Showerthoughts: Why I dont like a lot of mods.

MrDynamicMan

Its the models. They never fit. In anunaki, for example, everything is a "like X, but bigger." Golden dodo, rudolph which is just a reskin ffs, etc, etc. when its not reused, disgusting luminescent dodo, its a stupidly large dragon that is out of place.

The number inflation also really annoying. 10000000000000000% damage is neither balanced or interesting.

/rant

16 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

Its the models. They never fit. In anunaki, for example, everything is a "like X, but bigger." Golden dodo, rudolph which is just a reskin ffs, etc, etc. when its not reused, disgusting luminescent dodo, its a stupidly large dragon that is out of place.

The number inflation also really annoying. 10000000000000000% damage is neither balanced or interesting.

/rant

i get your point, but i feel that mostly applies to mods that include dinos. before we wiped our map in july we had a center map server with vanilla creaturs, no mods that affected the creatures. we had mods for structures/armor/player stats. and i feel these mods sometimes give some nice additions to the game, i particularly like the building/structures mods as you can create some nice things with it without completely destroying the purpose of survival.

now after the wipe we installed the annunaki on the server and it was fun for the first couple days, u die alot more early on but once you got a poison dino the game just stagnates. it goes from poison ptera => poison argy => poison drake => tame everything else with it. you dont use ANY of the items for players, you dont use ANY other dinos except for maybe the farm dinos and thats it. i have to say after you tame a poison drake the game just gets bland. there is no more 'survival'.

tl;dr i agree with your point involving dino mods but i feel mods for building/structures are a nice addition :)

3 hours ago, BobRoss said:

i get your point, but i feel that mostly applies to mods that include dinos. before we wiped our map in july we had a center map server with vanilla creaturs, no mods that affected the creatures. we had mods for structures/armor/player stats. and i feel these mods sometimes give some nice additions to the game, i particularly like the building/structures mods as you can create some nice things with it without completely destroying the purpose of survival.

now after the wipe we installed the annunaki on the server and it was fun for the first couple days, u die alot more early on but once you got a poison dino the game just stagnates. it goes from poison ptera => poison argy => poison drake => tame everything else with it. you dont use ANY of the items for players, you dont use ANY other dinos except for maybe the farm dinos and thats it. i have to say after you tame a poison drake the game just gets bland. there is no more 'survival'.

tl;dr i agree with your point involving dino mods but i feel mods for building/structures are a nice addition :)

Yeah, this psot was mostly about dinos anyway

True there are some mods that make really flamboyant over the top not needed dinos, I won't say which ones I've seen that make me wonder who actually uses this, and I've seen others that really do a good job of adding scale and balance even adding a more boss like tier as we all know once you are stronger in the game and you've bred a lot of creatures, things need to provide a more regular challenge and lets face it, WC won't get there yet.

I have one dino mod on mine the rest are building addons.  It makes you think before you attack way more.  Anything that I don't want in a mod to make it too easy I can simply remove as well.  I will say that the dino mod I use does not inflate the damage stats like that.  It just forces uses to work as a team and think more outside the box as well.

9 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

/rant

I would have to 10000000000000000% agree with you, even if it's unbalanced(hah, goteeem)

13 hours ago, Jtmorris said:

Yeah I never understood the damage scale being multiplied. Doesn't make sense to just add extra zeroes after everything . 

i think they wanted to provide a challenge to taming these things as a dino with 10000000% dmg in the wild will one shot almost everything u have. but what they didnt consider i feel is that when you tame these dinos everything becomes to easy, the only reason these dinos in the wild with those boosted stats dont totally obliterate you is because the dino AI is crappy atm. so if such a dino gets controlled by a player and not an AI it becomes ridiculous.

i feel a good alternative would be to handle the stats the same way the giga is handled on vanilla, keep the high stats in the wild but once tamed, decrease them by say 70% so you still feel challenged fighting with these modded dinos.

Never understood the number inflation. 500 hp 55 damage base? Oh let me make it 500 million hp and 55 million damage! that will be better. Not. All you do is bog your server down with needless extra values. Its literally the same.

And @BobRoss So true. Same thing applies to the 150 wild on official, though it's only slightly ridiculous instead of outright insane due to it being 150 and not 1500 like a lot of mods do. Once you have tames the game is blatantly easier with 150 wilds than it is with 30 wilds.

1 hour ago, Zanber said:

Never understood the number inflation. 500 hp 55 damage base? Oh let me make it 500 million hp and 55 million damage! that will be better. Not. All you do is bog your server down with needless extra values. Its literally the same.

And @BobRoss So true. Same thing applies to the 150 wild on official, though it's only slightly ridiculous instead of outright insane due to it being 150 and not 1500 like a lot of mods do. Once you have tames the game is blatantly easier with 150 wilds than it is with 30 wilds.

Being able to one shot anything seems overkill to me :) but some time ago i was following a mod that actually made the game alot harder, i cant remember the name right now but it made certain dinos unrideable and dropped the dmg and hp drastically on tamed dinos. for me this is the kind of survival im looking for!

19 minutes ago, BobRoss said:

Being able to one shot anything seems overkill to me :) but some time ago i was following a mod that actually made the game alot harder, i cant remember the name right now but it made certain dinos unrideable and dropped the dmg and hp drastically on tamed dinos. for me this is the kind of survival im looking for!

I don't know about the mod you're talking about, but I'm working on basically that currently. I'm also adjusting structure health, weapon damage, bullet costs, ect ect. It's unfortunately more fun than playing ark for me at the moment.

14 hours ago, Zanber said:

I don't know about the mod you're talking about, but I'm working on basically that currently. I'm also adjusting structure health, weapon damage, bullet costs, ect ect. It's unfortunately more fun than playing ark for me at the moment.

i think ARK has a broad spectrum off players, some like the grind, others would do anything to skip straight to endgame, this is why i really like the support the devs have been giving to modders. :)

On 11/3/2016 at 10:25 AM, BobRoss said:

i think they wanted to provide a challenge to taming these things as a dino with 10000000% dmg in the wild will one shot almost everything u have. but what they didnt consider i feel is that when you tame these dinos everything becomes to easy, the only reason these dinos in the wild with those boosted stats dont totally obliterate you is because the dino AI is crappy atm. so if such a dino gets controlled by a player and not an AI it becomes ridiculous.

i feel a good alternative would be to handle the stats the same way the giga is handled on vanilla, keep the high stats in the wild but once tamed, decrease them by say 70% so you still feel challenged fighting with these modded dinos.

No. 10^300/10^300= 1/1. Its just basic mathematics. Strength is relative, if everything is just x10 of the original stats its no different than if everything 1% of the original stats.

23 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

No. 10^300/10^300= 1/1. Its just basic mathematics. Strength is relative, if everything is just x10 of the original stats its no different than if everything 1% of the original stats.

not everything is 10x , most of the time player stats dont change much so player vs wildlife is harder, until you tame one of these creatures it actually is harder, its just after that the climb to endgame becomes to fast and mostly pointless

Archived