117 days and quitting, here's why

Vita

So yes as the title says I have a whopping 117 days on ark, probably more time than I've put into any single video and have put up with ALL of the bad luck until this point. I finally got into breeding and imprinting on our PvP prim+ server which we are alpha on. I 100% imprinted a baby dire bear, and ALSO while it was a baby it was glitched so i literally had to remote use item on it to get it to eat and refill food bar even while juvenile and adolescent it did this. I also 96% imprinted on a rex baby. Both of my babies died, the rex 2 weeks after it matured the bear 1-2 months BOTH due to lag outs not even players killing them. I know they should be on neutral and I keep my tames on that specifically in case of lagouts but of course being in a tribe people are whistling passive in the base switching my tames. So the rex I lagged out while fighting allos, log back in my man is dead so i spawn at a bed to get a flyer to go get my rex i spent 4 days raising and imprinting literally losing sleep to do so. I log in the server, game completely crashes, I open game back up join server I lag out of server, join back in go to loading screen make it to D5_FAR-WIP game freezes and crashes, I sign back in again finally connect game takes two years to render structures and things I make it back to the rex its dead and it took so long to reconnect my pack with my items was completely gone... The 100% literal hand fed dire bear same exact thing, I lag out outside of the base 5 dilos aggro on my bear kill my body I lag out of server literally 5 times in a row (just happened which sparked this post). Like it is ridiculous how much time we are expected to spend on these tames just for things like this to happen and all progress be lost. Tame times should be permanently increased to double and imprinting should have MUCH LARGER gaps between them. Not so that everyone can get 100% but for the fact that not even due to user error your tame could die any moment. Which is why I am quitting I am tired of having to dedicate my life to something which could be taken away from you in seconds just because (pre-release) software decides not to work. I know there are tons of arguments against me but whatever after this much playing time countless offline raids and failed servers this is whats making me quit. The absolute ignorance and laziness about the disconnection and game freezing/crashing problem. Everyone I talk to complains, we dont need more content in the game we need a game that works. Enjoy the ark and good luck

2 hours ago, Vita said:

The absolute ignorance and laziness about the disconnection and game freezing/crashing problem. Everyone I talk to complains, we dont need more content in the game we need a game that works. Enjoy the ark and good luck

Yeah it would be nice if this didn't happen but even then I lost a 70 hardcore character and an accidently passive 170 carno and my original jerboa same age as my char :Jerbcry:when I disconnected because xbox live had problems, wasn't ark's fault for once :P. So things like this would still happen because Murphy's law. Not the same as your tames but same idea. It's a painful lesson to learn, but you won't repeat that mistake twice, one way or the other.

2 hours ago, Vita said:

Tame times should be permanently increased to double and imprinting should have MUCH LARGER gaps between them. 

I was going to write a long winded post in another topic about why I think the tame times and rates are fine as is, but your OP captures it perfectly. Those slow tedious rates get you emotionally tied to your ark stuff, how else you gonna do that, make someone care about a digital pet or house? It's necessary imo.

Sorry that happened to you. Take a break or retire from ark, up to you. If you ask me, I go into ark accepting that anything and everything can be lost. Let's be honest with ourselves, the notion that we are investing hundreds or thousands of hours into this game is probably irresponsible, added on the fact of how fragile we all know it is, it's really ludicrous ^_^. But it's fun as hell, addictive, and you meet people so its worth it.

8 minutes ago, waterKeeper said:

Yeah it would be nice if this didn't happen but even then I lost a 70 hardcore character and an accidently passive 170 carno when I disconnected because xbox live had problems, wasn't ark's fault for once :P. So things like this would still happen because Murphy's law. Not the same as your tames but same idea. It's a painful lesson to learn, but you won't repeat that mistake twice, one way or the other.

I was going to write a long winded post in another topic about why I think the tame times and rates are fine as is, but your OP captures it perfectly. Those slow tedious rates get you emotionally tied to your ark stuff, how else you gonna do that, make someone care about a digital pet or house? It's necessary imo.

Sorry that happened to you. Take a break or retire from ark, up to you. If you ask me, I go into ark accepting that anything and everything can be lost. Let's be honest with ourselves, the notion that we are investing hundreds or thousands of hours into this game is probably irresponsible, added on the fact of how fragile we all know it is, it's really ludicrous ^_^. But it's fun as hell, addictive, and you meet people so its worth it.

Ive basically only lost good tames by disconnecting its aggravating especially when its an imprinted one. I wouldnt give a poop if I was actually irresponsible with it and got it killed but thats not the case. Im saying that since they require us to spend so much time in the game they could at least try to prevent glitchy things its why half the players quit

1 minute ago, Vita said:

Ive basically only lost good tames by disconnecting its aggravating especially when its an imprinted one.

I understand. It's the same for me in hardcore, I really only ever die from disconnects or pvp. Lost a full Metal base and like 50 plus tames tied to a solo hc character from this, like 3 months of work. 

3 hours ago, Vita said:

A giant wall of text without paragraphs.

I think that there are some issues plaguing ARK that are very frustrating. As a survival game I expect it to be hard. I already assume that I'll lose my big tames from time to time but I also plan to have backup plans in place for when that stuff happens, such as kibble ready for a new tame, etc.

