(lots of) room for improvement :(

Connobi

Gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed with this game so far. And I'm gutted as it looked so good from the trailers. I did see video reviews on YouTube putting it down but I thought "no! I'll give it a go!" Paid for it on the xbox trial programme - god I wish I hadn't. The game is a buggy, confusing, glitch mess. Sorry if you're a fan, and I'm happy for you if you are, but i feel this game is crap. Which ironically is one of the first things you do in the game! I wish I could get my money back. And devs? How about a tutorial? 

I hope this can get better, friendlier to the casual gamer and justify the purchase price. It's got so much potential. Just currently it's too.... rough. (Yes, I know it's a trial). 

You want someone who holds your hand - in a survival game?

Ark is playable.

Yea it has some bugs and sure sometimes they freak me out, but the game itself is surely playable - even tho its just Alpha.

But asking for a tutorial...in a survival game..srsly xD

The fun part is to find out stuff urself..so that you can survive.

A tutorial would just make things rly too easy from the start =/

6 minutes ago, Connobi said:

Fella? It's not a "game" in its current form. The word "game" implies explanation of how to play said game, and also enjoyment. Those two points don't apply to Ark as yet.

It not being a game is entirely your perspective. I guess you missed the warning that said this is a work in progress and to expect bugs and glitches. ARK is awesome enough my GF who hasn't touched an xbox since I've known her is playing it.

The fact that ARK doesn't hold your hand made it that much more fun. People these days are to used to being spoon fed information, they've lost the ability to go find it on their own, or just pushing a button to see what it does so to speak. Oh well, it is survival of the fittest after all. If you're not willing to explore and figure things out then you're not fit to survive. 

19 minutes ago, Connobi said:

Fallout has a tutorial. Skyrim had a tutorial. Hell, even Minecraft has a tutorial. These are open world survival games that give you the basics. It's not asking for much. Especially if you're hoping to sell this on consoles and for it to do well. 

You call those survival games? Try DayZ, Rust, and 7 Days to Die. Those are survival games, and I don't remember a tutorial in them either. Then again I may have been to busy trying things to see what happened to notice any hints and tips. 

1 hour ago, Connobi said:

Gotta say, I'm pretty underwhelmed with this game so far. And I'm gutted as it looked so good from the trailers. I did see video reviews on YouTube putting it down but I thought "no! I'll give it a go!" Paid for it on the xbox trial programme - god I wish I hadn't. The game is a buggy, confusing, glitch mess. Sorry if you're a fan, and I'm happy for you if you are, but i feel this game is crap. Which ironically is one of the first things you do in the game! I wish I could get my money back. And devs? How about a tutorial? 

I hope this can get better, friendlier to the casual gamer and justify the purchase price. It's got so much potential. Just currently it's too.... rough. (Yes, I know it's a trial). 

Aw man. its a shame you don't like this game. I havent stopped playing it (when I can get on that is - sorry Devs :p).

The whole "what do you do", " How do you do it". "oops, ive hit that in the face instead of feeding it - run!" is one of the main attractions for me, it adds longevity to the game as well.

Maybe watch a few youtube videos and give it another go. Maybe single player with the modifiers turned up to help get things faster?

21 minutes ago, BigHead said:

You call those survival games? Try DayZ, Rust, and 7 Days to Die. Those are survival games, and I don't remember a tutorial in them either. Then again I may have been to busy trying things to see what happened to notice any hints and tips. 

No tutorials in those at all. DayZ would be awesome on Xbox!!

1 hour ago, Connobi said:

Fallout has a tutorial. Skyrim had a tutorial. Hell, even Minecraft has a tutorial. These are open world survival games that give you the basics. It's not asking for much. Especially if you're hoping to sell this on consoles and for it to do well. 

Why tutorials? Is it too hard to learn? Everyone that's playing right now probably learned on their own. I watched PartiallyRoyal play it so I know basics but then I played the game and figured out most the stuff myself. Not hard at all.

