• Administrator

large.Dossier_Archaeopteryx.jpg.ae6e50e2

Common Name: Archaeopteryx
Species: Archaeopteryx Magnamilvum
Time: Late Jurassic
Diet: Carnivore
Temperament: Fearful

Wild

Approximately one meter long, the Archaeopteryx Magnamilvum is a primarily tree-dwelling proto-bird. It avoids the ground as much as possible, preferring to stay in the safety of the trees, where few predators can reach it.

I’ve not seen an Archaeopteryx outright fly yet, so it’s possible that they can’t generate enough lift to do more than glide long distances between perches.

I’m not sure how a creature as fearful of the ground can be such a picky eater, but Archaeopteryx only seems to consume certain rare insect matter. The most likely explanation is that it tends to nest in infested trees, stripping them bare of such food sources.

Domesticated

While not large enough to bare the full weight of an adult human, Archaeopteryx still has great utility. Despite the creature’s inability to fly, its wings have sufficient strength to dramatically slow the rate of a person’s descent if that person holds Archaeopteryx while airborne. Taming Archaeopteryx can be somewhat troublesome, though, as it refuses to eat most common food sources, and glides to prospective safety at the first sign of any interloper.

View full article

Cool, but here's my thing, though: Does this have any advantage over Parachutes? They don't require much in the way of resources when compared to a creature that you're going to spend time, narcotics and kibble or Bug Meat on and your hands are left free, meaning you can defend yourself with your bow or gun or whatever. But both hands are grasping the Arch's legs here, so I'm guessing there's no means of protection outside of the Arch itself... which doesn't sound too geared for fights. The only positive I see is that it saves you from having to keep making 'chutes. Maybe it's faster, too? Diversity's never a bad thing, though.

Can you please do a better job of separating the information on the website?  Like specifically note what is coming to the PC, XB1, or the combination of both?  Because you talked about the Procoptodon and said "The ARK is getting a unique new denizen today: the hip hopping Procoptodon, essentially a gigantic prehistoric Kangaroo." However, XB1 users did not get it "today" like the article says it was supposed to release.  All it takes is in the title of the article add [PC] or [XBOX] so everyone knows what system you are talking about.  9/10 the comments always asked "is this PC only?"  If you have it releasing on both PC & Xbox you then just leave the bracketed information out, letting everyone know it is for all platforms.