With that said, I've also stopped playing ARK, for the time being, because the amount of time invested vs how easy it is to lose things is way too unbalanced, even as a survival game, and I'm used to playing Diablo 3 Hardcore & other full loot MMO's, etc. Server stability issues, PvP balance issues, are just some of the things that need to be fixed ASAP.

1 hour ago, Drignock said:

Not to be a negative Nancy. But my solution which I've been using since day one is play on boosted servers. But that's because I'm an impatient old fart. I'm not spending hours taming and mating and all that mumbo jumbo. Tried playing on a normal server. I'm pretty sure i suffered an aneurism. 

Been there.

I started out shortly after the game released, started a base, saw like 10 communities come & go on the official server, some good, some very toxic.

But after the Winter Event, early 2016, a feeling rose. The "been there, done that" feeling.

My guildmates burnt out and left, and I remained to log in and keep the farm going. It became a chore. ARK is not my main game, I have a social life and I grew tired with the tame 'dino X, farm egss, make kibble, tame dyno Y' treadmill. In short: I like to play other games too, watch movies and did not want to spend so much time just to reset timers, replenish food and oil.

That said: I launched an unofficial server, created a server cluster to transfer inbetween (Island-SE-Center), and it has boosted taming and boosted farming. So we can spend less chopping wood and more time killing each other. Few good much needed mods added into the mix, a good RL community, and we got 3 ppl making map extensions from time to time so we got some extra caves, a desert biome on the Island, severe storms/fog etc etc.

If someone loses a dino because of a glitch, it will be restored. And people can now play other games without having to worry that heir bases will be destroyed.

Wouldn't go back official now anymore.

52 minutes ago, NukeZX said:

I launched an unofficial server, created a server cluster to transfer inbetween (Island-SE-Center), and it has boosted taming and boosted farming. So we can spend less chopping wood and more time killing each other. Few good much needed mods added into the mix, a good RL community, and we got 3 ppl making map extensions from time to time so we got some extra caves, a desert biome on the Island, severe storms/fog etc etc.

If someone loses a dino because of a glitch, it will be restored. And people can now play other games without having to worry that heir bases will be destroyed.

Wouldn't go back official now anymore.

This is where the fun is. Unless you're on an extinction server, official servers are russian roulette: eventually, you're gonna hit that server with the really crappy alpha tribe who burns everyone down to keep power, or that server a foreign streamer has declared his kingdom and is policed by his viewers. On unofficial servers, the admins care. On unofficial servers, they have the time, ability, and good sense to fix problems, spice things up where it counts, and bleed troublemakers dry. On unofficial servers, you know the people surviving with you. Outside of SOTF, unofficial servers are the future of ARK.

You behave as if those dinos were made to last forever. Dinos are tools you use to achieve a goal. They are a means to an end. Not more. You are acting as if the dinos were that actual "end" and you cry over losing them.

You would not cry about breaking a hammer when building a house. You would just get a new one.

i hear Alot of bad things and glitches yes glitches suck and they happen even to good tribes or alpha tribes
But i also read Alpha tribes are bad and yes i know some alpha tribes are evil and kill people.
We are a 2 man alpha tribe we help people and help people get started we sell dinos to people etc.
We do have russians on server who once were stronger with their 3 gigas (they claimed em) but we have tamed 10 gigas and surpassed them easily!
We do try to take care of evil people :)

8 hours ago, Eichkater said:

You behave as if those dinos were made to last forever. Dinos are tools you use to achieve a goal. They are a means to an end. Not more. You are acting as if the dinos were that actual "end" and you cry over losing them.

You would not cry about breaking a hammer when building a house. You would just get a new one.

You are completely missing his point. 

18 hours ago, Drignock said:

Not to be a negative Nancy. But my solution which I've been using since day one is play on boosted servers. But that's because I'm an impatient old fart. I'm not spending hours taming and mating and all that mumbo jumbo. Tried playing on a normal server. I'm pretty sure i suffered an aneurism. 

Yeah, preach to the choir. I have about 5 mins on an official server, talked to some friends that were playing it and decided to start my own server because no way was I going to be able to tame critters and keep my day job :D

Ark can be a harsh game.

Literally everyone I know and have played with has lost tames to stupid stuff like this from time to time, myself included. My tribemate lost his perfect tamed 120 direbear (before 5.0) because...it was on passive, he was playing without sound on and a raptor was attacking it while he worked on a build just feet away. My other tribemate's manta beached itself, which granted is typical for its kind, but still sucks. There was a time when all aquatics did that, not just mantas. I've lost my own animals from rubberbanding, DCes, chat lag dismounts while flying...and sometimes being just plain stupid like not looking before I hop off a mount to grab a drop.

By far the worst loss for me was when the last big across the board nerf bat smashed every tamed animal in the face. My beautiful, perfect 120 tamed dossier spino was hit so hard he was knocked back into the Precambrian era. He was my favorite animal by far, recognizable by almost everyone on my server. He was my alpha killer who once stood toe to toe with a level 100 alpha rex and feasted on its prime. I was so heartbroken at his crippling that I never rode him again.

That's progress, as they say. I'll recreate him someday, as a much stronger animal.

Take a break, relax, play something else. It's just a game and if you're not having fun, it's definitely worth waiting until some time has passed, maybe some new stuff is added and it'll feel fun again. Or not. FWIW I hope you'll find the game fun again someday.

Archived