*FIXED* Unable to query server info for invite - my own private server

Asbrand

So, this morning after work, I sat down to play some ARK, but, lo and behold, I wasn't able to connect to my own server.  Sitting in the rack about 6' behind me.  I get the dreaded "Unable to query server info for invite" error.

Server was working just fine before I left for work last night.  No changes were made on it, or my gaming rig, while I was at work.  Get home this morning, and nada.

I can see the server in my "Server Favorites" in Steam.  I can tell it to connect that way, and it'll ask me for the password, and start the game...but then give me that error.

If I just start the game up and go to "Join Ark" and look for it...the server doesn't even show up in my list.  Two others that I play on sometimes *do* show up, and I can connect to them.

MODS:  I'm only running 2 mods.  They were working perfectly fine last night (and for weeks).  

ARKON:  Using Arkon, I can remotely connect to the server just fine.

Server has been updated to the 248.51 version.

Things I've tried so far:

1.  Checked the server's firewall settings.  They are the same as they were before, allowing all the correct ports.  Nothing has changed there.

2.  Rebooted the server (an actual rack-mounted server running Windows Server 2012). 

3.  Ran (as admin) the "netsh winsock reset" command, and then rebooted my gaming PC.

4.  Validated my game PC's ARK files via Steam.

5.  Uninstalled the game from my PC, deleted the leftover ARK directory in steamapps/common, and re-installed a fresh copy.

...I am kinda at my wits end here.  DILO is going on?

Also tried backing up my save files and mods, and then completely deleting the ark server directory on my server, and re-installing from scratch.

This did not resolve the problem.  However, it led me to the fix.

Turns out that one of the mods I was running had an update at some point after I'd last played on my server, and when I attempted to connect again.  This is what caused me to get this seemingly completely unrelated error.

So, if you are having this issue...make sure to update all the mods on your server to see if that fixes the problem.  Because it sure did for me.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Asbrand, I was having this issue as well.  After much frustration, I tried your steps, but it didn't work.  I did however fork from your fix to attempt reinstallation of each mod, individually while restoring a backup between each try.  This narrowed it down, no thanks to an abundance of verbose logs :\

It ended up being S+.

I run 'arkmanager' on Linux to administrate the game, so I just have a custom bash script doing the work for backups, updates, restarts, etc...  I've added a condition in which 'if S+ needs and update, reinstall it".  You can use the 'expect' command, or awk/sed to catch the mod id "731604991" announcing its update, then just issue this command at the end of the script if the exception is met:

arkmanager reinstallmod 731604991

This has been stable for about a month and a half now.

Thought this might help others, thanks for the post.

• 2 months later...

@Hodlin I am running Arkmanager as well. I have had the worst troubles downloading extinction core. After manually copying it over from my PC game mods folder. Still nothing. I have to manually start the server windows command. Regarding your fix, where do you insert these commands Arkmanager reinstallmod *****? Thanks for the posts everyone!

• 1 month later...

Ah arkmanger is a lot different from the Ark Manager for Windows :(

You can use command line options to reinstall mods, and I just add them to a cron script that fires off to check/download/install updates.  If S+ updates, I just reinstall it instead:

arkmanager uninstallmod [modnumber]

...and...

arkmanager installmod [modnumber]

There are so many more customization options with the Linux service, you should consider that.  I never have to touch my server.

Archived