum for the dinosaurs without the need of color mods? The settargetdinocolor command only allows us to choose from the (rather dull or excessively over the top) colours that are already coded in the game and only works with creatures that have already been spawned. Here is the link to my suggestion post which discusses the advantages of this:

Here is an example:

Normal game colour spectrum/ids                          

ID Description Hex Code
1 Red #ff0000
2 Blue #0000ff
3 Green #00ff00
4 Yellow #ffff00
5 Cyan #00ffff
6 Magenta #ff00ff
7 Light Green #c0ffba
8 Light Grey #c8caca
9 Light Brown #776659
10 Light Orange #ffb46b
11 Light Yellow #fffa8a
12 Light Red #ff756b
13 Dark Grey #7b7b7b
14 Black #3b3b3b
15 Brown #593827
16 Dark Green #224900
17 Dark Red #811c14
18 White #ffffff
19 Dino Light Red #ffa8a8
20 Dino Dark Red #592b2b
21 Dino Light Orange #ffb694
22 Dino Dark Orange #88522e
23 Dino Light Yellow #caca9f
24 Dino Dark Yellow #94946b
25 Dino Light Green #e0ffe0
26 Dino Medium Green #789478
27 Dino Dark Green #2b402b
28 Dino Light Blue #d9e0ff
29 Dino Dark Blue #384262
30 Dino Light Purple #e4d9ff
31 Dino Dark Purple #403259
32 Dino Light Brown #ffe0ba
33 Dino Medium Brown #948575
34 Dino Dark Brown #594d40
35 Dino Darker Grey #595959
36 Dino Albino #ffffff
37 BigFoot0 #b79683
38 BigFoot4 #eadad5
39 BigFoot5 #d0a694
40 Wolf Fur #c3b39f
41 Dark Wolf Fur #887566
42 DragonBase0 #a0664b
43 DragonBase1 #cb7956
44 DragonFire #bc4f00
45 DragonGreen0 #79846c
46 DragonGreen1 #909c79
47 DragonGreen2 #a5a48b
48 DragonGreen3 #74939c
49 WyvernPurple0 #787496
50 WyvernPurple1 #b0a2c0
51 WyvernBlue0 #6281a7
52 WyvernBlue1 #485c75
53 Dino Medium Blue #5fa4ea
54 Dino Deep Blue #4568d4
55 NearWhite #ededed
56 NearBlack

Modded game colour spectrum/ids

ID - Name

1 - Red
2 - Blue
3 - Green
4 - Yellow
5 - Cyan
6 - Magenta
7 - Light Green
8 - Light Grey
9 - Light Brown
10 - Light Orange
11 - Light Yellow
12 - Light Red
13 - Dark Grey
14 - Black
15 - Brown
16 - Dark Green
17 - Dark Red
18 - White
19 - Dino Light Red
20 - Dino Dark Red
21 - Dino Light Orange
22 - Dino Dark Orange
23 - Dino Light Yellow
24 - Dino Dark Yellow
25 - Dino Light Green
26 - Dino Medium Green
27 - Dino Dark Green
28 - Dino Light Blue
29 - Dino Dark Blue
30 - Dino Light Purple
31 - Dino Dark Purple    
32 - Dino Light Brown
33 - Dino Medium Brown
34 - Dino Dark Brown
35 - Dino Darker Grey
36 - Dino Albino
37 - BigFoot0    
38 - BigFoot4
39 - BigFoot5
40 - Bright Orange
41 - Dark Orange
42 - Deep Orange
43 - Bright Blue
44 - Bright Purple
45 - Dark Blue
46 - Deep Blue
47 - Dark Purple
48 - Deep Purple
49 - Bright Yellow
50 - Dark Yellow
51 - Dark Aqua Blue
52 - Golden Light Brown
53 - Bright Cyan
54 - Bright Red
55 - Bright Green
56 - Deep Cyan

57 - WolfFur
58 - DarkWolfFur

(Bolded section is the added/customised colours)

Archived