4 hours ago, Connobi said:

Did you only buy this game because it had dinosaurs on the front? I in no way mean disrespect and I apologize if this comes off as rude, but man, you literally had every opportunity to see that this game is not fully developed. A quick youtube search of the game would show you what this alpha is like. (which i recommend you do when buying games from now on since you are dissatisfied) and would allow you to see beforehand what the game is like and let you decide if its something you would be interested in. The game in the market place has the word's "Preview Program" on the front, which obviously should atleast make you ask what that means. I mean heck, even the TITLE SCREEN has a warning about the unpredictability of this game:ggggg.thumb.jpg.e55af111e0ea7ac48eda962f

So if you feel the pre release software didn't live up to your expectation, fine. But please do not call it "crap" because you blatantly ignored all the warnings given to you and didn't do proper research before making your purchase. At least it was cheaper than a $60 broken game and DOES function.  *cough* Master Chief Collection *cough*

You're the first person I've honestly seen that has talked about a tutorial. I have to kindly disagree. Ark, and most survival games of it's nature, are hard. Ark is the hardest one I've played so far. We, as console players, are used to having our hands held in games. Ark at the moment is one of the only true survival games we have, so it is new to the majority of the console players playing it, and we are used to having tutorials, but in the world of survival games (which primarily reside on PC) it's about adapt or die. Learning as you go. I feel the surprise of pooping has caught many players off guard and gets many laughs from people when you figure out how to do it on command haha. The feeling of being in the unknown, being in a big new ambitious world with new controls, mechanics, and ideas is something seriously lacking in the console world and is a welcomed sight. I feel a tutorial wouldn't RUIN the game, but would heavily detract from your initial learning experience. 

Once again, I in no way mean any offense towards you.

I just did a quick cursory google around and see that there are very few, if any, proper survival games on consoles.  There are a number of open world RPG type games, but no survival, which tells me that, for consoles, this is a completely new genre.  So I guess I can understand the frustration at no tutorial.  But that's the beauty of it..the reward for figuring something out..or better, doing something and having to work out how the hell you managed it..is brilliant.

It's even better with friends...when you are all learning together.  It makes small progress feel rewarding, as opposed to "right, so I need X stone, X flint, X wood....man this game is grindy, why can't I just find a torch on the ground..:"

A survival game (DayZ, Miscreated, Ark, Rust, 7 Days to Die, Stranded Deep, Long Dark etc etc) is about immersion and that feeling of "crap, what do I do..I'm freezing, umm wood - I'll get some wood...damn, now I'm hungry...can I eat this berry?  How can I light the fire!!!!" etc.

It's a part of the game and one of the main reasons that people love Survival games (myself included).  Ark is one of the better ones (and certainly more forgiving).  DayZ, by comparison, is a nightmare and grounded in a lot of realism (Zombies notwithstanding)..Ark strikes a good balance between survival and fun.

I suspect that there will be more and more games of this type coming to consoles in the future..so I would plan to get by with youtube tutorials as opposed to in-game ones.

Cheers

12 hours ago, Connobi said:

It's already doing well...the game is not difficult at all to figure out. Even for a casual player. You just have to have the ability to think for yourself and problem solve. The game is great even with its current bus and glitches. And sorry but fallout skyrim and minecraft are completely different games

Yea those really aren't survival games you listed, and whilst agree that some more guides in game before launch for some basic stuff like the controls might be useful, I don't think it needs an in depth tutorial system.

Like several people have pointed out, part of a surviv game is trial and error and finding things out. You can always check YouTube or the wiki if you want to advance your knowledge (and aren't playing with a tribe). Personally I'm against console games being dumbed down for the casual market. I think this is more of a case of a misunderstanding about what kind of game this is.

Myself, well I'm hopelessly addicted to it. Each to their own though. At least a barrier to ultra casual gamers may deter trolly kids from playing.

14 hours ago, Connobi said:

If you're playing on a pc and you like to spend hours doing the trial and error thing, that's your business. Most console gamers prefer their entertainment a bit less drawn out and a Damn sight more user friendly. 

Wow, you just totally proved those people who like to say things like PC master race totally right with this comment. 

• Volunteer Moderator
17 hours ago, Connobi said:

I'd just like to point out that Skyrim and Fallout are sandbox RPGs, not open world survival games. As for tutorials, those are really dependent on the developers and whether or not they felt it was needed/ within their capability to squeeze it in. Older games like the NES/Famicom Mario Brothers, Legend of Zelda, Metroid, etc. all did not have a tutorial level for people and somehow gamers managed to thrive. Play Station Era games like Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy 7 never had tutorials and yet once more people still managed to put the square pegs in square holes. The notion of tutorial levels and "handholding" is something that's downright rampant in this generation of games, and I personally believe it's not because gamers this generation are dumber, it's just that game developers believe they have so much to offer that they want to show the player what he or she is capable of doing in their game. Ark isn't out to try to do that. It wants you to be amazed at your own discovery on what you can and cannot do.

Archived