A Pokemon style gameplay mod?

Aidion

5 minutes ago, Aidion said:

Ya see I bet he just hasn't tried hard enough I bet if we pestering the DEVS enough we could even get them behind it ;)

... I do not think it's very useful ... To make a mod of "cages pocket" requires use like C ++, or so the guy who tried to do it said. The only option is to allow access the C ++ code in the DevKit (or something like I do not know much about it). Or that include "pocket cages" in tek tier.

On 11/01/2016 at 1:04 AM, Mezzo said:

I would say not tried hard enough:D 

-snip-

I don't think i want to make this mod but just to show it's do-able.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. From what I've seen, before seeing you've done it to an extent, I figured it would be possible.

Looks like a relatively simple means of hitting the actor, grabbing/storing variables and spawning the actor again with the previously set variables upon hit again, no?

-WM

On 11/1/2016 at 3:34 PM, Mezzo said:

I would say not tried hard enough:D 

I don't think i want to make this mod but just to show it's do-able.

it is relatively easy but that when the server restarts remain taking dinosaurs is complicated.

At least until the developers do not change the way they kept the objects

-My friend (speaking with me about this)

Storing the variables is not easy but possible. It certainly is not an easy task at all and will require lot's of creative workarounds to make it well but from the 6 month experience i got with the devkit so far, it should be possible even without c++.

An example: you are right that is is difficult to store a dino with all it's values at the moment and make it spawn again. What i did in the video is not despawning the dino, instead im making it simply invisibile, without collision and invulnerable and save a reference to it first on the grenade projectile and then on a buff when it get's picked up(that's another workaround because storing variables on items is currently only possible by hijacking unused variables on it, so you don't get to decide what variable type you have available) when it gets picked up. When the player throws it again it moves the dino to the hit location and resets all those changes. This system would certainly require more work to make it viable for a real mod but it's a way.

Going for a total conversion with this would make some of those workarounds obsolete.

he needs to make a structured array
where he stores the dino class, and the dino's status component

48074c9f9c.jpg

6057838e0f.jpg

5c7e4757b7.png

then he needs to make sure 'save game' is checked, that will store it for server restarts

simple

takes 5 mins for him to implement that
once he has the class of dino and the dino's status component, he can spawn a new dino of the same class, and copy the status component over to it
idk if colors will copy over tho
and i doubt inventory would too

that would require further steps, but not hard, and definitely not impossible

either that, or he could put them somewhere in the world and apply a buff that would keep them alive, then just move them on deploy, similar to what he is doing
and remove the buff
then all he has to do is store the primal dino char reference in an array, and make sure that array has 'save game' checked
thats it's done

id put them under water @ 0 0 -18000
and have a buff that adds food and oxygen every second

that would be the easy way

a buff that never expires, so he doesnt have to worry about maintaining the buff

just needs to remove it when the dinosaur is called

-My friend, jslay (speaking with me about this)

On 10/1/2016 at 6:48 AM, Neizan said:
Just now, Grone said:

A boy tries to do for quite some time, but said it can not do because of DevKit limitations. Hopefully someday see something like that you said!

Yes, he said me in PM that is impossible to make it because he need C++
Other friends (modders) told me, that it is possible to do so without C++

It is entirely possible without source access, and has been for quite some time, just nobody really thought about how it could be accomplished, namely because that person doesn't appear to have developed a single mod on the workshop so they have no working knowledge. They would have just looked around at a few files and said nope, can't see anything that will do this for me.

It's relatively easy to make this style of mod work, complicated, yes, quite, but easy nonetheless.

-WM

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/1/2016 at 0:37 PM, WoefulMacabre said:

It is entirely possible without source access, and has been for quite some time, just nobody really thought about how it could be accomplished, namely because that person doesn't appear to have developed a single mod on the workshop so they have no working knowledge. They would have just looked around at a few files and said nope, can't see anything that will do this for me.

It's relatively easy to make this style of mod work, complicated, yes, quite, but easy nonetheless.

-WM

=)

Far be it from me to bite off more than I can chew, but this doesn't sound like all that difficult a proposition. Assuming the Ark Dev Kit has all of the functionality of UE4 blueprint, it sounds like something that could be accomplished with the following steps:

• Function as a throwable projectile, or a weapon that "fires"
  • At point of impact, do a sweep for nearby incapacitated dinos
  • Take the closest and copy all of its relevant parameters to a struct that is contained on the ball
  • Destroy the Dino actor
  • Next time the ball is thrown, the game spawns another dino with the same parameters at the point of impact.

I can see some potential for hijinx, and it might lead to some unusual behavior if the dino can't spawn without colliding, but it doesn't sound not doable. I'll take a crack at this and see what can be done. Sounds like a fun little experiment that some people might enjoy.

Disclaimer: This is all theory until I've had a chance to try it in-engine. I'll get cracking on that and see if I can't get back in a day or two.

Edit: I noticed that someone above me has gotten the simple catch and respawn work done. It'll obviously be a matter of the saving of the ball that will be troublesome. I'm still going to give it a shot, but I'm not that great with the network side/verification, etc.

Archived